• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

opsirc

Taping reels to rods

opsirc

I used a self adhering tape to attach them,  but now the tape is getting sticky and a pain to use.  Any ideas what something else too use?

Thanks

Tom Sawyer

Use a layer of painters (blue) masking tape on cork first, to help protect it, then apply whatever you want. Electrical tape is used by most, but I like using hockey tape. You must of used a type of friction tape which is very sticky. That stuff is great for hockey stick handles....

• Thumbs Up 2

eyeguy 54

plus 1 on electrical tape or colored duct tape. :)  I like smooth.

Tom Sawyer
6 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

plus 1 on electrical tape or colored duct tape. :)  I like smooth.

They make colored electrical tape too.....

eyeguy 54

sure do but I had 3 rolls of colored duct tape in garage. ;) 

Wanderer

White hockey tape for this guy too.

BriGuy88

Hockey tape for me.  Bought a roll 10 years ago and probably have another 10 years left in it, unless I go on a shopping spree for rods/reels! 

AlwaysFishing23

Masking tape on rod handle then electrical tape reel to rod. Works good!

Rick G

The white hockey tape, then black electric tape over.  The hockey tape by itself gets too wet for me. The black electric tape sheds water better than the hockey tape.  After a few yrs of use the black will leave a gunky residue on the rod if used by itself

Have also tried the reel bands, not a big fan of them when fighting a big fish.

Wanderer
59 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Have also tried the reel bands, not a big fan of them when fighting a big fish.

Ditto this. ^^^^.  Plus they eventually crack and break.

AlwaysFishing23

Agreed a buddy of mine uses the little green bands from bait shops for minnow bags very stiff but hold reels on very secure. Personally I don’t like rods that have to have reels taped on just because I like trying new reels with rods and I’m always switching things around.

Borch

I've always just used electrical tape.  It stretches and forms to the reel foot and rod handle.  Usually stays secure and sheds water.  I don't switch reels often so taking the tape off is not a big issue for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

IceHawk

Electrical tape for me nice and smooth. If your worried about the residue at the end of the season a little tip is rub  toothpaste on the cork work it around then wash in water.  Cleans them up takes the scum off and they look good as new when done. 

• Thumbs Up 2

eyeguy 54

and they will smell minty fresh! ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Alex wilhelmi

Zip ties then wrap with electric tape. Fish on . And beer on.

eyeguy 54

What to do when grandkids nap

IMG_4205.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

opsirc

eyeguy

is that tape, or shrink tubing?

eyeguy 54

Electric tape. 

IceHawk

Adding a little color to help catch those little colored fish you sent me to try and  match the hatch :grin:

• Haha 1

eyeguy 54
28 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Adding a little color to help catch those little colored fish you sent me to try and  match the hatch :grin:

You know me well ;)

IMG_4216.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Bass Thumb

Teflon tape or painters tape under 3M electrical tape. I felt a little stretch and play in the reel using the cheapest electrical tape.