• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Vermilion 2017 open water fishing reports and related information.

Hope that I can make it! My partner has been very sick the last few days and was diagnosed with Lyme's today!  Have to see how he is feeling by Friday!

Cliff 

Better bite today in spite of the miserable weather.

My guys boated 24 walleyes this morning and kept their limit of 16, 14" to 15" fish.

They also released a very nice 25 incher!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 4

Sorry to hear that. I hope he feels better. I'm sure you will have a line of people volunteering for that seat in your boat if things don't work out. Good luck cliff.

I do not think that I can change partners once we are signed up.

Cliff

Yea, #5 says both team members must attend rules meeting unfortunately, unless you can find someone who attended the rules meeting also..

https://www.cityautoglass.com/walleye-classic/rules-and-regulations/

Should be a tough weekend, pulling for ya Cliff!

Is Ace in the tourney?

Look forward to the update!

Good Luck and stay safe!

Not in the tourney this year, thought about it but decided to let somebody else win it this year. ;) 

The weather looks pretty bad.

"Ace"

"It's just fishing man" :cool:

• Thumbs Up 2

i got family with a cabin on vermilion, cant wait to try musky fishing there over the summer, awsome looking lake

My respect goes to all who braved the weather for the tournament. I watched some of you from my deck when I went out for a cigar. We've been here 5 days now and only fished three times for an hour or two each. But, while they are not jumping in the boat, I'm impressed with the quality of the fish. I've been bringing home 15-17" fish each time. Here's to better weather and continued good fishing!

RLG

Friday was an absolutely perfect day.  At least compared to the nastiness of Saturday.  We fished in and around Frazer bay and caught about 24 walleye on Friday, most of them 13-16" and nothing of any real size but we kept a bunch and had a fantastic fish fry on Saturday.  All of our fish were caught on pink jigs in 18-24 FOW.  Rainbows.  Saturday was tough sledding.  Fighting the wind all day.  We had to work hard for the fish we caught, but managed another dozen or so, same approach as friday but half the success.  By saturday evening I was begging for some rain instead of the wind.  We go the rain (more like sleet) and the wind stuck around too.  So we slept in today.  Be back next weekend.

Matt

Headed up this weekend.  Just curious if the bait of choice is still rainbows/chubs?  Still getting fish in the 18-30 FOW range?  Thanks.

I have been using chubs and pike suckers all week with good results.

14 feet to 34 feet.

Cliff

Finally making it up this weekend to the cabin since January.  Looks like hit and miss weather conditions over the weekend, but I'm hoping to get some decent time in the boat...as long as the father-in-law isn't cracking the whip too hard ;) . That's good to hear about the success in Frazier, Matt.  Always seems like we are fighting for walleyes, but I'm hoping to change that and try a few new spots this weekend.  Hope everyone has a safe and good fishing holiday weekend.

The walleye bite on the East end of Vermilion has been very good since the opener.

Some days can be a little challenging but we have managed to limit out every day out since the opener! Not to often that that has happened!

The average keeper size has been very consistent also. 14" to 16" fish most days out.

Getting a few slot fish also. 26" is our biggest so far but quite a few 20" to 23" walleyes too.

Lindy rigs with a glow bead and pike suckers has been my only presentation since the opener.

Fish are being caught in 14' to 33' depths.

Cliff

20170524_105524_Burst01.jpg

20170527_081815_Burst01.jpg

20170527_092542_Burst03.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, we didn't make it out as much as I planned, but still managed to get a couple hours of boat time.  My wife and I had better luck than usual so that was a good sign.  Her cousins that were up ended up limiting out, which was the most walleyes I've seen caught over a weekend out of her family's cabin.  We ended up losing a couple hours on Saturday when we had to bring my father-in-law's chocolate lab (Ely) to the vet for mastisis and luckily we were able to reach the Hibbing vet just before they closed as we were already driving for the emergency vet in Duluth.  Ely is doing much better, but we had to ween the pups about a week early.  I'm getting excited already for a long 4th of July week (first time staying at the cabin weekend to weekend) and hopefully spending at least a full day or two trying to find some new walleye spots.

Hope everyone had a good and safe holiday weekend.

Fished Wednesday 5/31 on the East end. Stopped at many places and covered a ton of ground, burned lots of gas in the boat and got zero fish to show for it. Hadnt been on the lake since a couple days before Memorial Day weekend but we had groups of fish pinned down then. Checked those places first and the fish were almost non existent, if there were any left they were few and far between and had a severe case of lock jaw. Checked multiple near shore reefs and it was the same thing, just a few scattered fish that wouldn't eat. Even tied pulling cranks in pike bay narrows on the way in and that was also a no go. Seems like the fish must be in some sort of transition period right now and really spread out? Anybody else have similar experiences Wednesday? Sure was windy out there for a while!

• Thumbs Up 3

F&F,

I fished on the 31st with clients.

I was only able to fish one area effectively with that nasty wind but we boated 27 walleyes and kept their limits of 12.

Lindy rigs with pike suckers at first but then had to switch to chubs on these rigs to get them to bite.

9:30am to 2:30pm . 19' to 26' depths.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 4

We got almost all of our fish this morning with lindy/leeches in 15' to 20' rocks!

They really pounded those leeches when they hit!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

We got almost all of our fish this morning with lindy/leeches in 15' to 20' rocks!

They really pounded those leeches when they hit!

Cliff

Cliff, anything happening walleye-wise over by Wakemup Narrows and Treasure Island? My group is coming up in two weeks.

The waddman,

Welcome to FM!

I do not fish the West end of the lake. Sorry!

I have heard reports that the bite has been good in the narrows area though. Probably turning into a leech and crawler bite in that area also.

I heard also that slip bobbering is working well there on the rocky shorelines and in shallow rock piles.

Cliff

20 hours ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

The waddman,

Welcome to FM!

I do not fish the West end of the lake. Sorry!

I have heard reports that the bite has been good in the narrows area though. Probably turning into a leech and crawler bite in that area also.

I heard also that slip bobbering is working well there on the rocky shorelines and in shallow rock piles.

Cliff

Okay Thanks Cliff. Recommend anyone else to get info from on the West End Sir?

Waddman, there is a separate thread on the front page of Vermilion as few threads down from this one....

Good stuff guys....How is the water level Ace? Normal or high? Like I said we are coming up June 17-24th and I hope the dock on our rental home isn't under water. Hoping we can get some walleyes in Black Bay or Norwegian Bay. Al Lindner loves to talk about using #7 or #9 Rapala Jigging Raps. He just casts them out and retrieves with a jerk motion. Anybody have any success with those on Vermilion?

Scan0001.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I know a couple of guides on Vermilion that have perfected the use of using jigging raps as you described.

The have had some very good success with them. Mainly in the late summer and fall though.

I am not one of those guys! I just have not been able to do well with them! :blush:

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Cliff and Ace for all of your thoughts. I was just going to ask if minnows are still needed for walleye and I think Ace answered that question...

I am still using minnows and leeches. I have had very limited success with crawlers yet.

Had a terrible bite yesterday morning using all three baits on Lindy rigs! 12' to 42' depths. Heard that the evening bite was much better though.

Cliff

The Waddman,

Welcome to Vermilion.  The only luck I have had with the jigging raps on the west end is catching the bottom.  I have always had luck with Lindy rigs as Cliff described.  Haven't  been up this year much due to work but you can find fish in Norwegian Bay but can be frustrating.

Don

Water levels are pretty normal for this time of the year. You shouldn't have a problem with your dock floating away.

I caught my fish yesterday in the afternoon and I did get a couple on leaches although crawlers caught most of them.

Like Cliff said It might be a good idea to bring minnows along as you never know from day to day what will be the hot bait. With the warming water temps and air temps in the 80's coming over the weekend and into next week it's just to hard to keep minnows alive unless you have a bait well in your boat. I'll be pulling spinners on bottom bouncers as well as Lindy's over the next few days. The spinners work well when you find mayfly larva floating just off the bottom and I did see some yesterday in a couple of locations on the east end. ;) 

"Ace"

"It's just fishing man" ;) 

• Thumbs Up 2