• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pat McGraw

Anyone know of a good ice fishing lake near vermilion? Perhaps something with a hot panfish bite.

Is Pelican Lake close enough to Vermilion?  Prolly the best panfish around the area.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

There tons of little fish lakes around that area. Just a quick search and you can find them.

Pelican is a drive.

• Thumbs Up 1
delcecchi
On 1/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, monstermoose78 said:

There tons of little fish lakes around that area. Just a quick search and you can find them.

Pelican is a drive.

Maybe 25 miles from cook so maybe 40 from tower.   

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

Have to agree Pelican would be my choice for panfish, top notch pannie lake with some quality in it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

There are so many little untapped panfish lakes up there. I know pelican has some big fish but it gets much more pressure than the little lakes. It worth the time to use the dnr lake finder to see if lakes have gills and crappies in them. I spent 5 years in that area and caught plenty of big crappies and trophy sized gills. I never once went to pelican lake or elephant. I never was skunked when ice fishing for panfish up there. 

• Thumbs Up 2
Wanderer

Seems like it could be good for gills.  No crappies in it though.  Interesting comments about the depth being greatest by shore.  It’s fun reading up on some new lakes.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Had a fun trip on Elephant.   Not much pressure when we fished it.  Nice crappies.

Pat McGraw

Thanks all. FYI I'm located on Frazer Bay on Vermilion. Give a shout out if/when you may be on the water up there. I may give the Pike River Flowage a try tomorrow or Saturday. I'll provide a report if I go. Thanks again.

Capt. Quicksteel

If you want to get in there by snow mobile or walking over, Wolf Lake is worth a try.

BASS LAKE is on the east- n/e side of Vermilion and is a short ride through the woods by snowmobile.  Went there last year and caught nothing but dinky perch ( fished the mid-south shore... deeper area).  It was a fun trip and a beautiful little lake.....  DNR info :  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=69044600

Took a trip into Wolf this weekend and didn't mark a fish. Had holes between 5' and 15'. Not the results we were hoping for!

Cliff Wagenbach

JFitz,

Did you fish the deepest water that you could find in Wolf?

That is probably where the pan fish are at.

Cliff

We checked a half dozen areas and only found one with +8' of water. The DNR survey says max depth is 10' so we were pretty excited to find 15'!

• Yayyyy 1
Pat McGraw

JFitz,

Did you have a group ski in Friday and out Sunday across Frazer bay? I saw a group do so and wondered if they may be heading that way.

Hi Pat - we actually snowmobiled in from Wolf Bay. We did a lap around the lake and saw some old snowmobile tracks but not much more activity than that. Very remote and beautiful on Wolf!

I comments I have heard about Wolf have been similar to JFitz's report.  It is a fairly easy trek and a fun excursion but you are likely not to be wowed by the catch.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Bvickers
      By Bvickers
      Bring some friends up to Vermilion around Oct 16th this year. They are dead set on crappie fishing. I know no one here will say where to go crappie fishing, but I have an idea and they don't mind a day on the water hunting for a school. Just wondering if the bite is there that time of year to make chasing worth the effort. I usually drag them trolling for trout and they want something that's a little more exciting.
    • klee103
      By klee103
      How are the lakes across southern Minnesota? 
      Do they "green" up with the summer heat?
      Are there any lakes you would recommend for sunfish, crappie or perch?  
      Looking to do a day trip or 2 this fall to somewhere from Fairmont to Mankato.

Any recommendations?
      Thanks!
    • AlanS
      By AlanS
      Hey all,

I am new here obviously, but I recently learned how many fish the DNR kill off every year with those surveys. I've never started a petition for anything before, but here's my attempt to get that to stop. https://www.change.org/KillingFishMN

This is not about the big lakes. To me it is the same as trying to manage deer by digging a pit in the woods to see what falls in and dies- Wisconsin pretty much gave it up and we should as well.

I know some DNR guy is going to get on here and say it is for consistent data, and that it only happens every few years on the smaller lakes. It should not happen at all. Every 10 years and the best fish in the lake might still be dead in that net, just to have a fancy survey. Heres what a survey should look like. https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/LakeDetail.aspx?wbic=967200

If there are already petitions and groups out there trying to change this I would like to get involved,

A
    • jim curlee
      By jim curlee
      Took the grandson up to Elephant yesterday.
      We fished about 4 hours, we caught bluegill after bluegill the whole time we were on the water, where ever we went.
      I don't think we had one over 8"s.

What doesn't make sense to me is why they put a limit of 10, on the sunfish.
      I'm no biologist, but I think they should let you take more than the state limit, but put a slot in place.
      They might get some quality fish with a slot, but the way it is now, the lake is over populated with 6" bluegills, which are great for grandkids, me not so much.
      We don't keep those bigger bluegills, we love catching them, but there are so few now a days, that you have to release them too.

Went to another lake last night, there we caught some nice gills, about 15 the size that Austin is holding, all were returned to the lake.
      Most of the bonus walleyes went back too, there's a couple in the fridge. lol 

• Skill-lessWanderer
      By Skill-lessWanderer
      Heading out for 5 days of Crappie fishing on Bad Axe Lake this coming Friday. We did really well last year catching more than we could possibly want and more than enough to eat. What I was wondering was with Memorial Day falling a week later and the unusual spring weather we’ve had, if anyone is noticing a big difference in the location of Crappies this year compared to last year? Should they still be super shallow on the small lakes like last year or are they already sliding deeper with how warm it got earlier than past years? Thanks in advance! Also looking forward to boating around and seeing the Muskies basking in the sun and a much needed break from work by spending time with the family doing what we love.
    • macgruber
      By macgruber
      Heading up this weekend to camp at onegume with the family- wife and two kids under 10, and the dog.  Just looking for tips on where fish might be found/best tactics this time of year.  I’ve never been to the area and would love to try for some walleye, but with kids, panfish might be the better option as patience tends to run a bit short at times.  I have a 16’ flat bottomed alumacraft, so won’t be venturing out on the big lake, just looking for a few ideas to keep the kids engaged and maybe have one small fish fry.  Thanks in advance for any help!

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      😁

• PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      I went out to Medicine lake yesterday and there were dead panfish discarded all over the place. I don't know who or why but it was such a waste, plus one little sunny was obviously cut up as bait... And then I found a huge PILE of about 20 fish behind a building. There are signs posted and reminders everywhere, only 5 panfish/crappies per person. This looked deliberate, like a middle finger to authority.
      I was furious and now I'm just sad. I took pictures and I want to do something about it but I have no idea what. 😩
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      Hey all! Tomorrow (Apr 3rd) I'm taking some friends out to do some fishing. We usually target rivers, and live around the metro, but I'm willing to drive a ways to find good spots. No boat, so this would be shore fishing.
      We aren't after anything specific but would be nice to get something to fry up later! Which of course means targeting legal fish like carp, suckers, cats, panfish, etc. 
    • BobT
      By BobT
      I have very little experience using wax worms and one of the problems I have with them is keeping them alive between fishing trips. When I buy them, I usually find them in a little plastic container and the bait shop has them refrigerated. With that in mind, I tried refrigerating them at home but in a very short time I find my container full of black dead worms. I've tried just keeping them in my basement where it is cooler but not as cold as a refrigerator and maybe got another day or two out of them. Keeping them in a warm place didn't work any better either. 

Is there a better way to keep them at home? Is the containers that they are in too small for any longer term storage perhaps? What bedding options are available that may help? 

Thanks.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JerkinLips
      Walleye fishing really picked up this weekend.  Had to move around to find the fish but when I did locate them, they were schooled up in a tight cluster.  If I drifted more than 30 feet from the cluster the bite would stop.  Don't know if this is typical of fall fishing but it was sure fun.   Biggest eye I caught was the pictured 23", then the next biggest was only 17" (I think others are really targeting the 18-20" fish).  Pike suckers on a plain red hook were the best, but when I ran out of them, they still bit on chubs (although the fish were smaller).  Stopped at Fuel & Food Saturday afternoon and they were out of pike suckers and chubs, so I just used the last of my small chubs the last day.  Never did try the crawlers that I bought because the bite was good enough on minnows.   Enjoy the fall fishing and the beauty of the lake, and be courteous to other anglers.
    • Dash 1
      Made it to the brothers cabin this past weekend. We hit  4 lakes. Crappie fishing was great. Lots of 10-12 inch fish. Walleye on Big wolf and Andrusia was fair. Nothing over 16 inches though. Small pike were very active as well. The river was 2-3 feet deep and manageable. Found walleye in depths from 12-20 ft and crappies were 6-14 ft near pencil reeds. Crappies bit on crawlers, minnows and gulp. Got walleyes on fat heads as no one in area had anything other than pike chubs and we only got northerns on them. Wind was bad on Friday and terrible on Saturday. Definitely need to update electronics and trolling motor to get spot lock. My brother has it on his and had 0 problems holding in the wind. Overall fun weekend with 2 meals fish and a burger night at Becida bar.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A fun week of walleye fishing as the water temps cool to the low 60's and fall colors have started.  The walleye are transitioning to fall locations.  Three different methods used to catch walleyes this week.  Drifting spinners, trolling crankbaits and anchored up and jigging with a minnow, which is becoming more effective each week.   Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  Jigging with a frozen shiner or live fathead has really started to be effective.  Give it 30-40 minutes and set up in a different spot if there is no action.   Congrats to all MN Tournament Trail tournament anglers this past week.  The winning team had a 7.52 lb avg per walleye for 10 fish.  There are a lot of big walleyes in Lake of the Woods right now. Daily limit is a combined limit of six walleyes and saugers (with up to 4 being walleyes).   Don't forget the slot, 19.5" - 28" must be returned with one allowed over 28" per day.   Fall is an excellent time to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchor up and jig over the side of the boat for a very enjoyable and typically memorable day. Pike are active and most are caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  The feedbag is definitely on.   On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far, good angler reports and nice walleyes being caught.  Fall on the river is nice as a small boat will work just fine. Most walleye anglers on the river are anchoring up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from Wheeler's Point through Baudette to Birchdale with lots of boat ramps.   Sturgeon activity has picked up as well with good fall reports. Up at the NW Angle...   Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow continue to be effective.  As water cools, minnows on some days are outfising crawlers.   Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto on structure and neck down areas. Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  A lot of fish are caught on figure eight. Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details. Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.    
    • smurfy
      There working on getting a high draft choice for the top of the line college QB, new head coach and GM 🤭🤪🤫
    • leech~~
      After the first game I thought, may be we have a kicker at least? 🙄
    • mtheis
      The wind was crazy when I was up for the week.  And talking about lake levels, I had to adjust my Humminbird down 1 foot to make the water level the same as the lake map depth.  Just an FYI.
    • JN13
      Model 93R17, Great shape and super accurate rifle, target barrel and accutrigger model, BSA Sweet 17 scope 2-7 × 32, adjustable bipod, stock and barrel in excellent shape, comes with 3 boxes of ammo (150 rounds), asking $400
    • gimruis
      You can't make this up anymore.  37 yard kick for the win and he pushes it right?  Somewhere Blair Walsh is laughing at us about this.
    • JN13
      Excellent shape and it's a Henry-smooth action, 25 rounds through it, 2 boxes of ammo included, hard to find model, asking $350.
    • JN13
      Hard to find model, 5" barrel and two tone, really nice shape, one box of ammo through it, need to have ptp, asking $1200.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.