• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

JBMasterAngler

Coming to the area for a camping trip in 3 weeks. Have never been to the area before, let alone fished he lakes. I'm planning on fishing Caribou, Trout, Wabana/Bluewater, and possibly Pokegama. Just looking for some general ideas on how the bass fishing is, or some past experiences people have had on these lakes.

smurfy

i'd check the regs on some of these lakes. some and i dont recall which ones have no live bait restrictions.

pokegema is a very clean clear and deep lake with unbelieveable structure. the bass are huge, the smallies look like footballs!!!!! there is lake trout in pokey but i dont hear to many people catching them. there is a trout pit on the opposite side of the road from pokey just down from tioga beach people fish trout on.

the other lakes you mentioned i've only driven by.

• Like 1

JBMasterAngler

I'm used to fishing the Brainerd area lakes in mid September, so I figured these lakes would be a little similar, except with a little more of an "up north" feel. 

Do you know anything about the Canisteo Pit situation? I was under the assumption it was closed to the public for mining. But I've also read that the mining company filed for bankruptcy, and that people have been fishing there?

PRO-V

Canisteo is closed due to the mine but there is a private access in the little town of Taconite. Stop at the Legion club there and talk to the locals, good chance you could get permission. Start by trolling 70' down with spoons. I haven't been there in awhile but hear it's still good. Bass in there too. Remember it's a pit and some areas have underwater stockpiles and power poles. On Pokegama I've caught nice lake trout to #20 downrigging spoons. Lots of smelt though. If I don't get one in an hour then I usually don't get one at all. Spent alot of time trolling raps at night in 7'-8' starting at sundown. Over the years now they have changed and may not bite until quite late. Only live 6 blocks from one of the landings. Trout and Bluewater have bass and trout but haven't fished them much. Gotta go through Wabana to get to Bluewater.

• Like 1

JBMasterAngler

Can you access trout lake through wabana, via little trout lake? Or is the access with fee parking the typical way to go? I love fishing in the month of September, but it's too bad the days are so short, lots of ground to cover here.

PRO-V

Yes, my nephew just went through there a couple weeks ago. Landing at the resort is faster. Check stocking reports but I think they quit stocking it.

JBMasterAngler

Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to getting up there!

JBMasterAngler

Less than 12 hours away before I head up there! :D quick question...I'm thinking about stopping at moonshine lake to do a little shorecasting while on my way to another lake...is there enough turn around space for a trailer at the access?

JBMasterAngler

Well, fishing wasn't very good. But the weather certainly didn't help. Fished caribou the first day, marked lots of cisco and lakers, but no bites. Planned on bluewater on Monday, but because of the wind, we took the channel to trout instead. Caught several nice bluegills and a 30 inch pike. No lakers, but I did get stuck in weeds in 35 ft of water, never had that happen before. Was going to launch at same access on wabana on Tuesday, and go to bluewater, but wind was even worse. We took a drive and went up to Larson lake. Lost a nice pike, but nothing else. Thought for sure I'd at least catch 1 splake! Survived the storm that night. Stopped at pokegama on way home and fished for a couple hours. Lost a muskie, and had a big pike break my line. My son was really excited to catch his first rock bass. It would be nice to come back someday, but it might be awhile. Caribou could be good in the winter, maybe. Oh well. Final camping trip of the year is in the books!

PRO-V

Beats working anyway. Sorry you didn't have better luck.

Duffman
On 9/21/2017 at 9:38 AM, JBMasterAngler said:

No lakers, but I did get stuck in weeds in 35 ft of water, never had that happen before. 

While ice fishing on Caribou, I was gobsmacked that I could see my jig over thirty feet deep when peering down the hole.

smurfy

Gobsmacked?!!:cry::confused::grin:

• Haha 1

leech~~

I think Duff has been hacked? He's replying to posts over a year old now? :eek:

• Haha 1

Duffman

I haven't been here in ages.

But I have fished Moonshine, Caribou, Trout, Little Trout, Wabana, Bee Cee (when it held trout), Lucky, Kremer and Nickel.

So this thread caught my eye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smurfy
1 hour ago, Duffman said:

I haven't been here in ages.

But I have fished Moonshine, Caribou, Trout, Little Trout, Wabana, Bee Cee (when it held trout), Lucky, Kremer and Nickel.

So this thread caught my eye.

man them well most of them are along 38 north of rapids. some of them little puddles too!!!!!!