• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

JR98

What to do when encountering a barge?

JR98

Hello, I am new to the forums here.

I am going to try fishing on the Minnesota river between hwy 77 and 35w. I have a 14ft aluminum boat with a 10hp motor. I don't have much experience boating on the river and i was looking for some tips on what do when encountering a barge and any other river boating info that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Bigfatbert

JR98 - boating on a river isn't any different than on a lake as far as encountering another boat , or in your case a barge . If you are going to meet the barge head on , we'll then stay to the right , if you want to pass or overtake from behind ,well then pass on the left . If your anchored and fishing the barge must yield to you , but remember if your trolling ,  you must maneuver your boat to be on the right of that moving barge or a boat if needed. . Now with any boat or barge ,it's best to watch real close and be defensive, as sometimes other boats may not see you ,or are just boneheads .

JR98

Alright thanks for the info, I'm hoping to get out on the river next week after i make sure my motor is in good running order.

Wanderer

I haven't replied on this one just because I haven't had to deal with barges in that stretch of river, or in a boat of that size.

Bigfatbert pretty much covered the right of way piece.  You can find some info in the Minnesota Boating Regulations book, or on line too.  

My biggest concern when I was running the Mississippi in my bass fishing days was how to deal with wake.  They push a lot of water and that was the thing I had to pay the most attention to.  The wake will raise and lower you boat so if you're in shallow water you might bump the bottom.  And if you're driving, you have to deal with the swell.  

In a bass boat the answer was slow down. In a 14 ft boat with a 10 hp it might be keep the power up and steer into the wake.  Regardless, the point I'm trying to make is pay attention so you don't get slapped around too bad. 

Good luck!

leech~~
On 9/15/2017 at 10:33 AM, Bigfatbert said:

If your anchored and fishing the barge must yield to you ,

This may be in some reg somewhere but I sure as He!! would not try proving the law and playing chicken with a freeking Barge, they don't yield or turn on a football field of Dimes! Move your ars out of the way and like Wanderer suggested keep your bow pointed into any wave or wake they are leaving. In a tight river I would not try and go by or beach on or next to shore as they can suck down and then push up a lot of water in the whole river before and after they pass by.  Stay safe.

Edited by leech~~

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• CC2501
      By CC2501
      Does anyone know of any good shore fishing spots on the Minnesota River in Carver. Not Carver County, but the city of Carver. The river is pretty high right now, so I don't know if that affects anything. I know this one little ledge you can go to once you are inside the campground, and I have seen evidence of people fishing these, given some got a lure stuck to a log in the water with line still attached. And, what kind of lures should I be using. I wanna go for anything, except maybe catfish or muskies, because I don't have the gear for those. I did see a post the other day about shore fishing for White Bass on the Minnesota in Mankato, so would something like that be good for me? I guess my one question would be, let's say I am trying to jig with a soft plastic, how do I "avoid" the current? Thanks for any tips anyone can give me! If not in Carver, than in the nearby area, like Chaska, Jordan, etc. 
    • CC2501
      By CC2501
      Does anyone know of any good shore fishing spots on the Minnesota River in Carver. Not Carver County, but the city of Carver. The river is pretty high right now, so I don't know if that affects anything. I know this one little ledge you can go to once you are inside the campground, and I have seen evidence of people fishing these, given some got a lure stuck to a log in the water with line still attached. And, what kind of lures should I be using. I wanna go for anything, except maybe catfish or muskies, because I don't have the gear for those. I did see a post the other day about shore fishing for White Bass on the Minnesota in Mankato, so would something like that be good for me? I guess my one question would be, let's say I am trying to jig with a soft plastic, how do I "avoid" the current? Thanks for any tips anyone can give me!
    • JR98
      By JR98
      Hello, I am new to the forums here.
      I am going to try fishing on the Minnesota river between hwy 77 and 35w. I have a 14ft aluminum boat with a 10hp motor. I don't have much experience boating on the river and i was looking for some tips on what do when encountering a barge and any other river boating info that would be helpful.
      Thanks!
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• IceHawk
      They turned out Awesome !
    • Mike89
      I love chips!! I enjoy good chip dip!!!  and I enjoy cottage cheese!!!  especially the Kemps one with chives!!!  But I'm thinking that is one I'll pass on!!! I would try it if someone made it so I don't waste something by accident!!!  🤪
    • IceHawk
      These are two ways I do my wild turkey both excellent!
    • Dave S
      I have to say wild turkey is my favorite. I smoke mine and love it. I shared some of last years luck with the golf league and it disappeared in no time flat. People who have heard that it's terrible were shocked to see how it turned out.
    • Dash 1
      Faith, family and friends. A great wife of 30 years and 3 great kids, 20 yrs and  2 18 yrs ready to graduate this spring. Still have her parents and my dad and step mom and we visit both as much as we can.  Love to fish together and the kids and I hunt deer every year right outside our door basically. Thankful for great neighbors. Thankful for my job of 29 years.  Thankful for my brother and sister and my two step brothers and step sister. It’s times like these that make us reflect on what’s good in our world.  Thanks Rick for starting this thread. 
    • Borch
      They are a hoot and make some killer stuff on all sorts of grilling/smoking equipment.   I check out their youtube channel all the time.
    • Borch
      I just can't do it.  😁   Mostly because I dont each chips anymore.  😋
    • eyeguy 54
      gonna put this out there cuz it really is good. Lol. Cottage cheese. Ketchup. A little mayo. I have always hated cottage cheese straight but have been eating this since I was a kid. With wavy or regular potato chips. And I still love it!! Lol. I might have to try it sometime with a little bbq sauce. 🤪 
    • Mike89
      no but I want to!!  and I agree on the pork ribs too!!!    the BBQpit boys are funny and I sure enjoy watching their stuff..
    • Borch
      I do a dry rub and coat it in yellow mustard to get the rub to really stick.  I haven't injected any of mine but a lot of guys do.  I picked up an injector a couple weeks ago but haven't used it yet.  Smoke moderate for about 2 hrs at 250-275 degrees,( a little longer if you like a dark bark like I do.)  I wrap mine in foil and put back on the grill to get to temp.  Sometimes I finish them in the oven.   Like Royce said shred with a couple forks when It's still warm/hot.  I keep a little of the rub to mix in once its shredded.   Its delicious!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.