• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Camp 2017

ANYFISH2

Bring us along to deer camp this year.

Show us your camp and successes as the season goes on.

I wish all, a successful amd most importantly a SAFE hunting season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good Luck to all and hope for a safe and successful weekend however you define success in your camp!  I get to deal with a trespasser and the DNR hopefully catching him on Saturday morning!  Makes things a little more interesting this year...not the excitement that I want but...

The DeZurik Camp.

20171103_153757.thumb.jpg.86e38f4473401d9941a11c4ce4d889b2.jpg

No deer yet for us, the snow is good to show how many deer walked down our footprints!

Our view.

20171104_094525.thumb.jpg.f68ffb113d19ff6f349d5b3465fa3c34.jpg

My Hunter and I.

20171104_094548.thumb.jpg.058a60dd22a5315ca179894bead4b138.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

My Ripley jinx is still going strong.  Everyone in camp has seen multiple deer except me.   Two nice 8 pointers have hit the dirt but all other small bucks and does are still walking.

I’m almost considering seeing how many days I can deer hunt this year and not see one! :D :cry:

• Thumbs Up 1

Standing corn around here is hurting us fairly good. We did see deer last night. Moll decided to pass on a small buck. 

Lost most of our snow cover overnight with the rain. 

• Wow, ❤ 1

good luck guys.

The kids still have tags as they havent gone out since yesterday morning.  I guess they didnt want to hunt in the rain.  Or wake up this morning!  Fools.  Mom and Dads tags are now full with a doe and a spike.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well the jinx is off thanks to a fawn.  I’m pretty sure it’s mama got shot on their way toward me though.  At least I know my eyes still work.

And I think I saw @leech~~out in the boonies when I went for a Wanderabout.  If it was, we could exchange some parking tips.

• Thumbs Up 1

@ANYFISH2

Congrats on the deer for you and the mrs. a few deer for the year is nice to have.

Our oldest daughter picked up a big doe tonight so we’ll have 2 to process ourselves this week.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
9 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Well the jinx is off thanks to a fawn.  I’m pretty sure it’s mama got shot on their way toward me though.  At least I know my eyes still work.

And I think I saw @leech~~out in the boonies when I went for a Wanderabout.  If it was, we could exchange some parking tips.

Not sure where you were but if you saw an Orange Popsicle in a tree that was me this morning.:cry: I had every stitch of clothing I brought on this morning but the breeze coming off the swap just wouldn't stop! I've been warmer fishing on my sled on Burntside at 10- then today! :crazy:

Not all bad, my son put down some meat heading to the butcher in the morning.  :)

IMG_2913.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Not sure where you were but if you saw an Orange Popsicle in a tree that was me this morning.:cry: I had every stitch of clothing I brought on this morning but the breeze coming off the swap just wouldn't stop! I've been warmer fishing on my sled on Burntside at 10- then today! :crazy:

Not all bad, my son put down some meat heading to the butcher in the morning.  :)

IMG_2913.JPG

Congrats to your boy. :cool:

Cass County Road 55.  If it wasn’t you it was your brother from another mother.  Or one of the Wahlberg boys.

47 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Congrats to your boy. :cool:

Cass County Road 55.  If it wasn’t you it was your brother from another mother.  Or one of the Wahlberg boys.

So, you didn't stop to ask how it was going or nutten? :(

32 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I did stop.  I had to.  You ignored me. :/

I was told to ignored strange people in the middle of the woods, growing up.  Sorry. ;)

• Yayyyy 2

My wonderful weekend was ruined by a crazy neighbor that decided my hunting land was his and the DNR had to be called out to deal with the drunk...well they could have gotten him for many issues but gave him a hunter harassment fine for $500.  Well that was at 11am and by 4 pm he was pretty well lit up and came to the property line and started yelling profanities at me for a good 15-20 minutes wanting me to come to his house and find out what happens and "I can see you in the tree up there in your orange suit!!"  Which started getting me concerned so I called the DNR to come back out.  Well they caught him walking across our land in the direction of my truck and in his possession was a bowie knife, hatchet, and a machete hiding in his pants!  He was arrested and spent under 48 hours in jail and was released.  Needless to say I can no longer hunt that land for the fear of being hunted while hunting.  Sad as I feel the psycho won by getting what he wanted and the land that I hunt to himself.  Puts a sour taste in my mouth and wanting to hunt...hopefully I can get rid of the taste but Sunday hunting just wasn't as enjoyable as it usually is. 

• Confused 1
  • Wow, ❤ 3

Ozzie, sorry to hear of your(his really) issues.  I hope you can feel comfortable this up coming weekend.

Be safe, and good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I wonder what his deal is... :angry:

when you are surrounded by swamp and ag land that you have no access to, I guess he feels that since he lives there full time, he should be able to have free rein of the area.  I guess I will now go north to the Crosslake area and try to see what I can put in the freezer.  thanks for all the comments!  It is a sad deal to see hunting land become off limits for unforeseen reasons but now I must adapt and maybe I will end up finding a new gem although there aren't many corn fed deer in Crosslake as there is in Princeton! Good Luck this weekend to all!!

32 minutes ago, ozzie said:

when you are surrounded by swamp and ag land that you have no access to, I guess he feels that since he lives there full time, he should be able to have free rein of the area.  I guess I will now go north to the Crosslake area and try to see what I can put in the freezer.  thanks for all the comments!  It is a sad deal to see hunting land become off limits for unforeseen reasons but now I must adapt and maybe I will end up finding a new gem although there aren't many corn fed deer in Crosslake as there is in Princeton! Good Luck this weekend to all!!

How much land do you have there?  Sure suks to give up your own hunting spot!! :sick:

110 acres mostly ag land...it is my buddies land that he has reserved all the hunting right to me.  After the incident though he said just give the guy his space as it isn't worth getting shot over and he doesn't want that to happen on his land. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

• 4 weeks later...

There sure isn't a lot of action on the deer hunting portion of this message board; compared to the fishing part.  I get it, it is a fishingminnesota.com   Do people go to a different site for hunting ?

3 hours ago, Harv said:

There sure isn't a lot of action on the deer hunting portion of this message board; compared to the fishing part.  I get it, it is a fishingminnesota.com   Do people go to a different site for hunting ?

No, you’re in the right spot for deer hunting.  It’s just that season is pretty much over and ice fishing is heading into a fever pitch.

How was your season?  Or are you still at it?

I know season is pretty much done; checked in throughout the rifle season and not a lot of activity.  My 12 yr son took 2 does this year from Ely area; it was fun to see.

• Thumbs Up 2

Congrats Harv, on your sons success.

We all just need to share our experiences on more often, myself included, on here.  This goes for all forums on FM.

Thank you for posting.

• Thumbs Up 1

What Anyfish2 said. ^^^^^

I didn’t post much about my deer season cuz it wasn’t much of one for me.  I had a short fall due to heavy work loads at home and on the job.  I wanted to chase waterfowl and wasn’t able to do much about till November.  One weekend bow hunting in Ripley left me scratching my head, wondering if I still knew how.

When Firearms deer rolled out, my off season continued and the kids stacked up the deer before I at shot at anything.  By the time I had my first adult deer of the season in the crosshairs at less than 20 yards we were down to 1 tag left in a party of 11.  Everyone was on big buck only orders.

Now with no snow on the ground around home and everyone reporting dismal sightings, I’ve only gone as far as sighting in my ML.  We have a full freezer and I wanna start spearing before the ice thickens so much I pop a hernia pulling my blocks!

59 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

What Anyfish2 said. ^^^^^

I didn’t post much about my deer season cuz it wasn’t much of one for me.  I had a short fall due to heavy work loads at home and on the job.  I wanted to chase waterfowl and wasn’t able to do much about till November.  One weekend bow hunting in Ripley left me scratching my head, wondering if I still knew how.

When Firearms deer rolled out, my off season continued and the kids stacked up the deer before I at shot at anything.  By the time I had my first adult deer of the season in the crosshairs at less than 20 yards we were down to 1 tag left in a party of 11.  Everyone was on big buck only orders.

Now with no snow on the ground around home and everyone reporting dismal sightings, I’ve only gone as far as sighting in my ML.  We have a full freezer and I wanna start spearing before the ice thickens so much I pop a hernia pulling my blocks!

so you guys got 10 big bucks?  that would be a great season!  we went 2 for 4 in 603 and no cwd so a fair year. 2 bucks but no braggers. 

2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

so you guys got 10 big bucks?  that would be a great season!  we went 2 for 4 in 603 and no cwd so a fair year. 2 bucks but no braggers. 

I went to kollege and wrote pretty gud but might leave some thing open to interpretation I guess. ;)

With only 1 tag open, and everyone having plenty of deer, we raised the standards dramatically.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2