• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

blue gill hunter

Choosing the right drill for an auger

blue gill hunter

Hey guys,

i am looking into converting from my gas auger to a drill and I am looking for recommendations for a new drill. What should I be looking for?  Are Amp hours more important or torque?  

Thanks

Surface Tension

Milwaukee 2703-22 1/2 drill and 2704-22  1/2 hammer drill come with two 5Ah batteries and charger.

Both drills have 1200 in lbs of torque.   The red Lithium Ion batteries are have been tested and proven to perform well in cold temps. 

I'll let other comment on other drill choices.  When shopping around look closely at in lbs of torque or UWO.  I'll also suggest 4 Ah batteries or bigger.

blue gill hunter

Thanks 

monstermoose78

As surface tension stated look at the torque. All brands make high end and low end drills to meet peoples needs. You want a high End drill. I run a dewalt dcd985 which is a brushed hammer drill and it has cut close to 5000 holes now. The bigger batteries are amazing my drill came with 3 amp hour batteries. I just received the 9 amp hour batteries yesterday. Tomorrow I will give them a work out. The brushless drill are more efficient on batteries but I can’t complain as I get about 30 holes in 10-12 inches of ice per 3 amp hour battery. I have seen @eyeguy 54 with drill cut holes just as well as me or anyone else. 

monstermoose78

7D76538D-AADD-4E37-BF54-ADAAA0D490D3.png

EAD09145-BD35-4B26-8261-162E205EB8AE.jpeg

Benwa69
On 1/6/2018 at 8:43 AM, blue gill hunter said:

Hey guys,

i am looking into converting from my gas auger to a drill and I am looking for recommendations for a new drill. What should I be looking for?  Are Amp hours more important or torque?  

Thanks

Just got the Milwaukee Fuel, clam plate with StrikeMaster 8” worked awesome for me but this is my first year ice fishing. It destroyed they guy using K-drill with same drill and the ion came in 3rd

Edited by Benwa69
  • Thumbs Up 1