• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Vermilion 2017 open water fishing reports and related information.

I've done well with jiggin raps on Vermilion. I haven't tried them this year yet, but they are a very effective way to catch fish at times. Bring more than one with you, as you will get hung up and loose a couple.  It takes a little practice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay...I have 3 sizes of them. The number 5, 7 & 9. I am hoping bigger lure bigger fish but who knows. How is everyone liking the new slot this year. Keepin' a 19 1/2" walleye is legal now. WOW!!! Ace...you gettin' any walleyes over by Peterson's Landing and Treasure Island?

Agreed Cliff, my Lindy success has been nil since Thursday afternoon.....perhaps I will switch over to slip bobbers as well....really been a tough couple days for me, but I know others who are finding hungry walleyes

• Thumbs Up 2

Sitting here at the office watching the next round of storms roll in.  I downloaded my pics from the weekend and came across lots of great pics but I have a question.  

I believe it is a Dock Spider but just not certain can anyone confirm?  Found it as I did my weed whipping under/on a giant rock up the hill from the lake.  I would say it was a good 3 plus inches tip to tip.  Figured one of you guys would know up there.

ps. Did not fish that much with the just me and the kids this weekend but the little bit we did was pretty decent. Just fished windy shorelines. So I included a video clip for your viewing pleasure.  

IMG_1843.MOV

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3

Looks like a dock spider,also have wolf spiders up here...What are the flying black insects all over my yard and laying eggs all over my dock and boat lift?...the ducks are having a good time eating them in my yard near the water...

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like a dock spider, but it not being close to the water, it may be a wolf spider!

Cliff

The black insects are probably midges, (fish flies) as I call them.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

I was told the black flying bugs over the weekend were a normal black beetle hatch. We had them all over our dock as well 

• Thumbs Up 1

Love all them Spiders.  One an all. Yer pal looks like a beauty.

They do grow large an feisty. Tough and strong and very fast also.

Only had one bite on the island of a old client / guest to my Big Black boat back in 2008 who wanted to stop an have lunch an relax as I guess my pace and unconventional way of fishen musky fish was wearing him thin.

Was walking to close to the hounds food dish by shed an ol pal Jimmy McLeggs nipped him a bit.

He made it back to his resort just fine, washed up n took a nap, but his head exploded later that night from the extreme brain pressure.

Everyone thought it was from Mr. McLeggs bite, but in fact we all knew and was proven to be it was in fact just his way over inflated EGO an Love of himself an his fancy STUFF.

KABLAM!!

: )

We have two each year, Mr & Mrs. McLeggs the last 22 years that hitch a ride home with us to down here Musky Acres for winter.

They help protect the property also my boats an play with the Marauder Boyz an always love to help out at Halloween. Oh Yeah...

BEWARE and be very AWARE!!

Keep on Rocken!

T.

DSCF0547.JPG

DSCF0530.JPG

DSCF0550.JPG

• Thumbs Up 4

But back to fishing, Cliff is right. I'd only add they're not everywhere. Move around. This evening I was disappointed that a rocky hump failed for the first time this week, but a nearby shore, 15-18' next to rocks, got a nice limit. Slow delivery with a Lindy rigged leech. I like a red head. 

RLG

• Thumbs Up 3

I just read my last post. Autocorrect! I meant I like a red bead, not "head"! Catching was tougher the past few days, but we're still finding our fish in 18-22 fow off rocky shorelines. Some are big ones and most are nice 15-ish eaters. They're still hitting leeches but I'm carrying crawlers just in case. The water is warmer than the air at about 70.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree!

The past couple of days we have been doing well using mostly 1/2 crawler. Leeches are still working well under slip-bobbers and in some areas on lindys.

Lots of molting rusties  showing up in the live well from our walleyes!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, redlabguy said:

I just read my last post. Autocorrect! I meant I like a red bead, not "head"!

Nothing wrong with it. I like a good red head as well.

Great fishing reports guys. Is anyone noticing a prime bite time lately?

It's  prime when the wind isn't blowing you off the lake. Lately, the evening bite seems best for me. Early morning may be good, too, but it takes me a while to get going.

• Thumbs Up 2

Couldn't have said it better myslef^

Waiting for the wind/rain to die down to go back out at the moment 

Prime time is when ever the walleyes decide that they want to eat!:D  That has really varied so far this summer!

I have noticed that on most days the best bite starts for me at around 10:00am to 10:30am! But I usually do not get out on most days until 8:00am either.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

I was lucky enough to boat a hefty 25" walleye today (a challenge with no one to help but the red dog) and before I could release her, she disgorged two or three semi-digested crawdads. Going back to Cliff's post a couple days ago, it is time for 1/2 crawlers. He advances the theory, which I think is correct, that they are a good imitation of small crawdads in molt. That Cliff is one smart fisherman!

• Thumbs Up 2

Cliff,

Why do you use a 1/2 crawler and not a whole one? I usually use a whole crawler on my Lindy. I caught this nice 27" tonight on a red #2 with a green soft bead and a big fat whole crawler.

20170621_195437.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Jeff_s,

Welcome to FM and the Vermilion Forum!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice fish, Jeff. And good lesson on 1/2 crawlers, Cliff. I'm off the water for a few days with family doings, but should report I've seen a lot of mayflies in Frazer and near the portage. Clouds on the sonar and slicks of the water. I'm guessing it's not the big hatch, but it's providing a lot of food for fish.

good luck out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lindy rig with 1/2 crawler! 15' to 19' depth.

Cliff