• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

bmc

My wife and I are making our maiden voyage down to the Army Corps campground on Big Sandy next week.

Anyone have any current reports out there?

It will be our first time ever fishing the lake.  Not looking for any hot spots, just general info. on what has been working lately.

Thinking pulling bottom bouncers and spinners might be a good way to probe  the depths and run spinners and rapalas up shallower for hopefully some walleye and crappie action.

Thanks,

Brian

city slicker

The bays are still holding crappies, for eyes look at the wind blowing points. Those points are sharp drop offs, heavier is better for weight in this situation. The slower the better with rigging, there is always a strong under current that keeps your bait up.city

birdguy

I'm doing a day trip there on Saturday, will post afterwards. I plan to just fish the big basin area humps and points.

knoppers

that's the spot I would go also. I tried there once this year, not much luck, but I did mark many fish.

birdguy

Just back from Big Sandy, fished the main basin and concentrated on two humps. Caught five walleye and kept three that were in the slot, all about 15 inchers. Quit sooner than planned as the wind really started kicking up. Leeches, lindy rigs, red hooks and a green bead did the trick. Tried spinners and crawlers with no luck. All were caught in 9 - 12 FOW.

BIG fire in McGregor this morning, a trucking business on the east end of town burnt down.

knoppers

thanks for the report.

bmc

We survived our trip!  LOL

Fishing was steady.   We caught 30 walleyes in 3 days of fishing.  Usually fished from 11 am to 4 pm.  The 'eyes were running small, lots of 11 to 13 3/4" fish, but we did get 3 keepers.  We also kept a few nice perch and crappies.  We also caught a few snake northerns.   Jigging w/ chubs produced the best, but I did catch a few 'eyes on the crawler lindy rig combo.  Mid lake structure and underwater points off of islands all produced fish.  Mayflys were hatching, but the fish were still hungry. I did catch a 4-5 lb channel cat in the Savanna River one evening.

We stayed in the south loop of the Army Corp campground.  We liked that we were w/in about 30 yds of our boat which we kept at the dock.  The river on the north side of us and the lake on the south side offered a nice breeze to keep things cool and the bugs away for the most part.  Con's were the campsites are small and were too close together.  Also no turn around at the end of the south loop road.  The north loop was beautiful, spacious campsites, but surrounded by swamp and we heard the skeeters were bad at dusk.  Definitely want some thermacells or a screen tent to enjoy the evening by the sounds of things.  Also the docks aren't close/in view of the campsites.

We would definitely stay there again, on the north loop, in May or Sept. after the skeeters have died down a bit.

Staff was friendly, shower houses were nice, boat landings were nice.  

Brian

bmc

Heading back to Big Sandy for round 2.

Staying in the north loop of the Army Corp campground.

Will post a report when I get home.

Brian

YellowFinRed

Have only been out a couple of times now but did get a 5.5 lb walleye my first 10 minutes out in 16 feet of water. Lots of fish in the 16-20 feet range. No jumping in the boat but catching fish on the mid lake areas. I'll be darned if I'll sit under a bridge with other boats when you can catch fish out on the lake without others boaters around.

Walleye.jpg

Borch

It usually pays off finding your own fish.   Nice report.

bmc

Heading to Big Sandy to camp next week.

Nice bunch of slabs there!!

Brian