• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

#m2

Does anyone know if big pine lake mn. By perham is safe  to drive on.. I'm driving ram 1500 hemi... and r the walleyes biting...thanks....

Edited by #m2

Westy

Walleye are on fire   If you are not sure where to drive stay off     full of springs    

blackswanadventures

How about giving advice instead of telling others just to stay off? lets be more encouraging 

Parmer

Call the bait shop in Perham... They will be more than helpful... One of the best lakes I have ice fished besides LOW

Chill62
On 1/17/2018 at 7:40 PM, #m2 said:

Does anyone know if big pine lake mn. By perham is safe  to drive on.. I'm driving ram 1500 hemi... and r the walleyes biting...thanks....

Sorry I just saw this post,  If you are looking for posts on this lake contact me since our cabin is on the north side of the lake or what I would suggest is posting on the Perham/Ottertail County Forum.  I check it regularly and so does a lot of people and can get you answers in a more timely and better fashion the responses you got.  Granted Parmer did state it best Gene's Bait Shop in Perham is a great source of information.  Just be careful of the two rivers flowing into the lake and one flowing out for thinner ice.

Tight Lines!

• Like 1

Ben Mattis
Posted (edited)

Headed to little pine the second week of June.  Usually I am there in august or september and troll with shiners or worms. Should I be jigging with shiners since i'm earlier??? Or something else?? Thanks in advance...I will glady buy ya a beer at zorbas for the advice!!

Edited by Ben Mattis

Borch

If you have wind, trolling cranks up shallow will get you eyes, pike and crappies.   Darn nice crappies by the way.

Otherwise, rigging or rigging the outside weededge has been good when I've fished it in the past.

If you ask this question in the Ottertail area forum you might will get a better response.

• Like 1

IceHawk

Don't rule out jigging raps have had some success on both Big and Little Pine doing this. 

• Like 2

Chill62

Sorry for the delay in responses guys.  

As IceHawk stated don't put the ice gear away for the walleyes.  Seeing a lot of guys doing well with them on big pine.

The guys are cruising in front of our cabin at evening up shallow in that 5-9 feet of water trolling plugs.  Also hearing a lot of guys doing well with Leeches.  I personally have only seen one so far in my boat but I think my boat is cursed for walleyes.  Neighbor has caught a few but he's working hard and only getting 2-3 at a trip.  Have heard guys finding the schools of walleyes where they will catch 20+ fish but can't keep anything because it's in the slot.

The lake frustrates me personally for the walleyes.

Crappies and panfish have started really picking up and we've been targeting them as of lately.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• eg_gophers2124
      By eg_gophers2124
      We have rented a cabin on Sylvan Lake between Pillager and Brainerd for the family this weekend. My 13 year old really would like to find some bass and pike. I have never fished the lake and don't fish for bass or pike often, does anyone have a fishing report and tips of what depth/lures to use? We do have a boat to get around the lake. 
      TIA
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are currently hovering in the mid 70’s.

Minnesota walleye action has been really good with bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Gold spinners with hints of chartreuse, orange or just hammered gold are favored.  Walleye and occasional large pike can be had trolling deep diving crank baits around shoreline breaks and reefs.

Canadian walleye fishing continues to excite anglers via jigs and minnows. Pink or white jigs tipped with shiners will put fish in the boat.  Night crawlers on spinners will produce fish in the mud deeper than 25 feet. 

Musky action has been all over the place, fish are still being found in sandy, weedy bays, rock points and reefs.  The nearing new moon should have fish on the prowl this week. 

Congratulations to our neighbor and local guide, Forrest Huset and his dad Sean on their victory at the Lake of the Woods Musky Bowl this weekend!

Another neighbor, Jerry Klema, landed a 29 1/2 inch trophy walleye last week!

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!
      In Minnesota, walleye have been found using green, gold and orange spinners in 24-30 ft.  Jigging in the morning on tops of the reef has been the most productive.
      In Ontario, walleye fishing has been very good jigging on top of reefs as well, with gold and orange being the hot colors.  Musky fishing has been heating up as muskies are moving to the reefs and windblown points.  Multiple muskies have been caught over 50 inches within the last week.
      Happy Independence Day!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, Walleye fishing has been good in 18-28ft pulling hammered gold and orange lindy rigs.  Jigging has also been very productive on top of the reefs before the Walleye move out deeper onto the flats.  Key areas have been Dawson Island, Little Oak and Shady Island.

In Ontario, Walleye have been found deeper in 22-30ft.  A gold or chartreuse jig with a fathead or frozen shiner have been producing well around Deepwater bay, West side of Falcon and Gardner Island.  Many fish over 24 inches including a few Northern Pike and Muskie.  

Good luck and keep your lines wet!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello, from Sunset Lodge!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. In Minnesota, high winds limited fishing areas but many of our guests were able to find the walleyes stacked up on the humps pulling spinners.  Gold and green crawler harnesses are working the best.

In Canada, working a slower presentation such as a lift and drag technique has been most effective.  Limits of walleye are being caught using gold and chartreus colors in 18-22 ft.  Key areas have been Deepwater Bay, Monkey Rocks and the west side of Falcon Island.  Smallmouth fishing has been heating up as well, using a jig and plastic on the rocks. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      In Minnesota, walleye fishing has been fantastic! Using a jig and minnow or a bobber rig, walleye can be had anywhere from 3-15 feet in the evening and 18-25 during the day. Pink and white, chartreuse or blue and white jigs have been the most productive.

Canadian walleye are being found a little deeper at 22-26 feet. Many nice fish were caught this last week, multiple 26-28 inch and a very nice 30 incher. A jig and frozen shiner is the go to, however a freshly dead fathead works equally as well.

Surface water temps are in the high 50’s at sunrise, reaching mid to upper 60’s by evening after this sunny Memorial day weekend!

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• fisherjmb
      My parents were up yesterday and Wednesday and they did pretty good. Out in the mud in about 33-34 feet. Lots of boats were trolling but they did well looking for pods of fish and then spot-locking over the top of them and jigging with leeches and frozen shiners. 
    • Jmnhunter
      i havent been out in for atleast a month out there but check out walleye dan's facebook, he usually posts a report weekley; https://www.visitbrainerd.com/blog/fishing-report-july-16-2018/
    • ifishwalleye
      Hi, I’m looking for a fresh report for this weekend. Thanks in advance! Good Fishing!
    • roony
      Is the water starting to recede on the lakes East of Orr? I heard it was really high on Myrtle. We're coming up to Black Duck in a week or so, just wondering if things are getting back more towards normal. 
    • AlwaysFishing23
      I’ve fished sylvan heavily the last two years. Done very well. Many nice pike, bass, walleye, and bluegill. For pike trolling shadraps pretty much any where will get you all the 20”-25” pike you want. Plenty of dence cover all over for bass and that is the usual bass presentations. And for gills in the spring the channel between the two bays was VERY good this past spring went three days in a row and got 2 limits each time ( two angles in the boat) and relesed many many more.  Also the panfish limit on sylvan is 5 per person so be aware of that. I was out there 2 weeks ago and did ok. Again two limits of nice gills and a handful of pike but it took a lot of work to find them. I’m unsure of the walleye fishing out there but have heard it’s a good lake. Im not an expert on sylvan but know a little so hope this helps ya out. Good luck!
    • BartmanMN
      Thanks Cliff. I am coming up for my week of paradise tomorrow as well.
    • tacklejunkie
      The last two times on the river have been slow to say the least. Trolled Shipping channels, river channels, and all the flats. Crawler harnesses and crank baits. Anybody having any luck out there?
    • gimruis
      If the water is that clear and you can see 17-20 feet down, the fish will be very spooky.  And if the sun is out, they will be looking for relief from the sun in the form of shade.  Night time might actually be a better option.
    • gimruis
      Not terrible.  But they can be merciless, I will tell you.
    • Mike89
      below the darn is a park there too if I remember right, Plus Garden City has a park by the river too I think..