• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Spearing Machine

2017-2018 Vermilion Ice Conditions and Fishing Reports

SkunkedAgain

It's setting up for a spectacular fishing opener for those who can get to the honey spots, assuming that the ice is still peeling off of the lake!

Edited by SkunkedAgain

jparrucci
2 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

It's setting up for a spectacular fishing opener for those who can get to the honey spots, assuming that the ice is still peeling off of the lake!

Yup. I hate ice fishing and think the odds of ice out before opener is very slim. I'm already taking days around the following weekend and Memorial Weekend off expecting that will be my opener. Depressing 

Cliff Wagenbach

jparrucci,

The second weekend is usually better fishing and better weather and less people then the opener anyway but still a bummer to miss the OPENER!

Cliff

delcecchi

At least the odds are looking better for shallow water lake trout in Quetico first week in June.  :D

• Yayyyy 1

MBEA

Any water coming over the dam, by the hatchery? Thanks 

Cliff Wagenbach

No water that is visible! Must be some running under the ice on the dam though because there is a little area of open water in front of the bridge and by the Hatchery.

Cliff

delcecchi

We're going canoeing in Quetico first week in June.  Will the Ice be out?   World record for Vermilion is 5/23....   For that matter how about the opener?    Global warming my patoot. 

• Yayyyy 1

Cliff Wagenbach

DEl,

I think it is a new Ice Age! Should be seeing glaciers any day now!

Cliff

Cliff Wagenbach

-2 degrees here this morning! Certainly not loosing any ice yet! I would bet that we will have ice on much of the lake for the walleye opener at this rate!

Cliff

BrianF

Cliff/others-

I’m thinking about dodging the storm down here in the cities and heading to the cabin. Wondering about current travel conditions on the lake.  Any report you can provide would be appreciated! 

Cliff Wagenbach

Brian,

Lots of ice yet!

6" to 8" of hard snow on top of that. I was out on the lake yesterday with my truck and came close to getting stuck in the hard pack a couple of times! Snowmobile or 4 wheelers would have no problems.

Cliff

BrianF

Thx Cliff. Good intel for us downstate folks. 

Cliff Wagenbach

The ice on the Pike River between the dam and the lake is opening up fast! Should be wide open in a couple of days at the present rate of melt!

The DNR will be trapping walleyes soon!!! :D The walleyes are already starting to move in!

Pike Bay ice is  also starting to deteriorate quickly!

Finally starting to look like we may get some open water for the fishing opener!

Cliff 

Edited by Cliff Wagenbach
  • Thumbs Up 2

meerkat
18 minutes ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

The ice on the Pike River between the dam and the lake is opening up fast! Should be wide open in a couple of days at the present rate of melt!

The DNR will be trapping walleyes soon!!! :D The walleyes are already starting to move in!

Pike Bay ice is  also starting to deteriorate quickly!

Finally starting to look like we may get some open water for the fishing opener!

Cliff 

I always wondered,  are the walleyes coming over the dam?   or are they swimming in from Pike?

Cliff Wagenbach

They are all coming in from the main lake.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Cliff Wagenbach

Here are a few photos taken off of my dock which is straight across the Pike River from the Hatchery.

Only a day or two more before it opens up here on the river!

The second picture is looking toward the dam.

4/24/2018.....There is now a 50' plus channel open from the dam to out past the Hatchery!

20180424_075953_Burst01.jpg

20180424_080026.jpg

20180424_080004_Burst01.jpg

20180424_080040_Burst01.jpg

20180424_080051_Burst01.jpg

Edited by Cliff Wagenbach
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fish Head

Thanks Cliff!!!

Bigfatbert

Thanks Cliff for your Pike River deteriorating ice reports and pics . I. Really want to show my wife the hatchery when the action is really happening this year , I would assume you will be right on that when this happens , is there any way that you can give a shout out on here as to just when this scenario is happening up there . With the warmer temps being quite steady now , I would think the run will be rather strong this year when things get going ..  

Cliff Wagenbach

I will certainly keep you informed about the progress of the hatchery.

I expect to see the nets and traps go in within the next two to three days.

The run should be very strong as the fish are already moving into Pike Bay strongly.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Darrell Larson

Have a couple spots that are 10' open, I live on north side of Pike Bay, large rocks along shoreline helps heat water. Hard to see the ice condition on the Bay as there is a lot of slush on top, once that melts and the warm sun hits the ice it will go quick. Our new Chesapeake pup discovered she lives on a lake yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 1

gunner55

We drive by the stripping station on Cutfoot weekly & try to keep people up on that too. I think it may be a bit later here, will check it out tomorrow

• Thanks 1

Cliff Wagenbach

The Pike River is almost wide open today!

It will not be long now before they start the walleye netting!

Cliff

Wicheesehead37

I saw Timbuktu posted open water in the narrows, someone put in a flat bottom to boast first boat in the narrows this yr!  Stay safe! pray for ice out!