• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

No dumpster at Rogers

jb426

Little nervous, heard Rogers is charging $5 a bag to dump garbage into a trailer.  No dumpster on site!  Anybody confirm this?  Wasn't there a discussion a couple of years ago about needing more dumpsters, sounds like it's going to be a bad spring shoreline clean up.  Great!  

my 2 cents, If at all possible please take your garbage home. Most of it is bagged and can easily be in the back of your pick up or fish house

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

great point. take garbage home is such an easy solution to the problem I keep hearing about up there. 

All true, but for some if it's not convenient it goes where it is convenient.  Just hoping people will take it home with them or pay.  But I have a feeling some will end up on the lake or in the ditch.  

I do not think people are realizing how much garbage fishermen are creating. I know that as of 11-20-17 Roger's along with JR's, Cookies and Red Lake Remote had signed up with the County for the pilot program to haul away the human waste fishermen are creating. Seeing as Roger's has signed up with the County for the human waste program I am sure Roger's has dumpsters for regular garbage. The dumpsters are most likely somewhere out of sight and the garbage hauled there because the amount of dumpsters needed could very well fill up Roger's entire parking lot. The County is estimating that just the human waste being created by fishermen is in the area of 5,000 pounds a day on weekends. That is just the human waste being hauled away and does not include the human waste being put in the lake, road ditches, roads, peoples driveways and anyplace else the fishermen can quickly throw their garbage/human waste. In fact tomorrow I will be spending at least part of the day parked by some of our property just to stop the fishermen from throwing their human waste/garbage on our property for me to clean up in the Spring. What a thrilling way to spend a day. :mad: This problem is going to get bigger. URL is State waters so it would not surprise me to see the MN PCA step in. The same waters extend into the Bands waters which are Federal waters so the Federal Gov. could step in with the EPA. Fishermen need to clean up their act!!!

• Thumbs Up 4

crazy ! good luck getting it controlled eventually.  whatever it takes! 

If you bring it with you take it home with you! It is amazing how inconsiderate people can be,  that is the way the majority of the people are now days they think someone else will take care of it.

True dat. Fishing in a spot last week and just rediculous. Sig butts. Pizza box. Grrrrr

Different lake

$5/ bag to not haul your garbage home?  Nobody should have a problem with that.

We sometimes pay to dump ours in Ely at the Cenex station if we feel it’s extra stinky or leaky.  $4/bag last time.  Was glad to find a place to legally dump it!  Tossing it in others’ cans or dumpsters without permission is actually THEFT.

If you don’t like taking care of your own garbage - don’t make any!

• Thumbs Up 3

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Have to agree with you Royce sad situation out there I saw what Royce witnessed  junk and garbage everywhere :mad: People that leave garbage on the lakes definitely aren't representing the definition of good sportsman gives non sportsman the wrong view of us! Be a steward of the land and water and pickup after yourselves where ever you fish or hunt. Every year I go around with my wheeler and otter sled and pickup sleds full of you name it. How would you like me dumping junk in your backyards? Sad situation is I know of one  private access area that was closed locally by me because of the garbage left behind where people parked, more of this will happen if we dont take a stand. We are just hurting ourselves by doing this stuff so please think and respect the resources we are so fortunate to enjoy!

garbage is a huge problem. we value every customer at NCFF but had to pull our cans at pumps. they were filled with frozen fish guts every nite employees could not even get them out. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.  We charge $5 a bag to put in our dumpster to cover the extra weight cost. thanks again for your business.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was thought as a kid, you bring it in you pack it out. If you drop something as little as a gum wrapper you better pick it up. Now you have all the wheel houses, (I own one)'that are more into partying then fishing. They don't care what you think and if you disagree with them you are an ass or something else. They pump water from the lake to shower, wash dishes and what not and dump it back onto the ice. Then you have a person that asks for dump station info and you get the guy that says just find a side road and dump it in the ditch. I personally would like to see these people caught and made an example of as far as punishment goes.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

That problem has always made me angry.  I can't imagine the total tonnage of garbage and poo that goes in the lake each year.  I imagine the DNR or legislature will step in at some point and clamp down.  Maybe there needs to be a $20 red lake stamp to pay for waste management and policing.  Personally, I've already written off Red as a human disaster.  

This wouldn't be such a big deal if people didn't have to drive 5+ hours to find a lake to catch walleye.  Spillover from poor fisheries management every where else?  I think so.        

13 hours ago, Paradice said:

This wouldn't be such a big deal if people didn't have to drive 5+ hours to find a lake to catch walleye.  Spillover from poor fisheries management every where else?  I think so.        

Absolutely NOT the case! There are plenty of smaller good walleye lakes around MN.  

The big lakes just happen to have the best road systems and cater to those with wheel houses.  Smaller lakes require more work to get across because of lack of roads and usually more questionable ice early.

Wheel house folks will go where it is easiest to use thier overpriced campers on ice.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Yayyyy 1

It IS the big show on those big lakes.  They did develop a following for a reason but Anyfish is right when it comes down to putting fish on ice.  We drive past a lot of walleyes to get to walleyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I for one always pick up my trash, and tons of other peoples I find along the way.  I do find it an inconvenience that there never seems to be a place to dump it. ( I don't know how many times I've picked up trash at boat landings or at a park or wherever and never find a can nearby to put it)  

I also suggest calling out anyone you see leaving their trash where it don't belong, get a picture or two and report it if you can. 

That being said, making it easier for people to dump their trash when they get off the lake just seems like good idea to lessen the trash problem that's going on.  It might be an additional cost on the resorts and guides up there, (maybe they'll have to incorporate it into their road fee) but if the trash problem doesn't get  fixed the businesses are going to end dealing with the consequences one way or another.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate littering so bad . I have been picking up garbage my whole life.  Just drives me crazy when Ii see liter . As far as I' concerned every outfitter that has rentals should have a dumpster.  As far as wheel house take it home as you all ready pay a garbage fee?  A fish gut dumpsters would be nice for the wheel houses as no one wants to take them home. Human waste dumpsters would also be nice. Where to put them and who pays to empty them though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought I saw somewhere redlake remote the garbage man said he is not picking up where he is anymore so he built a trailer to haul it to the dump

The lake does a pretty good job of cleaning itself as most of it ends up on the shoreline. I do the road cleanup, spring and fall from No Name Lane to Hwy. #72 next spring will be my 10th. and last year I had a partner for the first 2-yrs but he left the area. This is a big job for one person but would be a good project for a group or family if anybody I  interested let me know here.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure the Gas stations in a 50 mile radius of the lake mainly going south aren't to happy having their garbage cans filled to over flowing on a Sunday night either! :angry: 

4 hours ago, halad said:

The lake does a pretty good job of cleaning itself as most of it ends up on the shoreline. I do the road cleanup, spring and fall from No Name Lane to Hwy. #72 next spring will be my 10th. and last year I had a partner for the first 2-yrs but he left the area. This is a big job for one person but would be a good project for a group or family if anybody I  interested let me know here.

It does feel good to give back to the areas we use.

I helped organize a lake cleanup before and it was a good experience.  I’d rather the need for cleanup didn’t exist in the first place though!

The local hauler donated a 20 yard dumpster and we filled it half way in the first 4 hours or so.  Many of the items wouldn’t have made it to shore though.  The dumpster was full by the end of the cleanup.  It is AMAZING what people think is OK to leave behind.  Remember, concrete is not stone and treated or processed lumber is not just wood.  Both are made with chemicals that don’t belong in our lakes.

Yep, birds and fish poop too but they don’t wrap it in diapers or plastic bags and don’t eat Doritos and 5 alarm chili.  And when birds poop in mass, it still kills the other biomass it contacts.

Yes, I’ve left ‘stuff’ on the ice before, either by accident or emergency but we’ve cleaned up our act better by making sure we secure our loose stuff when using portables and the wheelhouse has a box of heavy mil trash bags and a chemical toilet.

Besides helping the lake and our image, another upside to lake cleanups is you can and do find some lost treasure along the way.  People lose gear all the time and it gets snowed over for most of the season. A late ice cleanup can help restock the tackle box and sometimes more.

9 hours ago, ZachD said:

I thought I saw somewhere redlake remote the garbage man said he is not picking up where he is anymore so he built a trailer to haul it to the dump

The garbage truck will not pick the garbage up where he is located so he hauls the garbage and poo back to Waskish where he has a dumpster set up.

Every business that has a road on the lake or rents fish houses is supposed to have a dumpster for their customers. Many do not. They show up in November, haul their garbage to the transfer station between Busy Corner and Blackduck or the compactor by Hillman's in Waskish and leave in March. The compactor at Hillman's is supposed to be for residential Beltrami County property owners garbage only paid for with an extra charge on our property taxes with no business dumping there. The transfer station by Blackduck is also for residential property owners and business that have garbage hauling license who pay by the pound for their garbage. Beltrami County is going to start cracking down on business that do not have dumpsters. Getting garbage hauled out of Waskish is expensive so a number of business that presently are leaving the cost of hauling their garbage to the residential property owners  are looking at a pretty good increase in costs.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, fishing tech said:

Now you have all the wheel houses, (I own one)'that are more into partying then fishing. They don't care what you think and if you disagree with them you are an ass or something else.

I'm sure glad somebody else said that.  :cool:

• Thumbs Up 1

"Beltrami County is going to start cracking down on business that do not have dumpsters."

About time! I try to do the right thing (and teach my kids) by picking up around where we fish but then get stuck taking it home to put in my personal trash. I even asked a commercial business on the south shore where I could dump trash that I'd picked up on the lake and they told me to take it home or leave it on the lake... The access fees only cover the roads? At $15-$20 a vehicle I think there should be a little more concern for the resource than that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always go back tot he areas I have ruined over the winter and look for any things thy may of got lost or froze in, Plus when i'm doing that I spot other garbage . I do not mind it but it gets old when your trying to get stuff done and I get side tracked picking up other crap. Some things are accidental but avoidable. I got a giant hunk of indoor outdoor green turf this year in dec  They must of had it as a floor and it melted to the ice. It took a bit but I was able to retrieve it

Confirmed, no dumpster.  All other resorts I've gone out of both on red and mille lacs offered dumpsters as part of the road fee.  Rogers has always offered a dumpster in years past, wonder what happened.  Road fees go down now that he eliminated a huge expense?

I think its ridiculous that anyone that runs a road access and charges $20 per vehicle is not required to have a public use dumpster for their customers.  One day alone road access fees can bring in what $10k to $20k? on the conservative side.  Can't tell me they aren't able to afford a dumpster.

• Thumbs Up 1