• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Jim Almquist

Today 3 different huts were out on the lake fishing. No Chance No way but some people don't value their life more than a fish.

trumy

Can't  fix stupid is the way the saying goes I believe 

I fish, therefore I lie

I saw them, too. They weren't out too far beyond the Duluth entry. Upon closer examination with  binoculars, each shelter had a slogan written on it with an arrow pointing to the adjacent shelter that read "I'M WITH STUPID"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jarrid Houston

Yeah, pretty crazy.  I am going to assume the 2nd and 3rd shack showed up seeing that the 1st shack was there.  Hope no-one gets there pickle caught in a pickle grinder.  Something I should write about for this weekend.  Stay safe!

Xplorer

There was one person out this morning about a 100 yards or so, off of what would be about 17/18th Ave East.

Saw them as I was heading to work at 8.  There is a line of broken ice that runs parallel to shore where ice sheets collided a couple days ago. Not sure I'd want to be crossing that.  

climbmda

Pretty amazed to still see people out there yesterday afternoon. A lot of the ice that was there over the weekend was gone. Then, the ice people were fishing on was separated from the broken and refrozen ice nearer to shore by some sketchy looking, dark gray "ice".  That, with a SW wind....  No way you would see me risking it.

Nothing on the news, so I assume they all survived.

osok
On 2/7/2018 at 8:17 AM, Jarrid Houston said:

Yeah, pretty crazy.  I am going to assume the 2nd and 3rd shack showed up seeing that the 1st shack was there.  Hope no-one gets there pickle caught in a pickle grinder.  Something I should write about for this weekend.  Stay safe!

Would be a GREAT topic to write about (again (and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either)). 

AlwaysFishing23

I watched the first anglers venture out on the TH web came two weeks ago Saturday and was drooling while watching them. I’ve fished out there many times and I’ve never fished the harwater on the Great Lakes yet. Sure it’s quite risky but just to try it would be dream come true.

JBMasterAngler

Go to Chequamegon Bay. Way better ice conditions, and more fish to catch. I’m hoping to get up there sometime soon.

Jim Almquist

The ice is gone now. More than likely won't be anymore this year.

Wanderer
On 2/16/2018 at 7:13 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

Go to Chequamegon Bay. Way better ice conditions, and more fish to catch. I’m hoping to get up there sometime soon.

That’s a bucket list trip for me.  No reason that I haven’t been there yet outside of the fact it isn’t in my normal territory.  And that’s an ironic statement for me to make!

Come to think of it, I should just plan it and go.  It’ll never happen otherwise.  Anybody got any pointers for heading that direction?  I wouldn’t even know where to start.  Pretty self sufficient for gear and travel and could figure it out eventually but a helping hand or even a guide reference would be appreciated.

Jarrid Houston

Wanderer, stop in at the River Rock bait shop in Ashland and they will get you pointed in the right direction.  They are always pretty cool about that.  Fishing near Ashland off of 2nd landing can be good.  Don't need nothing more than regular walleye gear, and some tip-ups and really there is no rhyme or reason where a guy should set up shop. Its a pretty wide open water and the fish that live there are always on the move. For us, most often, the sit and wait pays off.  It has been slower as of late, but still some fish..  Good luck, JH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JBMasterAngler

On the Bayfield side of the bay, the target depth is typically 10 to 40 ft. The basswood island area is where they go after lakers. There’s a plowed road that goes out there. As of last week the ice was about 20 inches in that area, might be thicker now. Check out the Bayfield webcam, you can see what kind of activity is going on.

• Thanks 1

Wanderer

Thanks guys.  I checked out Modis for ice coverage and Navionics to help understand how things are laid out.  Knowing what areas certain fish prefer and those typical depths is a big plus.

Jarrid Houston

Roads to the islands always need to be taken very cautious and I would encourage going with someone who knows the area..  I believe they were shutting down the highway H extension due to this recent weather we just got?  Plenty of fish and opportune situtations in the bay.

LoonASea

I fished out there last wednesday ,,, Launched out of Washburn and headed towards Houghton Pt ,,, Lots of current on the brakes to deeper water ,,, Ended up getting 2 splake and one whitefish ,, Marked lots of interested fish just didnt get hooked ,,, Hope to get back out there soon but now that we got snow Im gonna hit the snowmobile trails while it lasts   

steel hunter

Was thinking about heading up the shore for some open water fishing. Was just wondering if their is alot of ice floating around and if not wat kind of wind would make it difficult to fish from shore? Thanks

nlayne882

Lot of ice on the shore, only place to fish as of Thursday is two harbors breakwall

svingla

Looking for a report on the ice that is showing up on MODIS by Duluth. Is this a solid slab or a dense field of busted up ice? Is anybody accessing it to fish?

Jim Almquist

It is all busted up ice that blew in with the strong east wind. No one out and no way is it safe unless you have zero value for your life.

svingla

Thanks for the information Jim.

steel hunter

Is fishing from shore possible or is the ice still around? Thanks

LoonASea

Skim ice keeps showing up on calmer nites with colder temps ,,, Still seeing guys shore fishing in areas of open water ,,, McQuade  is still iced in and there were a few boats launched out of Two Harbors last week but now its iced in again ,,, It wont be long and the crowds will be lining the shore from McQuade to Stoney Point

• Like 1