• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

Ice Fishing Reports by Area in Minnesota

monstermoose78

Hearing 10-17 inches around Princeton 

• Thumbs Up 1

Mustangsally

found 17 inches on Buffalo 1-7-17 and 20 inches on a smaller Annandale lake. Tight lipped today where we were.

• Thumbs Up 1

icepike 1

Minnetonka 16" to17" inches of good ice trucks allover the lake. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Alex wilhelmi

Hi all. I'm a newbie. And Iowan, but I love everything Minnesota. Ice Fishing is a short season here. I'm down by cedar rapids. Girlfriend and I are going to faribault this weekend to try some lakes. Any tips would be appreciated. I honestly don't keep many walleye back here, we imposed our own 17 in to 24 in all we keep standard. And it's helping the River in our area. At Least we think so.  Anyway, we're just looking for some good walleye and Pike action any bonus panfish too. If you could give us some legit pointers . That would make an awesome trip. Thanks again. Tight lines

God too many beers . We only keep 17 to 24 inch eyes

Rick
14 hours ago, Alex wilhelmi said:

Hi all. I'm a newbie. And Iowan, but I love everything Minnesota. Ice Fishing is a short season here. I'm down by cedar rapids. Girlfriend and I are going to faribault this weekend to try some lakes. Any tips would be appreciated. I honestly don't keep many walleye back here, we imposed our own 17 in to 24 in all we keep standard. And it's helping the River in our area. At Least we think so.  Anyway, we're just looking for some good walleye and Pike action any bonus panfish too. If you could give us some legit pointers . That would make an awesome trip. Thanks again. Tight lines

God too many beers . We only keep 17 to 24 inch eyes

Check out the South Central MN Forum. Click the link in the first post and ask your question in that forum.

Alex wilhelmi

Thank you! Good luck on the ice!

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

The shallower lakes are froze over and the deep ones are getting close. I should add that’s in the Princeton area. Still not enough ice for me yet.

• Thanks 1

kunzi26

Anyone have updates for some smaller St. Cloud area lakes? I'm hoping to get out tomorrow before heading south for Thanksgiving traveling. I've tried a couple early ice lakes in the past, but what are some reliable and "safe" (no dangers springs or moving water spots) early ice lakes in the area? I plan on checking as I walk obviously. 

Rick

A wee bit early @kunzi26

Check back when the better ice fishing guys get rolling ... soon.

monstermoose78
On 11/19/2018 at 10:32 AM, kunzi26 said:

Anyone have updates for some smaller St. Cloud area lakes? I'm hoping to get out tomorrow before heading south for Thanksgiving traveling. I've tried a couple early ice lakes in the past, but what are some reliable and "safe" (no dangers springs or moving water spots) early ice lakes in the area? I plan on checking as I walk obviously. 

Be careful the ice varies so much from lake to lake. There are guys fishing smaller lakes. Please check the ice often if you go out and bring a buddy. As Rick stated most the normal ice fishing guts are waiting to see how warm it gets tomorrow.

kunzi26
On 11/22/2018 at 10:23 AM, Rick said:

A wee bit early @kunzi26

Check back when the better ice fishing guys get rolling ... soon.

Was able to get out on a tiny lake I was very familiar with on the 21st - found 5 inches consistently until I got set up. Nothing too big, but that lake is mostly for reliable bites with kids or in my case my dog. Was good to get him out and experience some ice for the first time. Paid off when I took him out again this weekend! 

• l Love It 1

Woodsman66

Any reports about prior lakes ice conditions? 

Rick
On 12/4/2018 at 9:57 AM, Natew48 said:

Any word on lakes around mankato?

Ask in the Metro Forum.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      I recently met up with my buddy Al to check out a small lake that I had never fished before (Al had only open water fished it). We didn't get to the lake until after sundown and we immediately started drilling holes looking for fish. It didn't take us too long to find an area that the fish were frequenting. We caught a couple fish and set up the flipover. We wound up getting into some nice Crappies and to our surprise some really nice Sunfish. I would really like to get back to this lake soon to explore some new areas and learn it a bit more as it definitely has quality fish!

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin
      Good numbers of walleyes and saugers being caught of all sizes.  Jig one line, deadstick second.  Most anglers focused in 25-31' of water.  During the morning and evenings, shallow water bite in 13-18'.  Electronics very helpful with some larger fish suspended.  Every resort ice road is different but pickups and wheelhouses of varying sizes allowed on various ice roads.  Gold, glow red, yellow and orange hot colors.  Ice ranges from 12-20" where resorts are fishing.  Snowmobile trails on lake staked from south shore up to NW angle.  Please stay on marked trails, don't go off on your own and exercise safety precautions as ice conditions vary.
      On the Rainy River
      Stretches of the river and bay ice unsafe with heavier than normal current.  Some walleye action in Four Mile Bay early and late in the day.  Most river fishing currently being done by locals who know ice.
      The NW Angle
      Ice road is open from Young's Bay to Flag Island, no further as of yet.  Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked and are open.  Stay on the trail for safety!  Excellent fishing with good numbers of walleyes being caught.  Most fish coming from 18-24'.  Crappies being caught on Ontario side.  Work through resorts and stay on staked resort ice trails.

• Jake1
      By Jake1
      Hello fellow fisherman, does anyone know if there is any good ice in the Rochester area and surrounding cities? I do know that Foster has about 6in but still trying to get into better bodies of water.
    • Steve Lawrence
      By Steve Lawrence
      Going out tonight for some night action.  Was wondering if there were any ice reports or fishing reports in Anoka county lakes area. Thanks for the help guys. 
    • Natew48
      By Natew48
      Any word on lakes around mankato?
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Well I have fished with enough guys to see a custom rod is worth it, so I got one of my own now. I know they are spendy but so are the mass produced ones. I ordered a Kichler Custom Rod I got a black ice that is ready to handle the light jigs I use. I might change the jig I put on it but gold is @eyeguy 54 go too and he can put some fish on the ice. From what seen this custom rod is much more sensitive than my snitch, so I will report back once I hit the ice.

• Rob Wilson Sr.
      By Rob Wilson Sr.
      FOR SALE
      2017 custom built "Skate Shack"
      19 feet long by 8 feet wide, a prize from the Minnesota Wild. Originally intended as a portable warming house/skate shack, It would not take much to convert into an ice house. Built on a drop down trailer frame
      Includes
      Electronic fireplace with remote
      (The lighting and fire change colors)
      42" television
      Sound bar
      Granite counter tops
      LED red and green pulse party lighting
      Minnesota wild branding throughout.  
      EDCO Arrowline Shake steel roofing
      Range Red Royal Celect premium vinyl siding.
      Interior cedar tongue-and-groove siding
      Torched cedar cabinetry and leather seats. 
      Convert it to a fish house, have it as a warming house or maybe the ultimate back yard man cave escape.  
      asking $15,000 or best offer.  PM for further details.  Currently it is sitting in Savage, MN.

I have more images if you would like to see.

[email protected]

• Jake Zeleznikar
      By Jake Zeleznikar
      I'm looking into insurance options for an Ice House and wondering what advice or recommendations anyone has on the best type of coverage. Also, if I want to be able to rent out my ice house when I'm not using it but not as an "outfitter" or "guide" would that be something that typical coverage wouldn't cover if a profit is being made since I wouldn't have the coverage that a company running as an outfitter would have? (Such as how normal car insurance doesn't cover an Uber driver when they are logged into the app and giving someone a ride because they are consequently on the road more often and making a profit.) Any and all information or recommendations would be extremely helpful!
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

• LaMarr Uhuru
      By LaMarr Uhuru
      So I'm fishing white bear lake tomorrow in 7deagree weather.
        I'l be there around 520am  
      LOOKING FOR WALLEYES CRAPPIES N PEARCH TO KEEP. WHERE IS AH GOOD SPOT TO START FISHING.   can anyone lead me somewhere goodg
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Well that gets you out of making lunch, but not getting unstuck! 😊
    • Wanderer
      You got that right!  I don’t fish Vermillion but have always liked reading the posts.  Log in issues or not, I hope he decides to get back in the swing of things here.   Again, not a big V fisherman but I’m gonna check my calendar for the weekend of the kids event and maybe throw my hat in to help if I can.  I can at least get some lines wet if pointed in the right direction.
    • Frank Boling 41
      Seems like Cliff has been MIA on these boards for a long time!
    • Wanderer
      @leech~~ did buy me a steak dinner at the Ely steakhouse when I took him lake trout fishing several years ago.  He’s not without his charities. 🙂
    • Wanderer
      Just west of shantytown. 😉😁
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Hey @leech could I put you in charge of bringing the beverages, snacks and food? Maybe even bring a little table to set it all up on like a buffet style 😂
    • leech~~
      Where?  Just so I can help next time? 😁
    • AlwaysFishing23
      You were a big help today I really appricetate it. I’ve fished that same area at least one a week for the last month. Every time from 1-6pm. Haven’t had a terrible trip yet every time I get a lot of nice gills. The first time I tried that bite I got a few nice crappies and a 17” walleye. Last night fished again and kept 6 nice gills and threw back a lot of good ones to and got I a 21” walleye. It’s a sunset bite for sure then after dark if you hang around long enough the crappies bite to. But it’s hard to stay out last 6pm when it’s this cold trying to heat the portable can become hard even with a good heater. Glad to hear you guys had some luck I’ve heard that area is good but I’ve never tried it. Haha another buddy who always fish’s in the cold told me I was crazy for going out. Well look you did well the last two days......😂. Good luck to you tommarow!
    • Wanderer
      Thanks for the shout out; glad to help!  I was heading back out to jump start my brothers diesel and saw you get stuck.  Needed to get my bro’s truck going first.  Saw you were in the same spot and knew a little help would go a long way in that rutted mess out there.   You had a good catch for the afternoon. 😎  We were in that area Friday night but after the bite was over.  Got some but not that good.  Had a nice evening crappie bite to the east last night.  A few pike this morning before pulling up stakes.     Gonna head north I think tomorrow.  But it sounds like I’m the only one willing to brave the weather.
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Thanks to Wanderer (Tracy) for extracting me from a sticky situation 🤦‍♂️. It was also nice to finally meet you in person!! I think you need to start a weekend towing business lol. I had a buddy of mine and his dad come out and check and make sure I was okay after you left. Fishing was pretty good I got 8 gills all around 8” and 1 crappie 9”. Dad came out and got 5 gills. We stayed till 6:15pm and I was able to make it off the lake no problem.