• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

flagislanddan

5-22-17 Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, nw Angle Minnesota

flagislanddan

Greetings fishermen and women! Its great being back in the swing of things and better yet in the boat! Both the MN and Ontario season is now open and fishing has been great! Staffers here at Flag Island Resort have been busy getting ready for the upcoming summer months with some deep cleaning, window washing, grounds work and remodeling!

On the Minnesota side anglers have been catching nice saugers, walleyes and perch. Soon the crappies should be finding their way into the shallows around Angle Inlet and other small creeks and the walleyes have spawned out over the past couple of weeks. With the warmer temps that started out last week anglers were finding fish in shallower water between 5-17 feet now, with the cooler temps, rain and winds most of the fish have been pushed deeper into the 16-26 foot range. Points and reefs close to large land masses adjacent to sand and rubble have been hot locations. Anglers have found fish near Soldier’s, Little Oak, Oak Island and NW Point. The water surface temp has been in that 50-55 degree range. Right now it seems like everything is working from ¼ to 3/8 jigs to slow trolling with raps in the shallows as well as trolling spinners keeping on the move at 0.9 mph.

Over in Ontario, the walleye, sauger, crappie, perch and pike have been hungry. Perch and crappie should be spawning soon. Crappies are being caught around the 20 foot mark . Sandy bays and points have been best for the walleye and crappie bite while the perch are still caught in the rocks. Many pike have been caught in areas with current. There have been reports of a lot of smallmouth mixed in with the walleyes.  Jigging with a ¼-3/8 ounce jig has been the ticket and the water temp has been around 49-52 degrees.

We hope to see you up here soon!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

may 2017.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 😃
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are currently hovering in the mid 70’s.

Minnesota walleye action has been really good with bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Gold spinners with hints of chartreuse, orange or just hammered gold are favored.  Walleye and occasional large pike can be had trolling deep diving crank baits around shoreline breaks and reefs.

Canadian walleye fishing continues to excite anglers via jigs and minnows. Pink or white jigs tipped with shiners will put fish in the boat.  Night crawlers on spinners will produce fish in the mud deeper than 25 feet. 

Musky action has been all over the place, fish are still being found in sandy, weedy bays, rock points and reefs.  The nearing new moon should have fish on the prowl this week. 

Congratulations to our neighbor and local guide, Forrest Huset and his dad Sean on their victory at the Lake of the Woods Musky Bowl this weekend!

Another neighbor, Jerry Klema, landed a 29 1/2 inch trophy walleye last week!

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!
      In Minnesota, walleye have been found using green, gold and orange spinners in 24-30 ft.  Jigging in the morning on tops of the reef has been the most productive.
      In Ontario, walleye fishing has been very good jigging on top of reefs as well, with gold and orange being the hot colors.  Musky fishing has been heating up as muskies are moving to the reefs and windblown points.  Multiple muskies have been caught over 50 inches within the last week.
      Happy Independence Day!
      Sunset Lodge

• JasonG917
      By JasonG917
      Hello everyone. I have been fishing my whole life, just not much walleye fishing. I bought a boat a couple weeks ago and I’m not having much luck. I normally troll with Rapalas and I have tried bottom bouncers with a crawler harness with little luck. I don’t think I’m running the bottom bouncers right because I get snagged almost every time. I’m sure I’m doing it wrong. I usually fish Island Lake or Fish Lake. Any help or pointers would be awesome! Thanks
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)