• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Camp Ripley 2017

ANYFISH2

Well once again Camp permits have been under prescribed.  So if you Applied you are in.

They have a little over 1250 permits left for the first season and a little over 500 left for the second.

Who is planning on going this year?

• Thumbs Up 1

My group applied for the 2nd season for the first time, so I guess we get to see if our luck improves.

Thanks for posting the info!

are you driving in each day wanderer?

We will camp out again this year, i like the deer camp type feel.

I was planning on driving in both days but camping wouldn't be ruled out either.  Might play that one by ear and see what the weather does.

Thats a good question for the guys.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I am on the fence  seeing I just was laid off and I have not found a job yet. I love hunting ripley but my cousin and dad are busy this year I might sit it out. I am not worried about finding a job but concerned with hours at this time. I wish you all the best of luck during the hunt and that then big ole bucks walk near you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yellowstone

Best of luck to all. I thought about it but with duck hunting with my son this year and bowhunting/gunhunting our woods and muzzleloading in a special hunt (hopefully), I had to choose. Good luck.

It will happen 

On 9/3/2017 at 7:39 AM, Wanderer said:

Bummer Moose! :(  I hope you find something soon.

• 1 month later...

Anyone in Camp this first season?

Give us your personal report, us second hunt hunters are curious!!?

First day report is 650 hunters hunted Thursday, Harvesting 37 deer. Doesnt sound to bad.  Didn't hear of any large bucks yet.

Good luck to all.

5.7% success in warm, breezy weather.  Hopefully that doubles for next weekend.  I think the weather will be a little cooler at least.

I only heard 1 field report.  2 does and 2 fawns sighted. 1 in the morning and 3 in the evening.  

I've heard area reports the deer are starting to move but not much for scrapes and such.  The leaves have been coming down and the woods opening up.  I've personally seen the deer start and stop using some areas as fall has set in.

I didnt hear how the second day went yet.  The long term average is 8% success up to 10% during the 2 deer era.  so 5.7% isnt bad for day 1.  

Cooler weather will hopefully help us second weekenders.

I havent seen much for rubs or scrapes here yet, should be starting any day.

I still hope it's double! :D

I just went over the map with my brother and talked about our options.  We have enough places to go for sure.  It's always fun planning and talking about past hunts.

I put out the question to the other two guys about staying in camp vs the house.  We'll see what they decide.  I hauled our "cabin" home from Ely today so we should have plenty of room if they wanna camp.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good luck. Maybe we will see you Friday.

I will let you know how things are looking by us as the weekend goes by.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Sounds good!

May an oversized deer with obscenely large antlers find its way to you!

That the best sounding plan yet!!

same to you and your party.

I've talked to a few people who hunted 1st weekend... everything sounds positive as far as numbers of deer seen and deer sign in general compared to last couple of years.  Not much for size but hopefully the big boys will be moving with the cool weather!

• Thumbs Up 3

I think you guys will do well.  We have seen a good number of deer downrange and a handful have been nice ones.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've never sat in line for the second season before.  It's impressive how long it is this morning.  I pulled in just before 4 and now couldn't tell you where the end is.

Wet heavy snow started up pretty good at about 3:30.  It's backed off a bit now but the ground is white.  And the Power Loon is having broadcast difficulties.  It think it's a good time for a nap.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, empeterson said:

Wait the hunt isn't until tomorrow and there's already a line to get in??

Yep, every year usually better than 3/4 of mile long.

We got set up at 9:30 and we are near the end of the solar field.

good luck everyone!

Let’s have some live reports guys!! I got beat to my duck spot this morning so I went to my dads pond and saw two greenwings.

4 hours ago, empeterson said:

Wait the hunt isn't until tomorrow and there's already a line to get in??

Always.  They open the gates at 5 am the day before the hunt.

No ducks the spot I wanted to hunt had a guy there so I went to my dads pond