• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Choosing the right drill for an auger

blue gill hunter

blue gill hunter

Hey guys,

i am looking into converting from my gas auger to a drill and I am looking for recommendations for a new drill. What should I be looking for?  Are Amp hours more important or torque?  

Thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Surface Tension

Milwaukee 2703-22 1/2 drill and 2704-22  1/2 hammer drill come with two 5Ah batteries and charger.

Both drills have 1200 in lbs of torque.   The red Lithium Ion batteries are have been tested and proven to perform well in cold temps. 

I'll let other comment on other drill choices.  When shopping around look closely at in lbs of torque or UWO.  I'll also suggest 4 Ah batteries or bigger.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

As surface tension stated look at the torque. All brands make high end and low end drills to meet peoples needs. You want a high End drill. I run a dewalt dcd985 which is a brushed hammer drill and it has cut close to 5000 holes now. The bigger batteries are amazing my drill came with 3 amp hour batteries. I just received the 9 amp hour batteries yesterday. Tomorrow I will give them a work out. The brushless drill are more efficient on batteries but I can’t complain as I get about 30 holes in 10-12 inches of ice per 3 amp hour battery. I have seen @eyeguy 54 with drill cut holes just as well as me or anyone else. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2018 at 8:43 AM, blue gill hunter said:

Hey guys,

i am looking into converting from my gas auger to a drill and I am looking for recommendations for a new drill. What should I be looking for?  Are Amp hours more important or torque?  

Thanks

Just got the Milwaukee Fuel, clam plate with StrikeMaster 8” worked awesome for me but this is my first year ice fishing. It destroyed they guy using K-drill with same drill and the ion came in 3rd

Edited by Benwa69
  • Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• icedog
      Anybody got one in their attic or garage they'd like to be rid of?
    • smurfy
      Well hello stranger 🤣 been hiding in in the bush again.🤔😊
    • papadarv
      Condensation in portables directly related to the amount of propane used. Each pound of propane burned produces about 1.6 # of water. (1 1/2 pint) Ice melt from heater also adds moisture. Better insulated, less heat & condensation. A floor also greatly reduces moisture. The colder the outside temp the greater visible condensation. At -17 Deg. frost visible in my 949i Eskimo Hub - Big Buddy running on Hi, 18,000 BTU. At 21,600 BTU per pound propane frost in 4 hours on walls and celing. New Otters have excellent insulation, better than my Eskimo.  
    • Wanderer
      This is missing the point so far I didn’t even want to start commenting on it.  So, that’s it, I’m done with that one.   Wardens should be following the mandate for whatever reason one wants to choose.  And we have the right to ask them to or not let them in.  Pretty simple.  And I’m not a mask Nazi either.  I hate em too but I wear them for others.
    • Wanderer
      Seems intentional, I would say.  They’d probably have too many and maybe too congested there?  Or just more of closed residential perk?   Nice to have some discussion on it even though the OP didn’t seem to care after all.
    • PRO-V
      Snowmobile trails not good. Haven't seen any grooming. Only good place to ride is in the woods. You can go anywhere on a wheeler in the woods and most anywhere on lakes. Look out for slush on lakes as we've had alot of that.
    • smurfy
      just talked to a friend of mine, north of deer river and said they havent, didnt get alot of snow with the last roiund. he said getting around on the lakes seemed pretty easy.   i  was up over the new years weekend and when i drove home the trails i did see along with the road ditches looked pretty beat up. thats the best i got!!!!!!!
    • SkunkedAgain
      When I was up two weeks ago, the lake snow was getting thin and was barely thick enough in the woods for snowmobiles. Have we added much snow lately?   Any word on the trails?
    • SkunkedAgain
      Wear one of those suits if you've got one.    I'd bet that if those virologists didn't have the suit, and had the choice between nothing or a mask, they would likely choose the mask all day long. It's better than nothing. I don't think that the *powerful* mask lobby is out there pushing doctors to encourage mask use just for financial gain! I certainly don't do it for the comfort or looks.
    • SkunkedAgain
      That looks warm. When are we all invited over?  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.