• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scopes during muzzle loading

ZachD

I like the option of being able to use a scope if I chose to, also I think this will increase the participation in the sport.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Musky hunter 82 said:

I like the option of being able to use a scope if I chose to, also I think this will increase the participation in the sport.

I will probably scope my muzzy now as well, because i can, and it will extend my range and accuracy.  I am certainly not a purest. 

However, with the advancement of muzzleloaders + now scopes,  there isnt much difference between them and a single shot rifle!  Not sure they should have a separate season in this configuration.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with you AnyFish2 I will probably put a scope on my muzzy just to be more accurate.  It will be interesting to see how many more people pick up muzzleloader hunting to extend their season now that you don't have to use iron sights.  What I find funny in the article that was posted is that the guy from the DNR, said they were only concerned about the number of deer they want in an area, and not really concerned about the method used in taking them.  Well I would argue that with adding a scope on a muzzleloader, you just greatly increased you distance and accuracy that will result in more deer being taken then, when using traditional sights.  So saying they are not concerned about the method used to take a deer is childish in my opinion, because it's going to have an effect on the deer numbers (maybe not extreme, but it will go up)

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the change, and yes I will put a scope on my Muzzy. Pretty silly not to for the accuracy factor. Maybe just go with a simple 4 power scope? Pretty sure I don't need a long range variable. I don't think there will be a huge uptake in muzzy deer hunters. Just better shots taken and hopefully less wounded deer escaping. I think it will be a real bonus in the low light conditions.

I cant wait to see how many license they sell this upcoming year to years past. I believe its a money grab by the DNR. Just as we start to see the deer numbers rebound we will see them decline.Deer are now going to be pressured hard for 6 weeks in northern areas right before the harsh winters. I see nothing good from this beside it benefiting the DNR pockets. With that said I also will be throwing a scope on the ole smoke stick.

I guess we will see if there is an uptick in sales.

I think the cold weather still plays a factor in people going out or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/8/2017 at 7:21 AM, paceman said:

Just better shots taken and hopefully less wounded deer escaping. I think it will be a real bonus in the low light conditions.

I agree, less wounded deer should result from the normal under 100 yd shots.

One of  my fears are with the addition of scopes, is people not real familiar with thier weapon will take longer shots.  with more marginal hits, with notoriously weaker blood trails, more wounded deee could result.

It is not a sky is falling deal, i like it for me, but i wish it had stayed the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I think weather will determine the number of tags sold more than adding a scope. Up at my cabin in the arrowhead it has been -27 for high during muzzle loader season. If the weathers is good it will bring more people out but if it super cold people will stay home

2 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I think weather will determine the number of tags sold more than adding a scope. Up at my cabin in the arrowhead it has been -27 for high during muzzle loader season. If the weathers is good it will bring more people out but if it super cold people will stay home

add to that, the number of antlerless permits available and how well the regular firearms season goes.

Although i agree with you, The weather variability in the arrowhead, would affect a fairly insignificant number of state wide hunters.   down here in box blind country, those that want to hunt can do so in relative "comfort" regardless of weather.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

I agree, less wounded deer should result from the normal under 100 yd shots.

One of  my fears are with the addition of scopes, is people not real familiar with thier weapon will take longer shots.  with more marginal hits, with notoriously weaker blood trails, more wounded deee could result.

It is not a sky is falling deal, i like it for me, but i wish it had stayed the same.

This* I never liked the argument that well if I have a scope I will be able to take a better shot.

Well you can take a good shot and not miss if you are not pushing your limits on the distance with open sights, Let that deer pass and wait for a closer shot that you know that you can efficiently take.

I agree with you I think these people that are " wounding deer" with open sights and want a scope to have a better shot will be pushing their abilities farther out because they have a scope instead or taking the shots they would have with open sights and gaining even more accuracy. So bad shots are going to stay the same or get worse.

Oh well I still think weather makes the decision on to if hunters go out or not I don't think many guys who are not already muzzle loading are going to go out just because of a scope. Even with box blind hunters most are them are property owners anyway I would expect them to have already got the deer they need by then anyway. I hardly ever make it to muzzle loading season as I usually get my deer from archery or firearm anyway. Maybe on a nice day I will go out and try for a doe since I have property in metro unlimited zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I think I will put a new scope on my ml.  I have had a permit for a nonmagnification scope the last 2 years & that has made a big difference in comfort level, but I still didn't take the 200 yard shot I could have attempted 2 years ago.  The only other longer shot attempt I had, maybe 130 yards, my powder had unbeknownst to me gotten wet, so we'll never know if I'd have connected.  I've really never been a turn up the scope power guy anyway, but having that finer crosshair vs the open sights does definitely help with putting the bullet more precisely where you want it.

I was fine with the season either way, but support the change.  I do not think it will greatly impact the number of hunters.  I don't know anyone that doesn't ml hunt because you can't use scopes, they just don't ml hunt, because it doesn't really interest them.  I can't compute that...

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

I'm not happy about the change but am also one that will be putting my scope back on my muzzle loader.  I had scoped it before for an out of state hunt that would likely require 100+ yard shots.  So yeah, it'll be a single shot rifle season now so we don't have to hunt like archers anymore.  Bummer.

And I'm disappointed in the DNR taking the cop out they do with saying it's not their problem; it's a social issue.  Well then why did they start primitive weapons seasons in the first place?  Oh, that's right, they used to think it was a great idea to give hunters an option to get away from the crowds and try something we could test our woodsmanship skills with.  

Thats not a popular concept anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

What a farce allowing scopes on muzzleloaders. This is suppose to be a primative weapon season , with a primitive weapon ,with powder , and a ball . The use of modern powder pellets ,  and now scopes .How is this happening ? Another Mn  DNR bogus mistake ....  the only way this should happen is if one chooses to use a muzzleloader during the firearms season .

Also allowing cross bows for archery , another DNR bogus mistake .  A weapon of that nature is not a bow and arrow as we all now it  , and again that's what that type of season was meant to be... I agree with schmoe147 that it all about money , with the trend downward in license sales , and nothing to do with wildlife maintenance.. 

our DNR is weak to allow this type of thing to happen. 

13 hours ago, Bigfatbert said:

What a farce allowing scopes on muzzleloaders. This is suppose to be a primative weapon season , with a primitive weapon ,with powder , and a ball . The use of modern powder pellets ,  and now scopes .How is this happening ? Another Mn  DNR bogus mistake ....  the only way this should happen is if one chooses to use a muzzleloader during the firearms season .

Also allowing cross bows for archery , another DNR bogus mistake .  A weapon of that nature is not a bow and arrow as we all now it  , and again that's what that type of season was meant to be... I agree with schmoe147 that it all about money , with the trend downward in license sales , and nothing to do with wildlife maintenance.. 

our DNR is weak to allow this type of thing to happen. 

I believe that cross bows are still only allowed if you are 60 and over or have a medical issue....

13 hours ago, paceman said:

I believe that cross bows are still only allowed if you are 60 and over or have a medical issue....

That's correct.  For now.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I would trade my crossbow for normal bow any day

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Yellowstone

I've toyed with the idea of getting a crossbow to use during gun season. I believe that is still allowed. Just to try another weapons and to let my son hunt our property as he has no real interest in shooting a bow. We're kind of in the "rural burbs" and the neighbors understandably aren't too fond of guns firing in the woods.

Anyway, I'm going primitive this year as a I have a Hawken style .54 that I bought a few years ago from Cabelas and just recently got a "starter kit" from a very good gunsmith in Spicer. What cheeses me is I had to buy the ML license to enter the state park hunt lottery I applied for. I was not chosen. My son applied for the youth hunt in the same state park. I do not believe he was chosen (double checking with coordinator) but he just had to pay $1 to apply. I had to buy the license. Kind of ridiculous how different special hunts have different processes like that.

You are correct you can use crossbow with your firearms tag.

That seems a little weird that you had to buy the muzzle loader license before you entered the lottery. What if that was the only place you could hunt and if you didn't get picked you would of wasted money on a license.

All of the special hunts I have applied for have been like 5 or 10 bucks to apply

Guest Yellowstone

Yeah. I applied for Sibley State Park outside of New London and the agent insisted I had to buy the ML license before I could apply. Now I have to figure out a ML spot. Shouldn't be too hard with all the public land around.

Yellowstone, I applied for the Sibley State Park hunt last year and this year.  I didn't get drawn last year but I'm in this year, every year you apply and don't get drawn you earn a preference point.  I think the reason you had to buy a Muzzy tag is that in order to enter the drawing you have to put the hunt code as your area you're going to be hunting.  I didn't catch this right away and neither did the people helping me, I talked to the DNR and got it figured out, what I learned is that you can't enter the antlerless drawing (lottery area) and enter a special hunt.  Stupid if you ask me, what if I hunt in a lottery area and want to apply for a doe tag incase I'm not drawn for the special hunt but you can't do that it's one or the other.  Oh well, since I'm in it's not a big deal, I also got drawn for the Granite Falls city limits archery hunt (does only).  

Guest Yellowstone

Interesting and yes, I got the notice saying I got the preference point. So are you saying you didn't have to buy the ML license? If so, I am going to talk to the DNR and ask for a refund as if I tag a deer in 277, then I have to move to an adjoining area that allows bonus tags to use the ML. Not sure I have the time to do that this year with helping my son gun and duck hunt. I say help with a grin because that's fun. lol

I had to buy a muzzleloader tag in order to apply for the hunt, that is the only way to do it.  For me I mainly bow hunt and apply for the hunt so I can tag an extra deer.  But if you're not drawn and don't plan on hunting with a muzzy, then you're out the price of the tag.  I wish you could just pay $5 or $10 to apply and not have to buy the tag unless you're drawn.

Guest Yellowstone

Yeah, I just consider it a donation to the DNR and the environment then. Unless, I get a bug up my butt and head out somewhere for ML. I just may for kicks if I can steal a morning or evening here or there during that season.