• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017-2018 Vermilion Ice Conditions and Fishing Reports

BD, I have a place on the West End. Yes, there is a huge disparity in fish between the East and West basins. It took us a couple of years to figure it out, but we did. I rarely have an issue getting our limit of nice keepers.  Generally we keep it simple with bottom bouncers, two beads and hook.   When fish spread out over the mud flats we'll do some trolling with Raps.  Every year for the last 5 years fishing has improve for us. The 2011 stock is coming and and we are getting more knowledgeable. Also, every time I take a first timer out, they catch a nice 20-24" slot walleye and go crazy.  It is a lot of fun for me to watch that.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that the thing people need to realize about the two ends of Vermilion is that you have to fish them differently too. My buddy always bombs all the way to the east end to catch keepers. It's fun when we go because it's easier. There are definitely lots of walleye on the west end, and IMO better fighters. It's a different style and strategy but worth the effort.

Thanks for the slush report CigarGuy. I'll take that to mean that there is slush everywhere!

Couldn't agree more Skunked. I tell my friends we'll go catch some linebackers.  WE Walleye got shoulders baby! I have caught 20" walleye that I thought were over the slot.  

On 1/22/2018 at 11:35 PM, CigarGuy said:

Wakemup, Partridge River, Head-O-Lakes, Richie Bay and down into Norwegian Bay.

With some cold weather with things freeze up or is there too much snow?  I am coming up in 3 weeks.  

Last weekend the road going out from McKinley Park didn't have water on it, but truck tracks that left the road were filled with slush so I am sure it could be an issue anywhere.  In the 3 weeks I was last up, the water came up 3 inches under my permanent, and during the 3 days I was up, it came up another inch.  With the amount of snow cover on Vermilion, I don't think that water or slush will freeze under undisturbed snow.

• Wow, ❤ 1

OhioVike,

Not a whole lot of snow but the hard drifts in between can give you trouble with a truck at times.

I am still not seeing slush out from McKinley where I am at but it is probably not far off!

Cliff

Was good to meet you Cigar Guy!  Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself.  I've met a lot of new people this winter that just stopped by my fish house and introduced themselves.  Seems like people are more outgoing in the winter!  Maybe freezing half to death improves camaraderie!

Fishing was slow for us too last weekend on the west end but I did manage to catch a 26" walleye Sunday morning around 10:00.  Caught it in 18 FOW using a rainbow minnow on a plain red hook with glow bead on dead stick.  We were watching perch on the camera.  Suddenly the perch disappeared and shortly thereafter my rattle reel went off.  The spot we are on near my cabin has been good for picture fish but not eaters.  The walleyes are too big and the perch are too small.  Going to have to try some new spots.

Do you guys typically find the eyes on the midlake humps this time of the year...thinking of trying Vermillion for the 1st time this weekend.

DLD24,

That will be your best bet now! Get away from the areas that have been fished to death already! New areas will almost always produce better, at least for a while.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Very slow bite for me.

Did not hear any other good reports either.

Cliff

Very slow bite for me also.  In 2½ days Friday-Sunday I caught only 5 walleyes including the 25" pictured.  Also caught a 14" tulibee, 12" perch, and three 16-20" eelpout.  I really wished I had moved my house out to a remote location, but now it is too late in the season.  It also was too cold to want to fish in my portable.

IMG_6017.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, LBerquist said:

Good luck. Might as well ask for SSN and mothers maiden name while your at it.

You are right about that!

Even when I take good friends to my crappie spots I blindfold them (both ways)!:grin:

Cliff

• Yayyyy 1

That works for me. All I needed to know is that they're in there and theyre worth working for. Got 6 guys, 3 machines and the better part of a week. I'm sure we'll find them. 

6 guys, 6 machines and 6 ice augers might be a better formula.  Also bring a big bottle of Aleeve.  

We'll see. That's why they call it fishing and it catching. My group likes to pick a lake to sort of figure out each year. At least well enough to eat while we stay. Haven't had a problem yet. I'll be sure to let y'all know how we do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Mielkez said:

We'll see. That's why they call it fishing and it catching. My group likes to pick a lake to sort of figure out each year. At least well enough to eat while we stay. Haven't had a problem yet. I'll be sure to let y'all know how we do. 

We got in the habit of “New water Sunday” when we were coming up more often.  Hit a known good spot on Saturday and explore the next.  Sometimes a bust but usually not.  And obviously found even better spots.

We have enough now it would be tough to hit ALL the good ones even once in a season of trips.

hello guys just could use some advice I have fished vermillion since I was a young boy but always on the west end never fished on the east end and always in the summer so ice fishing will be a first for me I am planning to move to the area and I am pulling my fish house up this weekend and was wondering if there are plowed roads on either side of the lake any advice would be greatly appreciated 

19 hours ago, Mielkez said:

I didn't mean my remarks to be disparaging.  We always struggle to find crappie, at least new spots.  There are a ton fish in the lake. My brothers and I do a lot of ice trolling. Both for exploration and moving improves our catch.  It's work but it is fun too. On cold days we move less.  Good luck. I hope you and your clan do well.  Vermilion is my favorite place in the world and I have been a lot of places.  

Awemhoff,

There are plowed roads out of McKinley Park, Stuntz Bay, and Everett Bay on the East end.

Welcome to F.M.!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you cliff  I've never fished on the East End of the lake if you could  give me any pointers it would be on where to setup or what to look for would be  much appreciated hopefully I'll get to meet you out there this weekend probably know a few of my relatives they're on the cook  side