• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone ice fishing the pike river flowage this year? Main lake or narrows upstream of Hwys 1 or 77? I may go this weekend. Thx

Well, check that one of the list. After trudging through the slush Saturday we were rewarded with a handful of undersized crappie. We'll have to try some of the options around Pelican next time. Happy, safe fishing everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Raven77
      By Raven77
      Current Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports - Click Here.
      I'm new to this forum and new to Lake Vermilion.  We just purchased a cabin on the west end of the lake and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can as fast as I can about the lake.
      I have snowmobiles and a portable shack so I can fish almost anywhere there is good ice.  I also have a 16' wheel house that we have used extensively on Lake of the Woods.  Does anyone on the west end of Vermilion plow ice roads to allow access with my wheel house?
      Thanks for any info you can provide!
      Chad
    • mdogdaddy
      By mdogdaddy
      I'm planning a fishing trip to Vermilion this summer. It's been many years since I've been up there.
      I have the Navionics + app on my mobile devices and have been marking spots that look interesting.  One of the spots I marked was a nice hump surrounded by deep water. There was a big difference between the Navionics Nautical Chart view and the Sonar Chart view. It literally disappeared on the Nautical view but showed on the Sonar View. I then ran the map "update all" and from the Sonar view now it was gone from both views with my marker out in the middle of nowhere.
      So I started to look around for other areas that showed a big difference between the two views. (Many areas however do look very similar on both views) I've attached a couple of screen grabs of a spot that has a huge difference. This is on the north side of Pine Island near Matson Island.
      The first is the Nautical Chart view, The second is the Sonar Chart View.
      I always thought that the Sonar Chart would be the most accurate, they look more detailed, plus according to Navionics the Sonar Chart is "constantly being updated by Sonar Logs contributed by million of boaters."
      I'm not really sure if I can trust either?
      To anyone who knows this part of the lake, are there really the holes and humps in this area?  One view shows a 52' hole where the other has 15 FOW.

• JFitz
      By JFitz
      Hey all,
      The Lindner’s recently put up an episode of Al and Billy Rosner fishing Vermilion last October:

I thought it was a good episode and it was really cool seeing such great anglers taking on Vermilion. I know it’s a bit early to be thinking about open water but this show got me to thinking. Has anyone here on the forum successfully targeted shallow, weed-oriented walleyes?? The video proves it can be done, but it’s just not a pattern you hear much about.
      Thanks!
    • Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Anyone know of a good ice fishing lake near vermilion? Perhaps something with a hot panfish bite.
    • Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Has anyone targeted whitefish on Vermilion, specifically Frazer Bay? Any tips?
    • CarterJohn
      By CarterJohn
      Hello everyone I'm just looking for fishing reports in the BWCAW, Ely area. Thanks all
    • Savage Brewer
      By Savage Brewer
      Looking for some recommendations for cabins or other good places to stay on Vermilion.  Hoping to take my wife up for a weekend of ice fishing and then later this summer taking dad up for a while, so I am looking to see where the locals would recommend staying for either season.  For the winter season it would be nice to find a place that also has ice houses to rent, or possibly someone who rents sleeper fish houses as I would love to get on some night bite action.  For a place in the summer it would be nice to have either slips or a ramp onsite.  Pretty open to ideas at this point.

Thank you 
    • guideman
      By guideman
      The Smallmouth action was pretty good for us over the weekend. We spent some time chasing Muskies, however we spent most of our time pounding the Smallies. Docks were the most consistent locations, especially those with reeds near by. To my surprise, most of our fish were caught on spinner baits. We did get a few on sencos and I caught 2 on a Husky jerk.  I did my best to find a few that would take a top water, however all I got for my trouble was about a 15" Pike. We did manage to boat 8 or 10 that were in the 18 and 19 inch range  but most were 12 to 16 inches. One funny little tid bit is that we saw more Muskies while we were Smallmouth fishing than we did Muskie fishing.   
      "Ace"
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• scrapeliner27
      Are these shells still for sale?
    • monstermoose78
      Finn and Hazel watching me like a hawk as have treats.
    • monstermoose78
      I heard some divers are showing up so I will go try for those
    • Wanderer
      Keep looking and sooner or later even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
    • Wanderer
      Very, very few ducks in Ely today.  4 grouse seen with only 1 coming back to camp.   I literally saw more fish today than birds.  And I skipped the fishing gear this time! 😒
    • monstermoose78
      Finn and I hiked the river in Sherburne and only saw 5 swans. 1000 cranes and not one duck or goose.  Saw some guys looking in the grass and they said they dropped a woodduck and Finn found it for them. Boy Finn was mad when I gave them the duck. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      Fished Black Brook Flowage (Apple River) today. This is my kinda lake! Very few houses, small little boat launch. Only caught 2 little pike. Missed a small Muskie, and seen a mid 30’s hovering under the boat. Was tough dealing with the wind, but I like this place. Fishing below the dam with waders is a possibility also. 
    • Wanderer
      I’d like to know what you have also.
    • jerkin'm
      I posted some of my not needed ammo on IDO…I could use some steel if you have it too…
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A really good week of fall walleye fishing.  Big numbers of fish being caught.  It should only improve as water temps get cooler.  This fall has been unseasonably warm. Big numbers of walleyes and saugers are set up along the south shore and anglers are catching a lot of fish.   Most anglers are anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner.  Live shiners are available and effective.  There are still a lot of walleyes being caught on spinners with minnows surprisingly.  Trolling crankbaits has also been catching a lot of fish. The best reports are coming from 18-28 feet of water across the south shore in areas such as Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Graceton Beach, Long Point and Rocky Point.  Various schools within these depths.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies are in the mix for walleye anglers.  On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River and more and more walleyes are entering the river each week.  Fishing has picked up but most believe when water temps reach the 40's, it will get even better.  Currently, temps are in the low 50's. Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are tough to beat this time of year.  Some reports of big fish being caught, but not in big numbers... yet.   Sturgeon activity continues good.  A gob of crawlers and/or frozen shiners on a sturgeon rig (18 inch leader made of 60lb test, circle hook and a 2-3 ounce no roll sinker) is the ticket.  The catch and release season continues through April 23, 2022. Up at the NW Angle...   Fall fishing up at the Angle continues to be excellent.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic.  Some strong reports with warmer than normal water of spinners with a minnow or plastic being the hot bait.  Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs and spinners are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great. Various areas of structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet is the range depending upon the spot.   Big crappies are in their fall spots and being caught on jigs and minnows in 25-30' around various structure. Muskie anglers report good fishing overall.  Trollers reporting mixed results.  One day is great, the other not so much.  Covering water trolling is a strong fall muskie technique and should get better as water cools.    Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.   Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.