• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice fishing trout

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Let’s go guys

Trout fisherman are like a Secret order and a little tight lipped.  :cool:

Not like Panfisherman!  :lol:

images.jpg

Don’t get me started I will share lakes like crazy 

• Yayyyy 1

I was thinking cenieko in coon rapids?

courthouse pond?

tofte near ely

mink near Grand Marais 

trout lake just down the road from mink lake

Lake Superior 

miners lake in ely

grindstone lake by hinckley 

thompson lake by Grand Marais 

just so many to pick from

O yeah chant lake just off burntside lake secret lake ;) 

30 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

I was thinking cenieko in coon rapids?

courthouse pond?

tofte near ely

mink near Grand Marais 

trout lake just down the road from mink lake

Lake Superior 

miners lake in ely

grindstone lake by hinckley 

thompson lake by Grand Marais 

just so many to pick from

You forgot all the range pits! ;)

I've always wanted to try Tofte, but if I'm driving that far it will have to be Burntside. 

Edited by leech~~

Fish them both. I have splake that were over 10 pounds swimming in tofte.

2 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Fish them both. I have splake that were over 10 pounds swimming in tofte.

10lbs Splake!  Where is that Pinocchio meme again? :grin:

• Thumbs Up 1

I Seen them they are there don’t fish for little fish there fish laker sized baits

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Heartbreak Ridge!

• Thumbs Up 1

Most people fish with panfish sized lures and light line. I used walleye sizes jigs and caught lots of big rainbows and good sized splake. Lake receives lots of pressure but has large fish.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Larsen lake state record splake, 17 pounds. I fished Larsen lake a few times, still skunked. I have caught lakers over 8 pounds in lakes that said there were nothing but little ones.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Not saying lake surveys are sacred scripture, but they definitely have pointed me in the right direction, rather then a hunch. I guess most people would much rather fish a lake that has/had (if the fish was sampled via gill net) what they're after then not. Lake surveys are the biggest help out there, if you now what to look for. Almost a broken record to hear Pros say " Do your homework and use Lake Finder" LOL! Tight Lines!

Btw, here's the state record stats on Splake....

Trout, Splake 
(Brook x Lake Trout Hybrid)
13 5 33½ 19 Larson Lake Itasca 2/11/2001

The first winter they opened it in did

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

In 1996 the MN state record Splake came out of Tofte Lake. The fish weighed 10-pound, 7.04 ounce.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

They told me there were no big lakers in burntside when I was in college too, but I got 36 incher on my wall. If you guys don’t have anything positive to say let’s not say anything. This not helping new people want to post.

I'm sorry that you feel posting current real data from our DNR over past records is not being positive or helpful to new folks on the forum. I agree that as ST stated below in 1996 there were some good size fish in the lake. It has been fished hard since that record came out. To give new folks old data or make sensationalize claims on a lake is doing a disservice to them, and may just send them on a long drive Goose case up to a lake that may not produce what was claimed. That can only hurt the credibility of the Out-Door site that it was given on. 

Giving usable information is the best way to serve new members as they may come back for more. ;) 

" In 1996 the MN state record Splake came out of Tofte Lake. The fish weighed 10-pound, 7.04 ounce." 

By the way, I have also caught a 36" Laker on Burntside.  :)    You can adjust the wording or delete this as well if you choice. ;)

IMG_04412nd.JPG

State Trout records from Minnesota. Nothing real current but the waters may still be worth a try.

Trout, Brook 6 lbs 5 oz 24 14 1/2 Pigeon River Cook 9/2/2000
Trout, Brown 16 lbs 12 oz 31 3/8 20 1/2 Lake Superior St. Louis 6/23/1989
Trout, Lake 43 lbs 8 oz Unknown Unknown Lake Superior near Hovland Cook 5/30/1955
Trout, Rainbow (Steelhead) 16 lbs 6 oz 33 19 1/2 Devil Track River Cook 4/27/1980
Trout, Splake (Brook x Lake Trout Hybrid) 13 lbs 5 oz 33 1/2 19 Larson Lake Itasca 2/11/2001
Trout, Tiger 2 lbs 9 oz 20 9 5/8 Mill Creek Olmsted 8/7/1999
Edited by leech~~

There is still good sized splake in tofte just because they do not show up in the nets. I personally have seen big ones this last fall while grouse and fishing in the area. Did the bite nope but the where cruising and chasing minnows my guess is some were pushing the 30 inch mark. I never claimed the lake is full of them but they are there. It take different tackle to handle fish of that size. I did catch some big rainbows up 21 inches that is a big rainbow for our trout lakes. My biggest splake came this fall on the same trip and was 23.25 inches the meat was so red and tasty.

All from Tofte 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...