• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

sparetime

Strikemaster will not run

Question

sparetime

I have a Strikemaster Lazer mag that I'm having trouble with.  I'm guessing the auger is about 5 years old

I've always ran non ethanol fuel in it.  Emptied the fuel from it and put in fresh, new spark plug also.

I can get it to start and run, will throttle up, but will not idle after it has been running at full speed.  Dies as soon as you release the throttle.  Can't get it to start again after that. 

Took the carb off, sprayed it down with carb cleaner, which helped some, but didn't fix the problem.  Took it to a small engine guy, he said that he adjusted the carb and it was good to go.  Brought it home and tried it out, nothing different than what I had before.  He didn't charge me, but it isn't fixed either.

I'm guessing this is an issue with the carburetor.  Any advice on what I should try next?  I'm somewhat handy,

Thanks for any advice

9 answers to this question

Wanderer

Get some sea foam in that gas tank and run ‘er!  I can’t tell you exactly where it’s gummed up, but it is.  It’ll take a tank and maybe two but it should clear up.

Or, take the carb back off soak it and clean every oriface you can find by poking and blowing compressed air through all the holes.  Put a new carb kit on it and reinstall.

Whichever way you prefer should work.

Mix your gas with 100:1 Amsoil next time, especially if you let it sit with gas in it over the summer.  I run about 75:1 and have gotten away without gummed up carbs when forgetting to clear the gas from last year - like today.  First day starting the gas auger.  I found out it wasn’t stores empty like I normally do. Took about 10 pulls but she came around and did fine on the lake today.  I WAS annoyed to find gas in it but I have no one to blame but me.

• Like 1

Borch

Carb kit may help.  It's plugged or gasket/diaphragm dried out or cracked.  Alternating between choke and open when running will sometimes help if diaphram.

• Like 1

leech~~

For cleaning carbs I use Gumout spray with the tube on it to shoot through all the passage ways. If I'm finding one not flowing well or clogged I like to use a gas welding tip cleaner. There are a lot of sizes and you don't have to jam something to big through it which could widen and ruin the flow. I got a nice pretty new little chain saw from a guy who just could not get it running for Free. Found that no spray would go through the main jet when I was cleaning the carb. Used the tip cleaner to knock out a piece of saw dust, and clear our Deer trails out really nice this year! :)

Like Wanderer and Borch said, rebuild kits are cheap and a good thing to do if it's been gummed up. 

p.s those little piss-ant needle flow valve springs are really fun to get back in place with fat fingers! They like to jump off the work bench and hide!! :(  ;)

shopping.jpg

Edited by leech~~

sparetime

I ordered a rebuild kit from amazon for less than $5.00, so hopefully that will help.  YouTube has some videos on installing it. 

It is an odd thing, if it sits for a while it will start and I can run it.  Once I take it off full throttle, it will die and I can't get it to restart. 

Thanks for the posts so far, I appreciate it. 

• Like 1

leech~~
1 hour ago, sparetime said:

I ordered a rebuild kit from amazon for less than $5.00, so hopefully that will help.  YouTube has some videos on installing it. 

It is an odd thing, if it sits for a while it will start and I can run it.  Once I take it off full throttle, it will die and I can't get it to restart. 

Thanks for the posts so far, I appreciate it. 

Next time you give it a try. Take a flash light and look up to make sure the throttle flapper is returning to the closed position when you let off the gas and it dies. I have had them stick open or half open then your more or less trying to restart it at half or full throttle which may just be flooding it out. It's either starving for gas or flooding.  Let us know if you solve it.  Good Luck.

Edited by leech~~

Surface Tension

After it dies pull the spark plug. Is it wet or is it dry. 

sparetime

Seems to be flooding out.  I have pulled the plug after trying to restart and its wet, so yes flooding out. 

leech~~

Needle valve is sticking open or bad diaphragm.

Surface Tension

Flooded,  inlet valve is not seating from being warn,  debris in the valve, or improper metering lever height.

The later is what I would suspect since you've already had the carb apart.  The meter lever is the link from metering gasket to the inlet valve. This controls the flow of fuel.  That adjustment is normally level with the floor of the carb body.   An incorrect setting will allow fuel to freely flow into the carb with engine off. Or it can starve for fuel not allowing enough fuel into the carb.