• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

#m2

Does anyone know if big pine lake mn. By perham is safe  to drive on.. I'm driving ram 1500 hemi... and r the walleyes biting...thanks....

Edited by #m2

Westy

Walleye are on fire   If you are not sure where to drive stay off     full of springs    

blackswanadventures

How about giving advice instead of telling others just to stay off? lets be more encouraging 

Parmer

Call the bait shop in Perham... They will be more than helpful... One of the best lakes I have ice fished besides LOW

Chill62
On 1/17/2018 at 7:40 PM, #m2 said:

Does anyone know if big pine lake mn. By perham is safe  to drive on.. I'm driving ram 1500 hemi... and r the walleyes biting...thanks....

Sorry I just saw this post,  If you are looking for posts on this lake contact me since our cabin is on the north side of the lake or what I would suggest is posting on the Perham/Ottertail County Forum.  I check it regularly and so does a lot of people and can get you answers in a more timely and better fashion the responses you got.  Granted Parmer did state it best Gene's Bait Shop in Perham is a great source of information.  Just be careful of the two rivers flowing into the lake and one flowing out for thinner ice.

Tight Lines!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ben Mattis

Headed to little pine the second week of June.  Usually I am there in august or september and troll with shiners or worms. Should I be jigging with shiners since i'm earlier??? Or something else?? Thanks in advance...I will glady buy ya a beer at zorbas for the advice!!

Edited by Ben Mattis

Borch

If you have wind, trolling cranks up shallow will get you eyes, pike and crappies.   Darn nice crappies by the way.

Otherwise, rigging or rigging the outside weededge has been good when I've fished it in the past.

If you ask this question in the Ottertail area forum you might will get a better response.

• Thumbs Up 1

IceHawk

Don't rule out jigging raps have had some success on both Big and Little Pine doing this. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Chill62

Sorry for the delay in responses guys.  

As IceHawk stated don't put the ice gear away for the walleyes.  Seeing a lot of guys doing well with them on big pine.

The guys are cruising in front of our cabin at evening up shallow in that 5-9 feet of water trolling plugs.  Also hearing a lot of guys doing well with Leeches.  I personally have only seen one so far in my boat but I think my boat is cursed for walleyes.  Neighbor has caught a few but he's working hard and only getting 2-3 at a trip.  Have heard guys finding the schools of walleyes where they will catch 20+ fish but can't keep anything because it's in the slot.

The lake frustrates me personally for the walleyes.

Crappies and panfish have started really picking up and we've been targeting them as of lately.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, we are finding Perch, Walleye and Sauger, with 23-25 ft in the gravel being the most succesful. A lot of fish pulled from these areas were found to be preying on crawfish and spitting them up upon surfacing.  Pink and white has been the top producing color combo once again. It is equally important to keep charging your glow lures. During periods of extreme cold the Dead-stick was most effective. Very nice Saugers are still being caught out of 28-29 ft.  The best action has been early and late in the day. 

Canada has been providing mixed bags, seeing Perch, Crappie, Walleye and big Northerns.  A couple of limits of big crappies again this week, 30-33ft being the most successful depth. Big walleye and northern found in Little Traverse on rock reefs. 

We received 8+ inches of snow within the past few days, trails have large drifts that are hard to see, take caution in low light conditions until trail can be groomed.

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Fishing remains consistently strong on the Minnesota side this week. Many species are quick to bite leaving anglers with a very mixed bag at the end of the day. We saw multiple 40+ inch Northern, many Perch, even a Lake Trout among an already strong Walleye bite. 22-24 ft on gravel bottom surrounded by mud has been our best spots. Be sure to charge up any Glow tackle in use, with the increasing snow cover, glow or lighted lures have been hot. Pink/white and gold are also very effective on sunny days.
      The Canadian bite just keeps getting better! Crappies can be found in 30 foot holes while 22-26 ft flats on break lines have been hot for a Sauger/Walleye mix.
      Remember to stick to well-traveled trails as most have not been staked/marked as of yet.
      Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• jtnjenn
      By jtnjenn
      What are ice depths in the metro right now?
    • Hatto018
      By Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.   
      Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake. 

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Dash 1
      I just wrote to those five people. I am amazed at how I live in the South Haven area and yet every time I learn about these meetings after they happen. And they don’t understand why we feel they want us to stay off “their lake”.  Need to be more open and up front publicly about these meetings. As I have stated before in another forum, I have not fished Sylvia since this was implemented. Also I have not bought bait or boat gas in South Haven the last 2 years. I will spend my money where it is welcomed. I have been cleaning my boat at landings for years, plus power washing it when I get home. I am sure many good anglers/boaters do as well and for them to make us go through this inspection, which is out of the way and not even open 24 hours is rediculous. I am all for stopping the spread of AIS, but there needs to be better ways of doing a it than keeping the lake from all users.  We need everyone to get involved in this even if you don’t live near these lakes.  AIS is affecting us all but we need everyone to speak up about how it will be dealt with, or more lakes will be “closed” to the public with this inspection program.
    • CLPDB
      Ten Point what resort were you out of?  Thinking of going up this weekend.
    • gimruis
      I haven't seen many yet. I did see a good number of pheasants on a drive to and from Pierz the other day though.
    • gimruis
      My point was that I don't want ANY ethanol in an engine/motor that gets used for a while and then sits there - that's why I run ethanol free premium in them.  The ethanol sits there and gums up vital engine parts.  All of my irregular use engines are modern 4-strokes that run very smoothly and use a minimal amount of fuel and I'm going to do everything I can to keep them like that.  I use normal 87 or 89 octane unleaded in my truck because I use that almost every day all year round.
    • BIGFISH.JZ
      Got 5 nice 12"ers to fill my special regulation lake limit.. Morning bite was as good as evening bite has been. Released another 7 smaller 10" class fish. Fished 545-700 am. Crappie minnows were the bait of choice today. 1 rod was all I could handle with these suicidal slabs. Had one snap my 4# test flourocarbon leader on the hookset. 
    • creepworm
      The issue with that is, the DNR strongly supports "AIS Prevention" such as these inspections. So I doubt the DNR will stop funding activities on lakes that are doing something they would like to see expanded.
    • BIGFISH.JZ
      This is from a major marine engine maufacturer, YAMAHA, perhaps you have heard of them... "Not long after the introduction of E10 gasoline, boats using it began experiencing problems. Almost immediately mysterious substances began clogging fuel filters that were later identified as a byproduct of mixing fuel still in the tank containing *MTBE with ethanol-blended gasoline, but that was only a harbinger of things to come. Fuel lines approved for gasoline engines on boats reacted badly with the ethanol additive and started breaking down causing clogged filters; and in cases where the problem was not identified quickly, possible fuel leaks were the result. Any sludge deposits in older fuel tanks began dissolving and were pumped into the fuel system, damaging components and making a mess of filters. And boats with fiberglass fuel tanks were subject to the added nightmare of ethanol actually eating away the resin, which required replacement of the tank and in many cases, serious damage to expensive engine components like valves, carburetors and injectors." *MTBE was used to boost octane pre-ethanol. We won't even go into my opinion of damage I've personally seen in the last 20 years. But if you would like more direct quotes from big name industry leaders let me know.   As I stated before I won't comment or advise unless I have first hand knowledge on the subject... I know NOTHING about biodiesel. Until boats are powered by it, it doesn't even exist in my world. Sorry Bob, I got up early to slay some slab crappie, not research diesel issues. Crappies don't catch themselves!🎣😉
    • BIGFISH.JZ
      This is from Chevron lubricants, released in August 2018, listing the 3 main problems with ethanol blends. "Phase Separation: Gasoline oxygenated with 10 percent ethanol is capable of dissolving far more water than conventional gasoline alone. When this gasoline, ethanol and water blend is cooled, both the water and some of the ethanol become insoluble. The result is that the fuel separates into two layers or phases: an upper gasoline layer and a lower, ethanol-rich water layer. The gasoline layer will have a lower octane number and may cause knocking. The fuel also is less combustible; an engine will not run on the water-ethanol layer.   Corrosion: When water finds its way into the fuel system and combines with air, corrosion of iron and other metallic surfaces can occur, potentially affecting fuel pumps, injectors, fuel tanks, and other metallic components, causing them to degrade and decreasing their useful life. Water resulting from phase separation can also cause rust or corrosion over time.   Deposits: When gasoline components react with the oxygen in the air, the result is the formation of peroxides or gums. Soluble gums can lead to engine deposits, and insoluble gums can plug fuel filters. Deposits can also form throughout an engine’s intake system, including the fuel injectors, carburetor, intake manifold, intake ports and intake valves. The result is a noticeable decrease in engine performance, power and fuel economy, while increasing emissions and drivability." 
    • monstermoose78
      Seeing lots of birds turkey 🦃 time
    • Ten point
      Just got back from LOTW fishing for us was slow. But if you put the time in and watch your electronics it can still be good. We're fishing in 32ft lot of small fish just need to keep the hook away from them several good fish still coming thru. A few slot fish up to 26 1/2 inches walleyes 15 to 17 saugers 14 to 16 lot of water under the snow in spots.