• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Cloud Area Get Together 2/24/18 - Fishing Reports? Updated 2/21/18

Will be there sometime between 8-9... Sticking around till snow starts. Cooking up a big batch of " meat and I think there is beans in there"  first ingredient is bacon

20180223_124744.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I should be able to make it in the morning! Not sure how long I'll stay with the weather but I hope to catch a few fish!

• Thumbs Up 1

one would think that with this supposed snowmaggedden coming the fish with be jumping outta da hole!!!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

soup will be in the big blue clam hub by that bacon stuff rickg is making;). Or close by if nice out. thx for the updates guys! 

JustinN I have found either work well the crappies work great for other fish too should be some crappies out there also. I usually just use pieces of the minnow any way. just my 2 cents.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, mrpike1973 said:

JustinN I have found either work well the crappies work great for other fish too should be some crappies out there also. I usually just use pieces of the minnow any way. just my 2 cents.

Perfect thanks! We will grab crappie minnows then. Just loaded up on light, red glow spoons and jigs at Scheel's

6 hours ago, mrpike1973 said:

Thanks Don And IceHawk! is this from the 71 road access? looking forward to tommorow.

you can not get there from the 71 access.   Use the 22 winter access

• Confused 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
3 hours ago, JustinN said:

Have you guys noticed the cats having a preference of crappie minnows vs fatheads?

I have not.

• Thanks 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Don yes you can I have done it all winter. Broke a trail through the fresh snow from there this morning. We use that public access every  winter and have for yrs. U must be thinking something different. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hoping to have a guest. Might need to steal a couple minnow heads. will trade for soup..... LOL  would love to help my friend catch a kitty.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pike use the 71 public access broke a trail right to the area today.. Ice is fine through that area 

10 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Don yes you can I have done it all winter. Broke a trail through the fresh snow from there this morning. We use that public access every  winter and have for yrs. U must be thinking something different. 

you can get from the 71 access to the meth hole?   Or am i misunderstanding?

Don, 

We switched the gathering over to Cedar Island.  See updated maps in the thread.  The cat bite just wasn't happening at rhe meth hole and we weren't able to pin down another consistent bite in Horseshoe.

St Cloud Get Together 2/24/18, 8:00 am until you want to leave

The St Cloud Get Together will be on Cedar Island Lake near Richmond.    As of today the ice conditions appear to be excellent with 2 feet or more of good ice in all areas except necked down current areas.  The highlighted routes are being traveled frequently at this point.   The Cedar Island Lake is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.   So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.    As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots.  

There will be a potluck about noon with a raffle drawing following lunch.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.2018 St Cloud Gathering Map.jpg

Cedar Island Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22 east of Horseshoe lake.  There is a public access about 3 miles south of Hwy 23 on CR 71 that is a good option for cars or wheelhouses as the CR 22 access is a bit steep.  For those who have used the winter access for Horseshoe Lake the Cedar Island winter access is directly across the road from this access.

I look forwards to seeing you all there!

How is the pike bite in that area?

Sounds like we are gonna pull my house off of pearl before this next round of snow then head over. It will be 2 adults 3 kids. 

What should I bring for pot luck food?

A few.   Mire et's than pike though.

Fun time meeting folks, eating great food and catching a few fish. Thx to the sponsors and thx jeff for putting it together! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Great time, glad to meet you guys and a big thank you for putting everything on and letting us join you. Had a blast pulling those cats through the ice. Any luck in the afternoon?

• Thumbs Up 1

What a blast.  Hopefully a good time was had by all. Enjoyed meeting some new faces and reconnecting with some old ones. Fishing was pretty good food was great and the laughs and hollers told the rest of the story. :grin: Big shout out to all who donated prizes from individual to sponsors.  Thanks to all who brought food for the potluck!  Congrats to Justin N for big fish. Him and his friend Eric were putting a clinic on at times. Jeff Thanks for getting this going again and all your hard work. Your dedication to this gathering is amazeing,   I had fun as usal! ;) Also Thanks  for Tom Sawyer for takeing time out of his fishing to take some nice photos today.   Hope everyone made it home safe. Looking forward to next year! 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 2

It was just lucky I had a camera with extra batteries in my bag.  Anyway, I'm busy editing everything before I post anything

For now I'd like to take the time to thank Chris and Jeff for the bone busting effort to pin down an absolute perfect area.

0224181438.thumb.jpg.10356fe48f5d0a0c5764799ea0201508.jpg A cold start with temps, but as the sun rose and the noise of countless K- Drills subsided; the cats were also on the rise and the bite was on. With only a whisper of wind, it filled the fishing grounds with the aroma of Willies amazing ribs on the grill. Outstanding turnout, and as I said, everyone went home a winner. More pics coming....

0224180658a.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• The topic was unpinned