• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Borch

St Cloud Area Get Together 2/24/18 - Fishing Reports? Updated 2/21/18

IceHawk

Nice Video guys. That's a  good area but with some warmer temps in the future that ice in that area will get real sketchy in a hurry.  Be safe when going in there. 

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

reminds me that I need a new bobber stop from it getting loose. 

DTro

I'm going to try and make it up there on Sat to say hi to everyone. I have a couple other things that may happen so it will be a last minute thing.   Last night we pulled in about a dozen in a few hours...more lookers than biters.  They were much preferring the minnows to anything else we had and reacted well to some light jigging action.  

• Like 1

MN BassFisher
8 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Nice Video guys. That's a  good area but with some warmer temps in the future that ice in that area will get real sketchy in a hurry.  Be safe when going in there. 

I can imagine that area gets real sketchy as the ice starts to thin out. When drilling holes we found anywhere from 10" to 20"+ 

Borch

That's a tank Matt.  Bet it took some serious coaxing to get it up the hole.  Seems those shallow fish during the day have been the most active.  But they still don't give you a thump.  They just barely suck it in.  

monstermoose78

I am going to try and make it

• Like 2

IceHawk

That's a Beast Matt some good ones out there! Hope you can make it Moose have yet to share the hardwater with you looking forward to it. It will be a great time that I guarantee :grin:

Edited by IceHawk

Tom Sawyer

A BIG  thanks goes out to Matt Johnson and Clam Outdoors for supporting COOL CATS 2018, by donating some great prizes for this years event. I will leave it a secret to what is in the box in the photo until derby day, very nice :D....DSCN4119.thumb.JPG.4d3a638c1da9fec89eaa686f819701fc.JPG Looking forward to meeting some new faces, and catching up with some old ones. Should be another fun one!!! 

I also went out to Mills this morning to add some items that have been proven cat producers for me.....;)0213180953.thumb.jpg.829598b98804fcb5afd8c144af0035d4.jpgThe prizes are piling up, everyone should leave a winner

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

IceHawk

Top Notch support from a Top Notch Company! Thanks Matt and Clam. And Hats off to you Tom for the donation in your part. Very classy act.  :cool::cool:

Edited by IceHawk
  • Like 1

eyeguy 54

Nice ! 

Rick G

Andrea and myself would like to donate this for the big fish contest

20180215_180926.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eyeguy 54

Nice!  

Tom Sawyer

Thanks RickG and Andrea for your donation. I'm getting jealous staff is ineligible to win...

Borch

Thanks.  We'll have a big cat prize.  Everything else will be a raffle drawing.  I will post some more prizes early next week.  Will do drawing after lunch and big cat prize at 2 pm.

IceHawk

Thanks Rick G and Andrea for you donation going to make some catter a happy camper!

Wanderer
1 hour ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Thanks RickG and Andrea for your donation. I'm getting jealous staff is ineligible to win...

Making me jealous since I have other plans! :angry:;):D

I think you guys are gonna have an awesome time - nice work.

By the way, those Venom floats are the cats behind and just the ticket, I would think, for those light biting cats.  Completely adjustable.  

DonkeyHodey

Newbie here, just joined forum.  I have 2 kids (9 and 11) that really want to try ice fishing, but daddy is a bit deficient…--frankly I have no auger, no experience with area lakes in winter...  (but come summer, I can catch 4 in. sunnies with the best of 'em!...)

1.)  Can someone offer to drill me a few holes?, pretty please...

2.) I drive a small front wheel car…  Would it be foolish to try and drive this out there? (Presumably other cars should have flattened out the snow a little and it should be somewhat packed snow if I follow the trail on the map to the meth hole, right?…)----(granted, we can’t yet be knowing the weather on the actual day and fresh snow or inches of slush could change plans, but the current forecast is looking nice!)

3.) I have a few jiggle sticks and lures and a few options for bait but my 9 yo daughter will absolutely love it if someone has a “secret magic bait” or advice to get a kitty on her line…

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

welcome to the site!  join the fun!  rickg loves to drill drill drill!  for sure there will be help on the ice. driving should be fine unless snow hits hard before the event. 

• Like 1

Borch

I usually drill a bunch of holes too so people can get on fish.

It would be great to have you there.  Hopefully we can get you an some fish.

IceHawk

Welcome to the site hope you can make it. There will be plenty of holes. trust me :grin: I plan on doing some pre-fishing next week out there so hopefully Ill have some active schools dialed in. Don't worry about help I'm sure there will be a bunch of members who would be more than willing to help and give some tips etc. 

eyeguy 54

Looks like a nice warm up coming on thursday. oh boy oh boy! 

DonkeyHodey

Awesome!  Can't wait.

So perhaps I’m revealing my “un-rugged” approach to ice fishing here, but in thinking pot-luck, are people bringing generators? 

(if someone is (or has some other option for a standard plug-in) and has an open outlet, I’ll bring a crockpot with something hot…)

Borch

The folks bringing wheelhouses usually do.  But at this point I'm not sure who will be bringing one.

The Chemist

The warmer weather has brought alot of people out to the area. We are waiting for the later bite. Most are setup in shallowet water. Haven't marked fish yet but tendto see them at sunset. 

Be careful with all the holes being drilled! I found one that was covered back in, got my shin, luckily not my ankle.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Horseshoe_Don
      By Horseshoe_Don
      I am starting this thread about the chain.   I will be posting fishing and Ice reports as time goes on.    I will focus on the spring bite and the ice safety.   I encourage all to join in.   Don't name your spots just your successes or failures.

Horseshoe Don
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

• Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 2/25/17, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      The St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot called the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  As of today the ice conditions appear to be adequate.   The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.   So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.    As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.
      We will need to monitor ice conditions as it's been a weird winter so far.  Given the current ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22.  There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23.  DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area.  Instead use the winter access further south(see on map).
      I look forwards to seeing you all there!
    • Borch
      By Borch
      See details and join the conversation at the link below. 

http://fishingminnesota.com/forums/topic/210112-st-cloud-area-get-together-22418/

• Horseshoe_Don
      By Horseshoe_Don
      Was out walleye fishing tonight and the cats were pretty aggressive just after dark.   Caught 2 cats that were 4-5 pounds and lost another just as big.   Ate some tasty walleye also.

Don

• esoxrocks01
      By esoxrocks01
      I'll be fishing the red river this weekend from Saturday until Sunday for giant channel kitties.  On the Minnesota side, where is the best public place to shorefish for one of these trophies?  Also, what bait tends to work the best if you're not using cut bait?  I'm looking for alternatives.  Thank you guys!
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 1/30/16, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      When after all of your feedback the St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot call the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  Today the ice conditions where checked again and found to be 14-15" of good ice between the winter access and the gathering area.   Thanks Don and Rick.  The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.  We caught a lot of crappies last year along with the cats.  So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.   With the late ice this winter there hasn't been a lot of people fishing this area.  So fishing could be really good.  As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.
      Given the ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22.  There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23.  DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area.  Instead use the winter access further south(see on map).
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 1/30/16, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      When after all of your feedback the St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot call the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  Today the ice conditions where check again and found to be 14-15" of good ice between the winter access and the gathering area.   Thanks Don and Rick.  The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie, (rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.  We caught a lot of crappies last year along with the cats.  So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.   With the late ice this winter there hasn't been a lot of people fishing this area.  So fishing would be really good.  As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  The is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.
      Given the ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      Yeah geese and mallards were flying today
    • Fish Head
      I'll give the noise supressor a try Bob.  Both units were purchased at the same time.    yoppdk- I checked my unit and I don't see any such setting on the 998.  There is a low battery alarm setting, but that is already turned to off. 
    • Hoey
      This terminal could have been comprised, cracked or corroded to cause this.  
    • Hoey
      Geese are beginning to flock as I seen a number flying over the past couple days.
    • Better Than Working!
      Our last trip last year required driving through a snow storm! But that time of year is special!
    • Borch
      Will fish around Paynesville, Cass Lake and maybe Osakis.  I generally fish right up to freeze up/firearms deer season in the boat. 
    • Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!   Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.   Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.   Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s.    Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!   Until next week,   Sunset Lodge
    • Better Than Working!
      I am spending Labor Day week on Kabetogama with my wife. Never been to Kab before so I am looking forward to hopefully figuring out a new lake with good multi-species potential. Any tips from anybody would be appreciated. After that it will be the anticipation of late October and Rainy River! That is probably my favorite trip of the year.
    • Rick
      A project to improve long-term water quality and wildlife habitat on Pelican Lake in Wright County may cause some short-term inconvenience for waterfowl hunters this fall, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  The public water access managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on the west side of Pelican Lake will not be usable for boats larger than a canoe or kayak, due to lower water levels created by a drawdown of the lake. While boats may be launched from the state-managed public water access on the southwest side of the lake, parking there is limited. Parking is not allowed within the immediate ramp area; it also is prohibited along the shoulders of 40th Street Northeast, the adjacent road. The DNR is in the process of designing and constructing a new public boat access on the northwest corner of Pelican Lake.  The project will be started in the fall, but likely will not be completed this year. Some private lake access may be available by arrangement with local landowners; contact DNR area wildlife manager Fred Bengtson for more information: 320-223-7840. Pelican Lake is in the middle of a multi-year drawdown aimed at improving water quality and creating better habitat for waterfowl and other wildlife. Once considered a waterfowl mecca, slowly rising water levels over some 30 years had killed much of the aquatic vegetation that stabilizes shoreline and provides needed food for migrating ducks. With help from Ducks Unlimited and constitutionally dedicated money from the Legacy Fund, an outlet was created for the lake in 2014 to lower water levels in several stages, with a pumping facility added in 2016. The drawdown will allow soils to consolidate and promote the growth of aquatic vegetation needed by ducks for food and habitat. In addition to providing critical waterfowl habitat, the project also will result in significantly cleaner water. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • monstermoose78
      A friend took this photo this weekend