• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

KidMoe

Northeast trout streams?

KidMoe

Anyone have much luck on the streams along the north shore? I'm heading up first weekend in June and l would like to bring the fly rod to give it a shot. Or is it mostly a spring and fall thing?

monstermoose78

Most of the streams are small. Where I focus is the small streams in the back country for brook trout. Casting is hard on these streams. Some of the bigger rivers can be good. Remember the crazy rules on these streams. 

Squirrelhawke

Growing up in South Dakota I did quite a bit of fishing in the black hills for browns and rainbows, most of that fishing was best accomplished with a long pole and just drifting my bait down the stream if you can read the eddies and slacks in the water you should do fine.  Of course I'm assuming they bite the same up north as they do out west.  It was a kick when I went  back out there 2 years ago and on Sunday morning fished the little 6 ft wide stream running behind the campground, all the other campers were amazed that I would pull out a fish about every 20-30 ft no monsters but plenty of little beauties at 7-10 inches. If the water is clean and the fish are there you just gotta find out what they are eating at that time of year.  Hopefully this helps and if I'm wrong some of the guys with Minnesota experience will pipe up. 

monstermoose78

The stearms in the arrowhead are small very small I would recommend a 6 foot or short rod for most streams as you will be pitching your bait out. They are also over grown with brush wading these streams is a challenge. You will be fishing for mostly brook trout above the first posted boundary FYI it’s normally a large water fall but not always. Also the first week of June there will not be much from the lake to the first posted boundary anyways. Remember there special regs below the first posted boundary and the above the first posted boundary. 

If you want to use your fly rod I would hit the small trout lakes in the area.

A split shot and small chunk of crawler is my go to bait for Brookies. There are a few streams with some browns and rainbows but very few. If you are fly fishing look at Thompson lake by  devilstrack lake it’s catch and release. Mink lake, kimball lake are also good.