• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

LakeofthewoodsMN

Lake of the Woods MN Fishing Report, 12-26-17

LakeofthewoodsMN
Ice fishing continues to be very good. On the south shore fishing Big Traverse Bay, nice mix of walleyes and saugers in 20 - 28'. Varying ice conditions all over the lake so please go through a resort and use the ice roads as they are checked daily and groomed for smoother travel.  Some ice roads allowing 1/2 ton trucks.  Most resorts update Facebook pages for current info or call ahead.  Water clarity is good.  Some days jigging line is hot, some days dead stick with a plain hook / minnow.  Gold, glow, and pink are good colors.  Try a rattle if fish not reacting.  Auger extension could be necessary in spots where ice is layered. 

The Rainy River is ice covered with a few local fish houses here and there, but overall, with current of the river, we suggest working through resorts for safety.  The majority of the resorts fish the lake.  

The NW Angle has good ice conditions where resorts have ice roads / trails and fishing has started out excellent.  Walleyes in 22-26' with mixed in saugers, pike and perch.  Resorts are guiding anglers to big crappie on the Ontario side of lake. Snowmobile trail from Wheeler's Point on south shore to NW Angle is marked.  

Maci, big pike, ice fishing.jpg

Taylor, 28 inch walleye ice fishing, Sportsman's Lodge.jpg

Ten year old with 29 inch walleye.jpg

Rachel walleye_122417.jpeg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been really good this past week with good numbers of slot fish and a 30” walleye. We have been on the move with our houses and it is paying off.  Multiple houses producing an all day sauger bite with plenty of walleye mixed in. 20-24 feet is where we have found the most action. Glow and white/gold spoons have been the prefered color as of late. 

Our snowmobile and marked trails are in great condition.  Thirty inches of ice is common with 24 in higher current areas.

Up in Canada, limits of crappies are still being had in 30’ and deeper water.  Ultra light tackle and rod set up can make the difference some days, while other days crappies can be caught on Rip’n Raps and Jigging spoons.  Walleye action remains strong on reefs and points in 24-28 feet. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, limits of walleye and sauger are being caught between 22 and 25 feet. Presentation changes daily from deadstick to jigging but not both. Pink and white, or gold and chartreuse have had many slot fish and lost a few BIG ones.

The Canadian side of the lake has seen a lot of northern action, with the biggest closing in on 48.” Walleye are still plentiful off of reefs and points. Crappie action has been sporatic with the changing weather fronts. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Sushilicious
    • Sushilicious
    • Sushilicious
      So dad, my bro, n I started fishing at 4pm last Sunday (crane). We caught 21 eyes, 4 sauger, n a 10in. Perch. We were fortunate enough that 12 eyes, 2 saugers n the perch were keepers. We also had the pleasure of throwing back two 18", a 22" and a 24" eye. We ended up fishing  for 5 hours. There were 2 thing we noticed that affected r fishing. (A) the lack of water ment lack of current which is fundamental the first 3 weeks of opener. (B) we seen 14+ eyes surface as well as 6-7 mayflies in the boat. Getanet I hate 2 state the obvious but from my quick look at kab u weren't even close to a spot I would think would be good this time of year. The best 4 types of spots the first 3 weeks of eyes opener in vnp r current, current, current, n sand. I've never fished kab this time of year but I know Sullivan bay/ash river is the best spot.
    • Sushilicious
      Guessing u aren't from the 218. I went 2 the Virginia n Chisholm lucky 7s today n both locations had shiners. 
    • Wanderer
      I used to fish the City lakes quite a bit many years ago.  Calhoun was a go to for me to have a fun bass fishing day.  I can’t tell you how things are now but back then (1990’s) I’d not only expect numbers but at least one 5 lbr each outing.  My best from there was 6lb 4oz caught on a 10 inch black/blue Power Worm.  We used Carolina Rigged lizards as our second best bait.  We lost some of those to the muskies though. Lake of the Isles was not as good to us but had more interesting Muskie stories than Calhoun did.   Heck, is it even called “Calhoun” anymore?
    • slammer
      On our way up for the weekend.  Live or frozen shiners?   Best place to get them?  thanks
    • Raven77
      Really enjoyed your video.  Thanks for sharing!
    • Wakemup
      Any reports from Frazier bay at all? I’m thinking of making a run in my little boat the narrows. I’m itching to catch some walleye for the frying pan and think heading east may be my best bet but want to see if there’s any info out there before I make the 45 minutes trip!
    • Harv
      Saturday opener was great on Basswood for 3 of us.  Well, bitter sweet.  We brought 10 fish home; but due to the slot of only 1 over 20 inches we had to let 10 fish go.  Some  big eyes that afternoon
    • TheEyesofanAngler
      it definitely is a good area! i appreciate the advice i''ll definitely get out there a couple times to give it a try. Yes, i do have a kayak. My friend is always talking about st johns.   Side note: Has anyone ever had a chance to get out to Calhoun or Lake of isles?  I heard the bass are there in fairly large size..