• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Loss of Sucker River Access

If you haven't read it yet, a couple of slobs are about to ruin it for the rest of us. Pick up your garbage and respect private property. The land owners who allow access to the lower sucker river are about to shut it down because they are so fed up with it.

http://minnesotasteelheader.blogspot.com

• Thumbs Up 1

That would be unfortunate if it was shut down. But I wouldn't blame the property owners if they did, as I wouldn't like my property getting trashed either. My oldest daughter, and son, both caught their first rainbow trout out of there 2 years ago, and it's always a must stop on our way to Grand Marais. How is it possible that the river itself is private property?

Edited by JBMasterAngler

If a stream is non-navigable but has been meandered, the shoreland owners own to the thread (centerline) of the stream. If a lake or stream is non-navigable and not meandered, ownership of the bed is as indicated on individual property deeds 

its sad that just a few bad apples can ruin it for the rest of us,

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

crazy that fellow fishermen are such slobs. I fish a lot and they are everywhere. wintertime accesses have trash all over the place. it's so easy to just take garbage home but some just have no respect.  

hope you all are paying close attention to the meandered water issue at bay here in SD. Sounds like some landowners in Mn are taking notes. 

Its a difficult subject and I and can see both sides from private and public perspectives.

4 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

crazy that fellow fishermen are such slobs. I fish a lot and they are everywhere. wintertime accesses have trash all over the place. it's so easy to just take garbage home but some just have no respect.  

It's crazy people just have no respect what so ever for the environment or for other anglers.

Yup had my favorite sucker fishing spot get posted a couple years back, because of slobs...I'll never understand it.

Here's the State's definition of a public water. Please note the highlighted text.  The Sucker is a Designated Trout Stream. (remember the blasting and improvements made back in the 70's? Those were public dollars that paid for it. ) 

That said, this isn't license for people to slob up private property, only to gain access to the stream. It might mean walking the shoreline from bluebird landing, or down from the freeway, but the water is open, and fishable,  to the high water mark.

Subd. 15.Public waters.

(a) "Public waters" means:

(1) water basins assigned a shoreland management classification by the commissioner under sections 103F.201 to 103F.221;

(2) waters of the state that have been finally determined to be public waters or navigable waters by a court of competent jurisdiction;

(3) meandered lakes, excluding lakes that have been legally drained;

(4) water basins previously designated by the commissioner for management for a specific purpose such as trout lakes and game lakes pursuant to applicable laws;

(5) water basins designated as scientific and natural areas under section 84.033;

(6) water basins located within and totally surrounded by publicly owned lands;

(7) water basins where the state of Minnesota or the federal government holds title to any of the beds or shores, unless the owner declares that the water is not necessary for the purposes of the public ownership;

(8) water basins where there is a publicly owned and controlled access that is intended to provide for public access to the water basin;

(9) natural and altered watercourses with a total drainage area greater than two square miles;

(10) natural and altered watercourses designated by the commissioner as trout streams; and

(11) public waters wetlands, unless the statute expressly states otherwise.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

A thanks to those that clean up after the people that don't care.

Public water is the Surface of the Water, not the land beneath it.  So even if you can access the river through an easement the actual land that youre standing on could be private property. Everything on the DNR Website says "Surface of Water" in the trespassing section.  I agree this is unfortunate,  but as usual, the 3 drunk morons that don't care ruin it for the 1000 that do..... standard procedure these days.  1 idiot doesn't clean his boat, and wrecks a lake for thousands of people.

Unfortunate deal.  Agree with above posters on all.  

The trail down gets so much foot traffic, it's really ripped up and getting wider every year as people naturally walk around bad spots .  Its just so heavily traveled.   I'm sure that's frustrating to for the land owners too.

A good lesson for all. Pick up trash. Or better yet if you see someone litter call them out. I know I clean up after others I would imagine many of you as well.

• 1 month later...

Any update on the status of this river? Is it still open to the public? I'm driving through next week, and plan to stop here (hopefully) for a few casts.