• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Fishing Kayak??

Finally looking at getting myself a kayak this year for fishing, there seems to be so many choices out there though... looking for whats best for stability?

I'm a big guy so something that's good for comfort, and ease of transitioning from sitting to standing

Thanks!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Might want to shoot Eye guy and Rick G a pm. They definitely have the knowledge to help you out as they are both Avid kayakers. 

On 2/12/2018 at 11:19 AM, bassman186 said:

Finally looking at getting myself a kayak this year for fishing, there seems to be so many choices out there though... looking for whats best for stability?

I'm a big guy so something that's good for comfort, and ease of transitioning from sitting to standing

Thanks!

Big guys are usually better off in a sit on top (SOT) model of whatever brand is chosen.

You’re right, there’s a ton of choices out there these days so price might be a criteria for choosing?  Not sure what your budget is.

I like Ocean brand myself.  Old Town is good and has a Predator model that has a great looking seat.  A thin foam pad is good for a while but a nice mesh chair type seat would be awesome.  One could always add padding to the thin foam styles though.

The most stable looking kayak I’ve seen lately is the Advanced Angler 120.  But it comes with weight, as all the bigger yaks do.

I’ll say the next brand I’ll look deeper into is Crow Wing Kayaks, made here in MN.  They tout maximum stability and reports I’ve personally heard from new owners is they love em and live up to the stability claim.

Hope that helps!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Clearwater Outfitters would be a great place for you to get info and you can try the yaks out right there. Not quite yet tho. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have a Future Beach Angler 144 and I love it. 12 footer. 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
16 hours ago, nathanross said:

Hello.  What is the best fishing kayak on the market that is reasonably priced (i.e. under $1000)? I would also like to know if there is a good resource for purchasing fishing kayaks at discounted prices.

My 1st (and only) kayak is the Lifetime teton angler 10'. It's very reasonably priced for someone who is a beginner, and it is stable and well-made in the USA :) It has a great seat, two rod holders, and some storage in the front and back. It has universal track mounts on both sides for electronics if you want (I am going to be adding a Garmin Striker 4 soon) All for about $450 I think that it's a great beginner kayak, although I do not see myself upgrading anytime soon because the teton is such a solid kayak. 

I have been running a Perception Sound and an Old Town Vapor for the last couple years, love them both, good sit in kayaks.

Looked at the Perception Pescidor for a sit on style.