• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Long Lake in Twig froze over 11/6/17     Smaller area lakes should be icing over as well. 

Lets hope the snow stays away till we get some thickness.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rice has ice but don't know who much.  Last I heard Fish lake had and 1.5" of ice from High Banks Resort to the Narrows.

Grand lake has froze over. 

Thanks for the update!

I also found out Rice on Saturday had about 4 inches on it. Still a little thin for me, but I'm thinking by this weekend I'll be out there with my 4-wheeler. A friend of mine bought a K-Drill, and I'm wanting to try it out for him since I am without an auger yet this year. :grin:

Most of the areas I checked on rice had 4 inches but I found a couple spots with around 2 inches of soft ice which was a little scary.   Fishing was slow with only a few fish marked on the graph.   You may want to hold off on the ATV until we get another good cold snap. 

Checked another local lake that is usually fishable early in the year that only had about 2 inches and the ice wasn't very solid. 

Every year in November or December you hear of some moron who decided it was worth risking his life for some panfish and fell through the ice because it was unsafe.  STAY OFF THE ICE, how many times is this going to continue to happen?

gimruis, please keep an eye on the ice condition on the local lakes and let us know when we are safe to go on the ice.  We're all counting on you. 

18 hours ago, FowlSki said:

We're all counting on you. 

Terrible idea!  The only advice I can give you I already gave you.  Stay on dry land my friend.

I've got 6- 8" on my home lake.

I've heard reports of 3" on Eastern side of Fish Lake from High Banks Resort-Blue Max.

Any ice reports for rice lake? Going to be up that way this weekend wanted to take my little cousin ice fishing.

Thanks in advance.

We haven't made any ice since my last report and this week isn't looking any better with temps reaching Upper 30's.     We had rain and warm temps with one night to freeze that up. 

Sunday I walked out on Grand Lake and measured  6-7".    A snowmobile went through Rice lake last weekend. 

The ice is soft, drill a few inches down and watch the water seep into the hole.   Last I heard still no travel advised West of High Banks on Fish Lake.   If you decide to push your luck and get out at least buddy up, walk out with a spud bar, cleats, rope, picks, and flotation.

Flew over the reservoirs yesterday, open water was visible in parts on all. Only was able to get a photo of Rice.  Open water  is present by the islands. Smaller lakes in the area are all iced over.   

Rice LAke 11_29.jpg

Edited by osok
this
  • Thumbs Up 1

I stopped by the landing at Rice to check it out today. While there I watched a guy head out to the right on skates and he went through. He got out no problem but he sure was wet and cold. He said he was following his friends tracks that had already skated out. Just thought I would put it out there that ice is dangerous on that lake right now. Lots of open water going straight out from the landing.

Edited by Sherpa
  • Thumbs Up 1

Skates might be just about the worst thing to be wearing on marginal ice, I would think.  That’s about the least amount of surface area to put your body weight on.

Went out on rice last weekend the landing is real sketchy but off to the right down the channel i found 6.5 to 7 inches of ice. Where that person went through on ice skates was about 1 inch so ice depth varies by the landing but found 6.5 to 7 inches consistently out on the lake WHERE I WAS. Be safe out there and spud often.

Warm weather then rain Monday(Dec 4). Thankfully it stopped raining before the  temps dropped into the teens Monday night and we didn't get any snow.   Checked the ice on Tue and was relieved to see all standing water had froze.   If I get out this weekend it'll be on foot and one the smaller and shallower area lakes.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone is aware of the conditions on Fish Lake. Specifically from the public access next to the dam and traveling to the Islands. I'm coming back on Monday with my new to me fish house and looking to haul it out with the 4-wheeler right away. Hoping there will be 10 inches or more of good ice after this cold snap we are going through. :D

Watched a half ton truck drive out from the dam on fish lake this afternoon ,,, Still not sure I would drive my truck out there yet 

Thanks for the update LoonASea! I just received my ION X with the 10" blade from Jordan Grimm in Moose Lake (Edit: He owns the bait shop in Moose Lake). Best deal around from him! I'll test the way with my 4-wheeler first on Saturday before I bring my house out on Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by seymore
Clarification

• 2 weeks later...

The ice is pretty consistent at 20" thick, going straight out from the public access landing next to the dam. My friend and I have pulled out our houses and a lot of people are driving trucks and pulling even tandem axle Ice Castles out on the lake.

• 1 month later...

I saw a picture that some unfortunate souls truck broke through the ice on Rice Lake. Looks like it happened on the main road everyone uses(?). Having never fished that lake I am curious if there are springs, was this person close to an inlet/outlet, or bad luck? I know we've had a few warm days and received some snow, but I wouldn't think either of them were substantial enough to weaken the ice that much.

That being said, how are the conditions out on Fish Lake, are people still safely driving out from the public access, or is it becoming a slush fest out there as well? 

3 hours ago, Northlander said:

landing is right next to the darn. terrible landing

On Fish Lake, yes it was/is. Looked at it this AM and decided to not chance it, walked out instead. The plowed road from the wheel houses was nice, but as soon as you got off the beaten path, man that post holing was a PITA.  

Expect some slush but nothing too bad.  Tim has some roads plowed out of High Banks.  When paying the access fee, stop in and ask what areas to stay away from.

• Thanks 1