• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chevy Nation

Hey guys and gals!

I was wondering what kind of fish is this? I was thinking they were redhorse suckers or something but I am not 100% sure! I have been catching them out of the Mississippi and don't know if they are invasive or what the heck they are because they smell god awful!

Thanks!

20170629_165608.jpg

Edited by Chevy Nation
BringAnExtension

As Leech noted, it is a freshwater drum.  Also commonly called a sheepshead.  They are native to Minnesota and put up a good fight.

I will be participating in a sheepshead fishing tournament on Sunday.

Chevy Nation

Thanks a lot BringAnExtension, I have so far caught 4 and only one has put up a fight which is the one that I have above. Where is the tournament out of curiosity?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      So the weather really tanked!! I was hoping to fish until November before winterizing the boat.

Anyone been out...either reservoirs or up Hwy 53? Any idea of when landings start pulling docks...probably on DNR site huh?
    • icefishkab
      By icefishkab
      We are excited to announce that Sandy Point Lodge & Resort has purchased Aluma-Lite angling houses to rent this winter in addition to our already established fleet of darkhouse rentals for spearing.  Spend your winter trip hunting for a trophy Northern, angling Walleye, or a combination of both!  More information can be found at https://sandypointlodge.com/winter-activities!

Contact us today at 218-875-2615 or via email at [email protected]

Fish on!
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      Heading out to Leech in the cold temps...hoping to stay at least dry. Any reports or bait suggestions? I’ll keep you posted.
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      The bass are starting to put their feed bag on! Check out this video below. We were near Park Rapids.

• Uncle Boney
      By Uncle Boney
      Staying 10 days in the narrows, end of September. Should we head west toward Treasure Island or east toward Frazier Bay?  I’m usually a slip bobber guy. Any live bait tips. Fished on Vermilion but never this late in the fall. 

Anything  to catch in the Narrows other than Northerns?
    • Steven k
      By Steven k
      I've been in the area for a while but I haven't tried river fishing for walleye.  I think it would be a great time with my 12 year old. Just wondering on basically the best approach would be. Are there any decent spots where it's a little more private?  Thanks for any help. 
    • simonmichel
      By simonmichel
      Hi, I already use squarebill cranking and am looking for a good normal Crankbait. What is the best one?
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • Mkregness
      By Mkregness
      Does anybody have any experience with Wilson lake? 
      It got good reports on the DNR survey but I’ve never fished it.
      looking for walleye in northerns.
    • Salsballs93
      By Salsballs93
      Looking to bring my fly fishing into the metro. Anyone willing to share where they've gone, if at all?
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      Same latitude as your turf but at the western end of the state yesterday.  Water temps are around 40 on the big water but the small ponds are freezing or capped already.  Birds are on the move big time including light and dark geese and swans.   Some small ponds that were partially open had a few birds on them that appeared to mostly be hooded mergs.   We had a spoony shoot with a few others mixed in. GWT and BWT (loner), gadwall, and buffleheads.  We saw blue bills and golden eyes but no shots fired on them.  3 man limit.  
    • Coleman
      Anyone been on the Chain or Big Birch within the past 3-4 days?  Just curious what the water temps are hovering around.  
    • billrider80
      Wesco Jobmaster, more here https://bootsgeek.com/wesco-boot-review/. This purely American boot Co, with more than 100 years in the business, has a well-earned reputation for quality and durability.
    • BigVTim
      Yikes! Looks like it would be hard to launch and load with the ice on the ramps.  
    • JerkinLips
      McKinley Park parking lot is plowed regularly but is often quite busy.  Fortune Bay would be another option but I assume the parking lot is for guests (or customers).
    • monstermoose78
      Had fun diver hunting but my partners sucked at shooting worse than me. First flock I let them shoot and I dropped one it was a ringer and Finn chased that suck way out in the lake and around. Ended up with one merganser and my hunting partners never touched a duck.
    • SkunkedAgain
      In years past, Jack and other owners of the Landing used to keep the boat launch plowed next door. The last owners of the Landing didn't do it. I've asked several times while frequenting the Landing this summer/fall, and it sounds like they do not plan to keep the lot open either. Are there any other public launches on the lake that are regularly or semi-regularly plowed for people to park sled trailers?
    • monstermoose78
      Good luck I heard a report today lots of lakes are frozen
    • BobT
      Wow, I posted that information almost a decade ago. Those definition points I posted are not my opinion but if I remember correctly, I believe they came from the Hunting Handbook. As I posted.... • Crossbow hunters may not party hunt with firearms hunters. • Crossbow hunters may party hunt with archery hunters if they possess an archery license with a crossbow disability permit.   I'm not aware of any change in the law since then. 
    • JerkinLips
      Made it out for 4 hours yesterday and all I caught was this 25" walleye and a 22" northern.  Didn't have a bite in 2 hours last night and didn't see the people fishing by me pull up a fish.  Water temp was 37.4°F and there was a lot of green globs floating in the water.  Maybe that was from the water turning over (heaviest at 39.16°F).  I will blame that for the poor fishing rather than my lack of fishing skill (which I know I have).   Hoodoo point landing (2nd photo) had a little shore ice and McKinley Park (3rd photo) was totally clear as was Stuntz Bay.  With low temperatures in the teens the next 3 mornings I would expect ice to start forming along some shores.  Pulled my boat out of the water but could easily put it back in if the lake stays ice-free and I get my buck early.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.