• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017-2018 Vermilion Ice Conditions and Fishing Reports

I remember lipping them all the time on Mille lacs when I was younger. Can't remember if I did it with a glove on or not though. I don't think it's much different than a bass just that sandpapery feeling

Cheesehead, I don't touch the narrows until Jan.  Then, I inspect it without equipment and stay on the tracks and on the trail across the point by Timbuktu.  I believe it was the last weekend of Feb last year when someone went through there.  There was no snow on the lake yet still thin ice there.  That guy is lucky to be be alive.  I know the dude that saved him. He told me the whole story and my heart rate was up to 150bpm listening to what he did.  

9 hours ago, sheephead2 said:

How much snow is on the lake...Can I get around with atv......

Thanks

You'll have no issues getting around with an ATV unless we really get dumped on tomorrow night. Based on my snowmobile ride tonight on the lake I'd guess close to a third is bare spots showing and scattered pin drifts all over maybe to a foot high at best but easily avoidable. 

Also FYI: the local snowmobile club on the East end has put up the "road map" signs on the lake and it sounds like by weeks end the lake trails should be getting staked. Just be extra cautious with new pressure ridges in varying areas toss year and with the extreme temp swing coming up we will probably see more heaving occurring. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Local snowmobile club had now pushed back staking the lake until next week after they have found too much ice variability yet and they prefer to give the lake another week to better solidify.

Coming up with some buddies to fish next week.  Will be out with the Ranger and new skid house on the west end.  What kind of depth and bottom characteristics should we be looking for.  Thanks for any help you can provide.  If you see a white Ranger with tracks and a dark blue skid house stop by and say hi.

Raven77,

We have been getting walleyes anywhere from 14' to 32' depths on the East end.

Look for drop off areas close to rocks or else out in the mud in deeper water.

Cliff

Anybody fishing near Daisy Island?  We have a cabin on the island and want to try ice fishing this year.  Do we need to worry about thin ice going out from Grubens?

Ice should be good in that area.

I have seen fishermen out by Daisy and Banana Islands the past couple of weeks. Must be getting fish there!

Cliff

@JerkinLips

Thats pretty cool to have a break from work like that and fishable ice.  You have made the most of it.  What’s after the work stint?  Walleyes or lakers?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/24/2017 at 9:12 AM, Wanderer said:

@JerkinLips

Thats pretty cool to have a break from work like that and fishable ice.  You have made the most of it.  What’s after the work stint?  Walleyes or lakers?

Wanderer - after next week's trip I plan on watching the Viking's playoff run (hopefully to the Super Bowl).  Will also take in the trout pond opener in the cities.  I don't fish lakers until March when walleye season is over.  I'm sure I will get in a few more weekends of walleye fishing.  It has been a great season with the good early ice, and a lot of vacation to use before the end of the year.

• Thumbs Up 1

I drove my F-250 out to my fish house today. No problems encountered!

Still a good walleye bite despite the cold front.

Managed to ice 8 walleyes and 3 jumbo perch, kept 4 nice eyes and the perch. Missed at least 8 other bites that I had hooked and lost.

Almost all bites were on the rattle reel using rainbows or pike suckers.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 3

Hoping to head out of Stuntz bay and fish near the sisters on Sunday.   Driving an F150 loaded with beef jerky and twizzlers.   Ha!

• Yayyyy 1

Still a good bite out there again this afternoon!

Got these fish plus released a 21" and a half dozen other smaller walleyes in about 3 hours.

All were caught on rattle reels with pike suckers and rainbow minnows.

20171227_145410_Burst01.jpg

20171227_154935_Burst01.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Cliff did all this cold weather make a bunch of ice got abuddy that wants to put his 16 ft icecastle out from McKinley park but been little gun shy till now wasn't sure of the ice condition pulls it with f 250 thanks for any info you may have

Trumy,

I saw a full size truck with a plow pull a 16' ice castle out from McKinley to Birch Island today! He even drove over a pressure ridge! Crazy!! But he made it!

Cliff

BD,

The ridge runs from the West end of Ely Island West towards Cherry Island. Not bad for a snowmobile or 4 wheeler in most areas of it. Just need to watch out for a few areas that are 2 or 3 foot high.

Lots of Ridges on the lake already so keep an eye out for them.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks cliff kinda thinking may have to check it out on wheelers and sleds first as we don' have a death wish don' t like playing around with pressure ridges bad thingshappen  to fast

• Thumbs Up 2

Do I need to worry about pressure ridges in Daisy Bay?  We’re new to ice fishing on Vermilion.  Planning to take a 4 wheeler from Grubens to Daisy Island Friday.

JV, rode all around Daisy two weeks ago and didn’t encounter any obstacles.  The ice was heaved up along the north shoreline a little, there was 11” of good ice at that point.  We have had our cabin since 2013 and don’t recall ever having any in Daisy bay, mostly out in Big bay.  We’ll be up for NYE this weekend as well, going to be some cold snowmobiling.

Looking at going out of moc pt heading towards the portage, heard of a few pressure ridges around St. Paul an St. Mary's island. Anyone come across these yet? 

Hi Jerkin Lips,

Enjoyed meeting you today! Despite what you told us, I guess we don't have the magic touch yet.  One of our sons managed to catch a 16" walleye and an eelpout (exciting as we had never seen one before). The rest of us were shut out, but there's always tomorrow! 

Good luck the rest of the season.

Cindy