• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye opener

ANYFISH2

With the opener quickly approaching, where is everyone heading?

What is your approach going to be?

I will most likely be hitting Fish Trap in Lincoln.  Also a quick trip the the Mississippi early in the week.

Would like a chance to take my son walleye fishing, which he would love. I don't know how to fish really (haven't fished at all since I was a kid), have no equipment and no boat. That being said, I know how to cook and I can clean fish no problem, though my filleting skills are not that great. I am a single mom and my son is ten. I am not fishing for a date, but if anyone would like to take us fishing in northern Minnesota on opening day that would be great.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome ontheprairie!

I am unavailable to help, with I could.

Hope someone can help you out.

There is also possibility for you to find and hire a guide to take you and your son out.  Just pick an area of the state you would like to visit and give a guide a holler and see about availability.

It does cost a little, but odds of fishing success increases.  And most like to teach.

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 2

Wish I could help but unfortunately I wont male it out till Sunday on opener... I would suggest although you wont get to keep any fish to try a charter at milacs... You will catch fish for sure I think last year I went out on milacs through twinpines for 35 bucks a person. Check Groupon and if you want to eat fish ho to the restaraunt and just order some!

• Thumbs Up 4

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I am hiding out in the woods helping my nephew try to bag a turkey.

I like zach s idea

• Thumbs Up 1

4 people have asked me what I'm doing for opener and I haven't really had a plan. I guess I better make one.

Walleye doesn't have to be it though.  I'm too opportunistic to confine my plans to one fish.  It'll probably be put and take rainbow trout in the pits or crappies and pike by the sounds of it.  Maybe a little jig and minnow in the 'Sippi if the water stays on the clearing/lowering path it seems to be heading toward.

ontheprairie - I don't know what your financial situation is so hiring a guide might seem reasonable, or maybe too expensive.  I've come to learn that at times they're the best option and worth it.  You might have a hard time finding a good one that's not booked for opener at this point though.  Same with finding a person who doesn't have plans already.  So don't get discouraged about this weekend.  Maybe another will work out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you all for your input. I am one of those "I don't talk a lot on social media types...", but you have been encouraging and helpful; I wish I would have just asked sooner. I have sent messages to a couple of guides now and will try calling them tomorrow. Yes, Wanderer, the cost worries me, but I am sure that it will be fairly reasonable, even if I myself feel it is expensive. It will be worth it just to take him out; I never thought of a guide before and didn't realize such a thing existed for fishing. Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Cheapest way is a launch on Mille lacs I heard there might be one starting on upper red

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

Cheapest way is a launch on Mille lacs I heard there might be one starting on upper red

Always an option.  Doesn't require an overnight stay and not too bad of driving distance from most places.

• Thumbs Up 2

I guide for walleyes on Vermilion but I am already booked for the opener.

I agree with the others, a launch trip on Mille  Lacs Lake is your best option! Much cheaper and a very good chance of catching walleyes!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

They already have one on red I forgot about that if you are willing to go that far Rogers on Red has a launch I don't know what the price is as they only list the private charter rate.

But really Mille lacs you are going to catch fish I just looked it up and twin pines Is $35 for four hours I when last year on it because I didn't have my boat ready and there was only like 5 other people on the boat (and its a big boat) they provide all the bait and poles

I know they do a hotel stay and fishing package too if you call them

• Thumbs Up 1

Other places on lacs that do charters to check out

Hunter Winfield, Hunters point, The Red door, Terrys

I think most private guides would be booked full by now

• Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, ZachD said:

But really Mille lacs you are going to catch fish I just looked it up and twin pines Is $35 for four hours I when last year on it because I didn't have my boat ready and there was only like 5 other people on the boat (and its a big boat) they provide all the bait and poles

Twin Pines will treat you well.  You can have a nice dinner there too.

I can attest that they were having success on the opener last year.  They set up near our boat and there was a lot of celebrating happening.

While fishing is never guaranteed, a launch on Mille Lacs is probably one of the easiest ways to get a 10 year old to some walleyes for the opener.  The only word of caution for launches is that there is often some partying happening.  If you have concerns having a 10 year old around that, then avoid the launches that go out at dark.

Zach were you there on the opener?   If so, then we were cheering back and forth!

Edited by BringAnExtension
  • Thumbs Up 2

Okay, we are heading to Mille Lacs! Thank you for your input. We are going with Twin Pines. Thank you for the suggestion.

BringAnExtension, thanks for the heads up. 

I guess looking back it wasn't last year it was two years ago

No partying on our boat it was just me my fiancée an older couple then I think 3 other people at the bow of the boat.

You will have fun Linda the owner of Twin Pines is a hoot she will be the one with the crazy sweatshirt with plastic fish attached to it. They have really good food there too we went early and got fish and chips before the launch time.

Make sure you call and reserve a spot just incase it is full and they wont accept walk ons.

Have fun its a great way to get on the water without breaking the bank!

12.jpg

If it was 2 years ago, then I would have been down near Rainbow Island or Sherman's Point.  Somewhere too far away for the Twin Pines launch.

Edited by BringAnExtension

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. Just wanted to thank you all again. My son and I went to twin Pines on Mille Lac; we had a wonderful time. We caught five walleye and a northern. He is so pleased and can hardly wait to do some more fishing! 

• Thumbs Up 3