• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jigging Raps

ANYFISH2

Just started playing with these this week as a friend has been have goos luck all summer with them on the Cass lake chain.

I have not any success yet but not real sure on the best way to use them with my set this week.  My friend searches pods of fish out with electronics then spot locks and vertical jigs.

I have no electronics or spot lock so I have been control drifting and jigging.

My questions...

Is there a depth they work better in, shallow vs. deeper?

Better vertically jigged vs trolled vs casted and jigged?

prime colors? of course my be lake dependent.

typically, aggressive jigging vs subtle jigging?

Thanks for tips

According to Al Linder you can do it all with them...on his video that I watched a while back he was in deeper water throwing into 15 feet and working it back to the boat.  I have not tried it yet but will have to sometime this year.  Sand or gravel bottom would be the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like drifting with them and snap jigging them with a controlled fall...Almost every time you'll feel that tick just as it's hitting bottom... Last time I was on mille lacs that's all I could get them to go on. As far as colors I'd just match the forage Tullies in the lake use blue,purples,silvers....Perch use perch colors.. I think the jiggin rap is my new favorite way to fish, but it gets scary with them little hooks when you got a big eye on lol.

• Thumbs Up 1
ANYFISH2

no doubt aboit the hooks, they are lottle stickers.

My last trip to Mille Lacs I lost a big eye right before I saw it with the jiggin rap...Then 10 minutes later I hooked a 28.5" eye and that was the most scared I've been fighting a fish lol... Every head shake I was darn near dropping my rod tip in the water lol.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 7 months later...
Alex wilhelmi

i use jigging raps down here on ice, and they almost always bring something in, northland puppet minnows are awesome too. girlfriend caught a 35 in muskie on a purple 3 inch jigging rap with a minnow head winter 2016. awesome lures . yeah al linder loves those things, i think he said its his favorite MN lure. i talked to a local on french lake 3 weeks ago . he said he never uses them, but he showd me lots of eye and crappie pics from french and fox through the ice. maybe they only work in iowa..for some stupid reason who knows. i tried raps today and yesterday on shields and roberds. no dice. custom jigs and spins makes a "rotating power minnow" similar to the rapala. but no nose hook. and tail hook isnt fixed, they look bad ass. check em out at custom jigs and spins website, i just found it not long ago.

good luck all