• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi guys and gals,

Does anyone know much about this lake? I don't fish this area of the state. We are looking to stay at Cedar Point Resort for a week. Just want to get to know the lake for what it is.

Is it a bass, northern, pan fish or walleye lake? Or all of the above? The surveys don't look that impressive.

Any good guides in the area?

Thanks.

Avid

I've never fished it but am very familiar with the area. Here is what I know of it. Good bass fishing. There are muskies in it. Walleye fishing is best at night. There is a place called frontier sports in Marcel that may give better insite to the lake then I, also info on guides. It's a pretty lake with cery clear water.

I'm only 8-10 miles south of smurfy with the same experience on the lake. Mn Fishing Pros is a group of 4 guys who guide in the area & so is Jeff Sundin. Not sure what any of them have for experience on that lake but you might try to contact 1 of them to see if they have a opening that fits your time slot or they might even have some info on the lake that they are willing to share :2c:

My family stayed at North Star Lake Resort for 6 years in the late 90s to early 2000s. Here is info I collected from others and some from my own experiences.

North Star Lake

Panfish

Potato creek-north end of the lake

Small sunfish, bass and northern in the creek from the lake to the first corner that has an old beaver lodge so the corner has some deeper water; it’s a fun area for the kids to get action and see fish with polarized glasses

Go through the channel. In the southwest corner of the bay (behind the big island), there is an old beaver lodge up by shore (to the left of the cabins). The water is deeper there and sometimes sunfish, bass, rock bass are there. Fish with bobber and worm. It’s really weedy getting back there.

Crappies will move into the weedlines in the evening. Try the bay to the north, maybe around the channel to Little North Star.

Walleyes

Hopefully they are more prevalent since they started stocking it again. Lindy-rig the deep weedline (cabbage) at low light with leech or nightcrawler; sometimes a jig and minnow will turn a few. The following areas have produced,

• Sunken islands just south of North Star
  • Point with bar that sticks way out before you get to the channel; fish from the tip of the bar up to the resort on the east side
  • Point across from the North Star Resort point; fish the east and south side
  • The corner to the left of the beach. Off of the end dock it drops quickly.
  • Bar on east side of the big island in southwest part of the lake.
  • North Star Resort point; fish the flat at dark with bobber and leech
  • I never tried it but you might want to try pitching some of these weedlines with a plastic worm or pig and jig during the day. Might get bass, walleye or northern.

Muskie

In the southeast bay of the west arm, troll around the sunken islands for muskie. Troll with medium to large baits that dive to 10-12 feet, max 15. A dad, son and grandson did this and landed a couple of nice ones. You can use this method around any of the sunken islands.

There are a lot of nice cabbage beds to cast. I only tried it a few times since I’m not the biggest muskie fisherman. I just needed some exercise on my vacation.

General Info

You can troll the weedlines for northerns if you have any kids that want to enter the kid’s fishing tourney. Many times a kid fishing from a dock with worms win’s it. Nice smallmouth have been caught this way on the south side of the point on the docks closer to the tip of the point.

I’ve marked big hooks relating to the drop to the north of North Star Resort’s beach. I fished them but never caught anything. Didn’t have my Aqua Vu then so they could be suckers too.

Northernmost bay

2 humps on either side of point on west side; never fished them but look fishy.

If you go to the south past the public access, go between the two pipes/poles sticking out of the water. They are stuck in old pilings for the railroad track that used to cut across the lake. I never fished much in the southernmost bays but it’s nice for an evening boat ride.

There’s usually a small northern or muskie hanging around the boat landing. My son caught and landed it by himself when he was 7. Black and silver floating Rapala. It’s one of my favorite pictures.

• Thumbs Up 3