• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

mavshockeyfan

Inflatable life vest

mavshockeyfan

As the ice is finally starting to form,the excitement of ice fishing draws near.I'm in the market for a inflatable life vest.Any comments as to a certain brand to purchase or concerns about them would really help.

Tom Sawyer

Cold weather adversely affects the operation of these PFDs.  While the CO2 cartridge will fully inflate the vest most of the year, in extremely cold temperatures the same amount of gas will not expand to the same volume, reducing the vest’s buoyancy.

It is worth pointing out that some inflatable life jackets have a statement on the U.S. Coast Guard label that reads “DO NOT USE BELOW FREEZING”. The warning refers to the air temperature. Inflatable life jackets get their buoyancy from the pressure of the carbon dioxide gas (CO2) inside the life jacket’s bladder. As the temperature decreases, so does the CO2 pressure. Less CO2 pressure inside the life jacket’s bladder means less buoyancy. So if you are going to be out on a boat or on the ice, when the air temperature is below freezing (32 degrees F), then you should wear an inherently buoyant foam-filled life jacket that is U.S. Coast Guard approved. 

Stay safe out there! Maybe you'll look like a dork, but atleast you'll float...

• Like 1

Jim Almquist

You beat me to it Tom. I have one that I wear on Lake Superior most of the time but not in the spring for that reason. Striker suit for the hard water season.

• Like 1

Cliff Wagenbach

Strker or Clam float jacket!

Warm and safest way to go. Be sure to try on! I needed one that was 2 sizes bigger then I usually wear to get the room I needed to move my arms comfortably.

Cliff

• Like 2