• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ted Thornton

I am renting a lakehouse on Lower Prior Lake early July with my family from CA. What recomendations are out there for some easy fishing that require the minimim of gear. Also any thoughts on trapping Crawdads....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Topwaterordie
      By Topwaterordie
      Anyone got any place that they would like to share with me to catch walleyes from shore. That is good anytime of the season.
      Preferably public land. I've got bad hips and cant be lifting my canoe any longer, so Im stuck to fishing on the shore. If you have
      any ideas of places let me know. Id be grateful for the advice.

Minnesota or North Dakota advise welcome.

Oh, Ill be fishing at night mostly. Ill be using live bait, Chubs and leeches.

Thanks!
    • cg2
      By cg2
      Anyone know of lakes with decent shore fishing near Mankato? I've gone to North Shore on Madison Lake but can't find any shore on other lakes near by. Any suggestions?
    • Harry Goodliffe
      By Harry Goodliffe
      A Carp Anglers Group Fishing social will be on June 23rd in Coon Rapids. If you enter the park from the Coon Rapids side (Egret Blvd), take a left from the parking lot and drive towards the picnic shelters. Take a right at the first stop sign and park in the lot. We will be fishing in the stretch or river behind the picnic shelter/playground. Start time can be before 7am and you can fish into the evening if you want. There will be medals for the 3 largest fish captured.

• Holy carp
      By Holy carp
      I’m going out today after work to check ice on O’Dowd- anyone been out checking ice?
      ill put the ice conditions I find on O’Dowd today on here after I check. 
    • Holy carp
      By Holy carp
      Anyone think we will be able to get our ice fishing around the metro this weekend?
    • Troy Smutka
      By Troy Smutka
      - Subscribe to this fishing report.
      Ice conditions still vary greatly from lake to lake. While seven to ten iches of pretty good ice, due to our lack of snow cover, is common, still use caution.

Channel areas on Minnetonka, for example, may have much less ice than that. Walking, with or without a portable house like a Clam Fish Trap is a safe bet on Prior and Waconia, and many areas of Minnetonka. ATVs should be cautious, and I would wait to put out wheel houses, especially with another four day stretch of near-record to record temps that is upon us.

Panfish are biting on Waconia and Prior. They are working deep water already, 18 to 23 feet, probably due to no snow cover on top of relatively thin ice for this time of year.

Try the center of deep bays or coves, or the deep basin areas not too far from bays or shoreline points. We are catching bluegills all day, with peak time being early in the morning, and AFTER DARK.

Crappies are getting nocturnal, so try staying out after dark. Small jigs with waxies or micro-sized Gulp! are catching both, and a crappie minow under a float is catching crappies and even some waleyes and pike in these same areas. Good luck, and be safe!
    • AaronTC05
      By AaronTC05
      Had some luck with the bluegills on Lower Prior Lake yesterday afternoon.  Seems they were in pre-spawn mode possibly.  A few squirted when I was trying to unhook them.    Fished near weeds in about 10 ft of water and landed a couple of larger ones and a few mid-sized ones to fill out the pan.  Was using a panfish rod and slip bobber with a 1/2 night crawler on a bare hook.  Tried a few leeches also and caught a couple of small LMB.  Hooked int one large one that snapped my line on my panfish rod.   Might have been a little excited on that one. 
      Toward the end of my trip I pulled a bottom bouncer Lindy rig (blue spinner) with a nightcrawler and hooked into a 8 inch walleye and a small perch.  Seems like all species were biting yesterday, hope it continues!  There weren't many casts I didn't catch something.

• rlhs76
      By rlhs76
      Looking for a place to cast a line from the shore in  the Faribault and waseca area. 

Any help from someone that has been out this year?
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      Sticks like smurfy said, or an arm full of cattails.  I always made sure I had enough lumber marking my holes nothing would sink or blow away and could be seen from a good way off by a snowmobiler.   Like anything else, some people care; some don’t.     Other suggestion, look up some of the old “Look and Release” videos that were posted on the forums in the past.  Lotta good footage of nice fish left to swim away.
    • smurfy
      BINGO!! There isn't a time out that I don't laugh my arse off watching the way some of them pike act. That's the most fun of spearing.  
    • smurfy
      Usually by grabbing a stick, piece of brush, downed branches from shore.
    • monstermoose78
      Release is not chucking the spear!
    • gimruis
      Absolutely.  But angling with hook and line has the option for catch and release.  Spearing does not have that option.
    • gimruis
      If you don't mind me asking, how are old spear holes supposed to be marked?  I'm not familiar with this issue.
    • smurfy
      well I just drove past pokey like about 11;30 today on 169...……...and not to many are out and about just yet.😀 talked to a few locals..still pretty tough getting around on some of the lakes!!!!
    • smurfy
      I use mine on and off fishing. I have a sun shield for mine in the summer. it works ok at best. but I do use it to watch fish and check structure. I just used it the last 3 weekends tipup fishing. its both fun and frustrating. to watch a pike grab the sucker, mess with it then let it go, and watch there behavior is crazy fun. and frustrating. I bought a tripod for mine and you can zero in on your bait, but it does take a bit of playing to get it set right. I lost the little rubber stopper so I use a couple winter depth finders. the only downfall is the deeper you need to set it, the more risk you have of a fish tangling up in it!!!!  
    • Tom Sawyer
      "Tis the season"     Thee best time of the ice season is here. Get off the couch and enjoy it!
    • Tom Sawyer
      Very common to find large openings in ice after several 40 degree days, and especially with rain. 8" angling holes can easily double in size overnight after a good rain.  It's pretty hard to "mark" holes at that point in the season. Best time to be out there, in my opinion. But, by all means,  if your not comfortable with it Stay Home. For those that want to experience the best bite of the season, just watch your step, and be careful you don't loose that Vexilar down an oversize hole 😆 or get pulled in by a big fish 😢 😢 😢     Won't be long, for me to get the planks and waders ready 😀  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.