• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Monticello Smallmouth

Shore fished the Mississippi today in Monticello and had pretty good luck on the smallmouths. I used a 4" Kalin Jerk Minnow with a jig and just slowly popped it off the bottom as the current took it. Check out the video! Anyone get Walleyes in this area from shore?

workin4bait

First I know camera angles sometimes make things look different than reality,but Do Not  Throw Fish. Throwing them hurts them, you are on camera. Yes there are walleyes in that area, I caught 3 of them today.  Workin

• 1 month later...

I believe there is a warm water discharge near the power plant in that area and that would probably more productive.  Still pretty good to still be catching smallmouth in December.

Edited by gimruis

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JerkinLips
      Walleye fishing really picked up this weekend.  Had to move around to find the fish but when I did locate them, they were schooled up in a tight cluster.  If I drifted more than 30 feet from the cluster the bite would stop.  Don't know if this is typical of fall fishing but it was sure fun.   Biggest eye I caught was the pictured 23", then the next biggest was only 17" (I think others are really targeting the 18-20" fish).  Pike suckers on a plain red hook were the best, but when I ran out of them, they still bit on chubs (although the fish were smaller).  Stopped at Fuel & Food Saturday afternoon and they were out of pike suckers and chubs, so I just used the last of my small chubs the last day.  Never did try the crawlers that I bought because the bite was good enough on minnows.   Enjoy the fall fishing and the beauty of the lake, and be courteous to other anglers.
    • Dash 1
      Made it to the brothers cabin this past weekend. We hit  4 lakes. Crappie fishing was great. Lots of 10-12 inch fish. Walleye on Big wolf and Andrusia was fair. Nothing over 16 inches though. Small pike were very active as well. The river was 2-3 feet deep and manageable. Found walleye in depths from 12-20 ft and crappies were 6-14 ft near pencil reeds. Crappies bit on crawlers, minnows and gulp. Got walleyes on fat heads as no one in area had anything other than pike chubs and we only got northerns on them. Wind was bad on Friday and terrible on Saturday. Definitely need to update electronics and trolling motor to get spot lock. My brother has it on his and had 0 problems holding in the wind. Overall fun weekend with 2 meals fish and a burger night at Becida bar.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A fun week of walleye fishing as the water temps cool to the low 60's and fall colors have started.  The walleye are transitioning to fall locations.  Three different methods used to catch walleyes this week.  Drifting spinners, trolling crankbaits and anchored up and jigging with a minnow, which is becoming more effective each week.   Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  Jigging with a frozen shiner or live fathead has really started to be effective.  Give it 30-40 minutes and set up in a different spot if there is no action.   Congrats to all MN Tournament Trail tournament anglers this past week.  The winning team had a 7.52 lb avg per walleye for 10 fish.  There are a lot of big walleyes in Lake of the Woods right now. Daily limit is a combined limit of six walleyes and saugers (with up to 4 being walleyes).   Don't forget the slot, 19.5" - 28" must be returned with one allowed over 28" per day.   Fall is an excellent time to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchor up and jig over the side of the boat for a very enjoyable and typically memorable day. Pike are active and most are caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  The feedbag is definitely on.   On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far, good angler reports and nice walleyes being caught.  Fall on the river is nice as a small boat will work just fine. Most walleye anglers on the river are anchoring up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from Wheeler's Point through Baudette to Birchdale with lots of boat ramps.   Sturgeon activity has picked up as well with good fall reports. Up at the NW Angle...   Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow continue to be effective.  As water cools, minnows on some days are outfising crawlers.   Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto on structure and neck down areas. Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  A lot of fish are caught on figure eight. Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details. Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.    
    • smurfy
      There working on getting a high draft choice for the top of the line college QB, new head coach and GM 🤭🤪🤫
    • leech~~
      After the first game I thought, may be we have a kicker at least? 🙄
    • mtheis
      The wind was crazy when I was up for the week.  And talking about lake levels, I had to adjust my Humminbird down 1 foot to make the water level the same as the lake map depth.  Just an FYI.
    • JN13
      Model 93R17, Great shape and super accurate rifle, target barrel and accutrigger model, BSA Sweet 17 scope 2-7 × 32, adjustable bipod, stock and barrel in excellent shape, comes with 3 boxes of ammo (150 rounds), asking $400
    • gimruis
      You can't make this up anymore.  37 yard kick for the win and he pushes it right?  Somewhere Blair Walsh is laughing at us about this.
    • JN13
      Excellent shape and it's a Henry-smooth action, 25 rounds through it, 2 boxes of ammo included, hard to find model, asking $350.
    • JN13
      Hard to find model, 5" barrel and two tone, really nice shape, one box of ammo through it, need to have ptp, asking $1200.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.