• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best lake to teach the young uns

This thread seems active so I thought I would join.  I am looking for a lake where I could teach my 13 year old daughter and 7 year old son to ice fish.  I am only looking for a lake where they could get some action.  I have summer fished the Miss with them and caught some fish and they love that but they struggle with understanding the basics.  We have lived here for 8 years but I'm not sure of your ice.  I am originally from NW Wisconsin and I have seen enough of people not knowing where and when to drive on ice.  Stupidity can happen quite quickly with both adults and children.  Keep in mind that the point of teaching them is to put some food on the table and not just waste time, money and bait.  I never take more than I never than I need because I will be the one cleaning them.

I have all of the equipment needed and a 4x4  truck except that my Eskimo Shark 8600 won't start because it sat dry for too long and needs a carb rebuild.(I did the first two but someone else can do it)  I'll take that over to Power Sports.  Sorry,  I looked at the electric augers but that is way too much money for the amount of holes I'll drill.  I am not in on the lithium batteries.  If that Eskimo model number catches your eye that means you are getting old.  Had it since I was 12 yo. 

I need the kids to get off the X-box and Fail Pad and get out and do something. 

I am guessing some waxies and fatheads would be a good choice get started with?  Just simple jigging.

I appreciate your local knowledge and thank you.  I do get a kick out of some of the people you meet in St. Cloud.  You have to chuckle at this...

http://knsiradio.com/news/local-news/no-ice-fishing-lake-george  

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Welcome to the forum.

Once you get your auger fixed may be you should go out yourself a time or two to get the rust off and check out a few spots.

Nothing like taking kids out for their first time and having them freeze their butts off and have no fun cuz Dad didn't have everything ready to go. Even at their age bring some good chairs , snacks and drinks for them to break up the long boredom that can be Ice fishing at times will help! :)  Good Luck.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

probably @Rick G and Andy out there on lake george. ;);) ..  Great advice Leech for pa to pop out and look for some spots once the auger is running good. welcome to FM Rivers!  Lotta good lakes in this area to try. With kids maybe look for gills to keep them entertained and they are great eating. cheap light rod and reels, small jigs and waxies or euros or even the old jiggle sticks with a small boober. If outside, bobber goes down a bit, back up till fish pops out of hole. :)  Maybe teach hand over hand. Inside shelter small slip bobbers on the rod and reel combos.  Good luck and have fun!  Theres a get together on the 27th on blue lake over by princeton. I know the guys there would be happy to do some teaching and helping. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome Rivers. :)

I don’t fish the St.Cloud area so I don’t have a lake to offer you but there are a couple close get togethers forming.  Cambridge has one coming up on Blue Lake and there should be some cat fishing on on the Horseshoe chain coming up too.

You could learn and teach more about the area fishing in a few hours at either of those than a few days on your own.

Thank you all very much.  I actually wrote that last night and posted it to myself.  I did get the auger in for service and then I went driving west out of St Joes just to burn gas and search for a lake I liked.  I kind of like the looks of Grand.  That landing is not special but I didn't have a problem getting out there and back.  It was getting pretty dark but there folks out there fishing for something and I'm not the kind of derp that will roll up and ask anyone.  They are fishing where it would seem to be about 20 feet.  I didn't see any tip-ups but they have to be after walleye or crappies at dusk.  Maybe you folks tip up as much as we do in WI.  We could have three lines and always used two for scouts with small minnows.  That's OK though.

And jeez, as far as getting everything ready to go, it appears that I have stopped at a lot of yard sales over the years.  Just sorting the whole mess out has taken all evening but I sure do tend to accumulate fishing related items.  At least the daughter was excited and asked if we could go tomorrow.  She must have a built in barometer.  She's correct by accident.(on most lakes)

From what I saw, it is good solid ice without the slush and slop.  Getting these kids going is the most important thing.  Give a man fish and he eats for a day, but him/her to fish...

Thank you all again for the warm welcome.     

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota, Rivers!

If your looking for some consistent action for the kids Grand, Pleasant or Beaver would be good choices to start with. All three of these lakes have good populations of bluegills, bass and pike....perfect fish for teaching, as they bite willingly most of the time. Of those three lakes Beaver is the easiest to find fish, just start looking along the weed line to the right of the access. Keep it pretty simple, tip ups w a sucker for toothy fish and small floats w waxworms for panfish.  

Ice conditions are pretty good in our area right now, finding no less than 16 inches on MOST of our area lakes.

Good luck out there w the kiddos:) 

Once you find some fish, post a report or some pics, please:)

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank You Rick.  Found out today that I need a new carb on the auger and that is a week out.  I'm not sure about that but it is cheaper than buying a new one by a factor of four.  I have everything sorted out and ready to go for the most part.  I appreciate everyone helping out to get me back in the know.  I am looking forward to getting out there and getting the kids some fresh air.