• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

derbier122x

Pike help

derbier122x

I've recently started trying to catch northerns.  Trying being a key word. For every fish I get up the hole, I lose 4 or so more on the way up or at the bottom of the hole. I've tried different hooks, letting them take it for a while, getting on em right away... What do you do that works?

ba_luck

Are you using Tip ups? I always have a treble hook on. If you're using those sounds like you either aren't setting the hook, or you're not keep constant tension. 

Hoey

For years I used what I know as a quick strike rig.  Basically two treble hooks tied together on 4 to 6 inch leads.  After fishing the ocean, I found that a circle hook works better for me.  It takes sometime to adjust - as you need to avoid the hookset jerk we are most accustomed to doing.  The hook up is always in the jaw hinge, solid, will not release or pull out, never gets in the gills or the throat of the fish or hook the bottom of the hole.  My success rate is like 8 or 9 out of 10 fish when they take the bait and start moving.  I hook the bait across the back ahead of the dorsal fin.  Good Luck!!!  

• Like 1

Wanderer

Circle hooks for me too.

Also, don’t force the fish at the hole.  Control the fight but let it happen.  It’s not a race to get the fish topside and if you make it so, the fish often wins.

• Like 3

Hoey

Here is proof!!!  A small 32"  See the circle hook?

5a7b66deb084b_IMG_221732inch.thumb.JPG.ea8633bd7b224ccb6291157706ab518d.JPG

A smile!IMG_2220.thumb.JPG.cb6ce9f23475dbc16da8d51222178df2.JPG

And a 38"5a7b6742b462b_IMG_222338incher.thumb.JPG.40096439431ded5c220ac17e51911c35.JPG

• Like 3

derbier122x

Sounds like something I'll have to try. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

PRO-V

Don't forget the Coor's. That was probably crucial to success!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

derbier122x

More of a Busch guy, but the pike I do catch, normally come after cracking open a cold one...

• Like 1

BobT
On 2/7/2018 at 2:54 PM, Hoey said:

Here is proof!!!  A small 32"  See the circle hook?

Okay, I didn't catch it right away so I thought you were referring to the gaff hook as the circle hook.  :lol:

• Like 1

Mike89
2 hours ago, BobT said:

Okay, I didn't catch it right away so I thought you were referring to the gaff hook as the circle hook.  :lol:

had to re-look at the pic too!!!:lol:

• Like 1

SaintPaulPaul
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, derbier122x said:

More of a Busch guy, but the pike I do catch, normally come after cracking open a cold one...

Switch to regular Budweiser and they seem to just jump out of the hole:P. No, seriously the way I improved my landing success through the ice was to go to small treble hooks. One small one on a 6' leader, a weight and Colorado blade above the leader seems to work for me. If you are on the flag right away, you don't risk gut-hooking them. I also recycle my Power Pro musky line and put it on tip ups. Also, I should add that I always  have a jaw-spreader and 8" forceps for quick and easy hook removal.

Edited by SaintPaulPaul
Additional info
  • Like 2