• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

OhioVike

I have $50 to spend on Musky lures for a 14 year old boy.  Last fall he caught a nice musky, from my kayak, and was unable to land it to get a picture.  He did get it up to the kayak several times so he got a good look at it and has been bit by the Musky Fishing Bug.  I am looking for suggestions for the young man and was hoping to get some help here.  

• Like 1

LBerquist

What got me hooked on musky fishing when I was a kid was topwater. Nothing more exciting than watching the water explode. My first musky came on a rubber frog while bass fishing, my little brother casted over my line and as I lectured him and reeled my line up as quick as I could, WHAM. Since then I have had some of my best memories from topwater. Poe's giant jackpot, prop baits, creepers, klack/buzz bait. He's going to spend a lot of time casting, giving him something to watch helps pass the time and when he gets follows they will normally be shallow so he will be able to see them. 

• Like 2

TomWehler

Total agree Topwater mix rules for a kid learning to muskie fish.  Kayak ~~~ At 14 years can by now control the craft & cast pretty well so mix of small to medium size bucktails and a glider or two kick it any time.  Host of things to purchase out there but really no need. Keep it simple, have fun, learn the lake, the fish, the food....he will enjoy it an be hooked for long long time.  And will he succeed ~ YES indeed ~ 96 & 3/4 percent ~  guaranteed.   : )     Keep on rocken!    T

• Like 2

Frank Boling 41

Hey Tommy,

Glad to see you're still rocken!.

Frank

• Thanks 1

Cliff Wagenbach

Hi Frank!

Good to see that you are still hanging around the FM site!

Cliff

Frank Boling 41

Hi Cliff!

I'm planning a trip up there in next few weeks...Hope to see you.

Frank

ZachD

If he is going to fish them from a kayak I would suggest getting him a boga grip that way he can get it out of the water

OhioVike

He will be fishing primarily from a boat in 2018!

JTeeth

A return client for a couple years brought fish grips with him... After watching him mangle a couple fish I asked him not to bring them anymore. Big fish need more care when landing in my experience. I hand land most muskies. This helps with not bringing a green (not ready) fish into the boat to hurt itself and the boat. With musky fishing growing in popularity I'm noticing a lot more fish with net scars from green fish. For a young musky angler learn correct technique early. The scars after a 4 fish day are a badge of honor. One of the best gifts I've received for my musky gear is a good pair of wire cutters. I use them to cut hooks in an emergency or out of a poorly hooked fish. Or if you can find it...a jar of musky slime cologne, my wife loves it. Ha! Good luck

image.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• jkrash
      By jkrash
      So whats your best guess for ice out this spring or summer.
      http://www.lakevermilion.com/iceout/contest.html
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      On the last day to target predator species during this Ice Fishing season I went out on Lake Vermilion. I setup for the morning on a break where I usually catch Walleye's with a few Yellow Perch mixed in but on this outing I caught mainly Jumbo Perch! Plus one bonus fish that took me over 4 minutes to get up the hole...

• AlwaysFishing23
      By AlwaysFishing23
      Hey everyone, coming up on friday and wanted to see if anyone has been catching any around the pike bay area what techniques have been working and if there has been any smallies been caught around that area also? Thanks!
    • Wakemup
      By Wakemup
      I have been thinking it would be nice to have a thread for fishing reports specifically on the West End lake. Everyone knows that the east has more walleyes so it seems most of the reports are geared toward the east end. 
      Not always, but it often seems The fishing report from the east vs west can be very different and I think a separate thread might help people (myself included) out who fish the west end. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      By Cliff Wagenbach
      The walleye bite has been very good most of August for me.
      Most of my walleyes have been caught on sand/rock reefs located in the main lake basins.
      The standard depths has been 16 feet to 23 feet with almost nothing coming from water deeper then 26 feet. A few walleyes have been caught in 8 foot to 14 foot  sandy areas also.
      The average size of the walleyes has increased a little. Most of our keeper sized fish are now running 14" to 16".
      Not as many bigger slot fish showing up in our daily catch now though. Maybe one or two a day that are in the 18" to 22" range.
      Lindy rigs baited with 1/2 crawler is still my go to presentation, although the past week I have been using Uncle Josh Pork Crawlers on my rigs with great success!
      I tried this bait on a whim just to see if it would work and have found it to be just as effective as the real crawler! A real advantage is that the Rusties cannot eat it off of the hook and I can easily catch 6 to 8 walleyes on one piece before I have to either re-bait or re-hook it! It also tends to float a little which makes it even more effective!
      Good fishing!
      Cliff

• airnuts
      By airnuts
      Coming up for our annual "boys" fishing trip June 30 - July 4th. Staying on Frazer Bay fishing for walleyes. Was up a month ago but only managed 4 keepers for a fry, no slot fish. We were there primarily to repair docks for my brother-in-laws folks place so we only fished a couple of times. This time will be primarily fishing. Sounds like the mayfly hatch will be over by the time we arrive, hope to read some fishing reports after this weekend. Our past success is usually slip-bobbering the reefs in 20 FOW with what ever bait is recommended at the time.
      Thanks!
      Kevin
    • MarkB
      By MarkB
      My wife and I continue to venture out on a fairly regular basis. We've only missed one day since the last post. The water continues to warm and has been holding pretty steady in the low 70's. We have been continuing our bobber onslaught and we have definitely noticed a pattern of fewer bites and smaller average fish. We have still been catching a good percentage of 20"+ walleyes. I figure the fishing is going good when we can average 20-25% slot fish on an outing. The 15"-17"+ size walleyes that were making up a good percentage of our catch the past couple of weeks have definitely tapered off. We are beginning to revert to a 50% dink average Lots of smallish bass, 12"-14", have been showing up on the rocks with the walleyes. They're fun to catch but kind of a pain when targeting big walleyes. We've been eating more fish of late and the last meal or two involved walleyes that were absolutely stuffed with mayflies We are still finding the walleye in the rocks adjacent to deeper water. 18'-24' has been productive depths for us.
      We are going to change our method on our next outing. It's time for us to get back to the bottom bouncers. I've got a flat of crawlers that are just screaming to get into the game We will most likely stick with leeches also and add a floater to the terminal tackle in back of the hook and bead. I would think that most reefs with close by deep water will be holding walleyes. We'll keep posting to let you know what we find.
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB
    • TenPoundEyes
      By TenPoundEyes
      Looking for any action for our wives................. any help appreciated. McKinley Campground is where we will be launching from.  Panfish smallies........ dont matter just some action. Have a pontoon and looking to anchor up somewhere.

Thank You!
    • MarkB
      By MarkB
      Since our guests left, lots of things not related to fishing has been going on. I've been recuperating from a heart procedure and my boat has been recuperating from Aronson's replacing the damaged motor parts. Both of us are much better now, so, my wife and I ventured out and tried our luck this afternoon. I'm not supposed to lift over 10#'s for a few more days and it took me most of the morning to convince her that the anchors only weighed 10#'s. Anyway, it was good to get back out again. We left the house around 4:00 and actually started fishing at 4:30. We were home by 7:15. It seemed like boat traffic was about normal and Daisy Bay water temps were 69.5 degrees when we left. The warmest water we saw on our outing was 71.5 and the water we fished was 69.5 degrees. I drove straight out to a reef we've been fishing on and off for the past couple of weeks. A slight breeze out of the SE made anchoring easy and we were ready to go.
      My wife uses a casting reel and while she is excellent at trolling, I usually cast her line while bobber fishing to hold down the back lashes. Prior to casting her line, I had to re-tie her because she broke off on a northern just as we quit during our previous outing. I estimated the bobber stop depth, baited a leech, and cast her out. As I was reaching for my pole, her bobber went down and she missed the fish. I re-baited her and cast her back out. Before she took the pole from me, her bobber went down again! She missed again! This scenario went on for ~1/2 hour! I never got my line in the water, she missed maybe 8 fish, lost 2 halfway to the boat, landed 3-16.5", a 21.5", and a 22". It was unreal! I finally got baited and threw into the same area. I got 2 bites in the first hour or so. Obviously something was wrong with my set-up. I lowered my stop another foot and started getting bites.
      This fishing was as good as it gets. We ended up landing 12 walleyes and one northern. We caught 5 slot fish from 21.5"-24", and 7 others from 14.5"-16.5". The 14.5" walleye was actually 3/4 of a fish. A really BIG northern grabbed the fish after it was hooked and I fought the northern all the way to the boat where we got a real good look at it. When the northern finally let go of the walleye, I reeled what was left on in. The walleye was almost ripped in half and its entrails were pretty much gone! I've had several big muskies grab walleyes on the way to the boat but that's the first big northern I've had do it.
      I've said that speed is the key to success when trolling. I am now saying that depth is equally important when slip bobber fishing. If someone in your boat seems to be getting all the bites and catching all the fish, reel in your line and theirs and match the depth setting exactly. Last thought, we travelled a fair distance today and saw no evidence of mayflies except for hordes in the water column in places.
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB

• MarkB
      By MarkB
      It's amazing how fast time flies when people,fish, and good times mix together perfectly  My cousin and his Buddy arrived here last Saturday and, this morning, they left for home. I always get a bit edgy this time of the year in preparation for their annual outing: pre-visit fish location, most effective angling method, peak activity periods, etc. Fortunately, everything came together and they enjoyed what they termed as one of their 3 best trips ever!
      I found during the pre-visit fish location that the walleyes were located on reef tops. During 5 days of fishing, we fished reef tops ranging in depth from 6'-18'. Specifically, we fished  one reef at 6', another at 10', one at 15', and a fourth at 18'. Clouds and wind dictated the preference for a particular day. The reefs were strung out from Frasier Bay to the east end of Big Bay. I had two people ask if we fished the Comet Island reefs and the answer is we did not. I always marked fish before we spent much time on the deeper reefs we fished. The shallow reef was pull up, throw out the anchors and fish.
      The most effective angling method, hands down, was slip bobbers. We caught fish trolling but the guys I was fishing with weren't accustomed to snaggy rocky reefs and the experience with constant snags was frustrating. So, we used slip bobbers and had phenomenal success. We set the hooks for 2' shallower than what the sonar read(except the shallow reef) and caught walleyes, smallmouth, and northern. The only bait we used while slip bobber fishing was leeches. There were spots we fished that were swarmed with mayflies in the water column.
      Our peak activity period was most definitely evening from ~5:00-9:00. We fished mid morning time slots but found the bigger fish were mostly caught very early morning and the above mentioned evening time. Mildly windy days helped the mid-day bite but nothing compared to 5:00-9:00 in the evening.
      Me, my cousin and his Buddy fished for 5 days and caught over 100 walleyes during their stay. We caught 23 slot fish from 18"-26"(lots of 21's and 22's) and we ate walleyes twice during their visit. We caught 5 northerns with the biggest at 32". The bass fishing was spectacular and while quantity was no problem, the biggest we could muster was 17.5".
      It was a blue ribbon trip and great fun was had by all........
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB
      The attached pictures are not included because of gargantuan fish size but because the parties involved probably appreciated the lake as much as anyone will this season..............

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• TAJ
      I agree with Rayguy. A lot of ecological changes happening everywhere and I think we’re seeing that on the Whitefish chain. Keep looking for new spots and new structure. Fish are still there. It’ll be interesting to see how Fall fishing goes. I am planning on fishing the next couple of days. I’ll let you know how I do. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Ace is right, no need to run to far to find walleyes! They are all over the East end where you will be staying. The number one rule is "trust your depth finder"! I never fish a spot unless I see a few fish there! Lindy rigs, spinner rigs, slip bobber rigs, and jigs will all catch walleyes that time of the year. Cliff
    • bluewater2
      Thank you, my husband and I usually go to Kabetogama . but we are going to go later, had a chance to go here for the first time(Labor day weekend)and are excited to try it. Found a private cabin to rent very reasonable in that bay.
    • Borch
      I fished most of the lake in scout mode today.  Found walleyes early on midlake humps and bars in 18-24 fow.  Got a couple to go on jigging raps but then they shut off.  Spent the rest of the day trying to pin down a panfish pattern.  Found good numbers of sunfish in shallow cabbage beds(6-9 fow).  None were huge but good numbers of 8-8 1/2" gills.  A few crappies are mixed in with them and some are suspending off the break.  There are also good numbers of sunfish in or just outside the reeds.   Most of the sunfish ran smaller though although there were some keepers there too.  Pike and bass I did not target but saw others do so successfully.   Plenty of bass in the reeds and spinnerbaits seemed to be what most were using.   Troll over the weeds and you will be rewarded with pike.
    • Borch
      I fished most of the lake in scout mode today.  Found walleyes early on midlake humps and bars in 18-24 fow.  Got a couple to go on jigging raps but then they shut off.  Spent the rest of the day trying to pin down a panfish pattern.  Found good numbers of sunfish in shallow cabbage beds(6-9 fow).  None were huge but good numbers of 8-8 1/2" gills.  A few crappies are mixed in with them and some are suspending off the break.  There are also good numbers of sunfish in or just outside the reeds.   Most of the sunfish ran smaller though although there were some keepers there too.  Pike and bass I did not target but saw others do so successfully.   Plenty of bass in the reeds and spinnerbaits seemed to be what most were using.   Troll over the weeds and you will be rewarded with pike.
    • Borch
    • Rick
      No brush or yard waste burning today through Sunday The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has issued an air quality alert for today through Sunday for northern Minnesota.    As a result, the Department of Natural Resources will not issue burning permits for brush or yard waste for all areas north of Alexandria, including Mille Lacs and Pine counties. Burn restrictions may expand as smoke from the Canadian fires drifts south. For updates and the air quality forecast, check the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency website. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • guideman
      If you are looking for Walleyes stay on the east end. There is no need to go running all over the lake to catch them. Daisy bay has Walleyes available as does Big bay which in my opinion has some of the best Walleye fishing on the lake.  Trolling cranks works this time of year, as well as Lindy rigging, or pulling spinners on a bottom bouncer. You can also find some decent evening slip bobber fishing close to where you are staying.  Good luck and have fun, you won't be disappointed.     "Ace" "It's just fishing man".   
    • guideman
      Anyone that takes 16 years to boat a Muskie most likely doesn't target them all the time.  I average one Muskie every time I go out on Vermilion. It really isn't that hard if you do your homework and do the little things that it takes to be successful. Get out there and cast, cast, cast until your arms fall off.     "Ace"   "It's just fishing man"   
    • bluewater2
      Was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on fishing the lake, we will be staying at a cabin by Daisy Bay / Arrow Head point. Not asking for your hot spots, just wondering if the area where the cabin is, if fishing for Walleye is close by. I here talk about east vs. west side. Not sure what that means? Any help would be great.