• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Lures

monstermoose78

I picked up some baby beaver lures they look like an animal swimming. What is the new lures you guys have picked up?

• Yayyyy 1

monstermoose78

https://www.beaversbaits.com/

If you are looking for a new bait check it out

gimruis
Posted (edited)

I got a megabass 110 jerk bait in perch pattern for Christmas that I intend to try this season.  They aren't cheap and I refuse to use it in pike-infested waters.  I've had success using jerk baits on Mille Lacs for smallmouth and walleyes early in the season the past couple years.

Only now realized this was a muskie/pike thread...whoops.

Edited by gimruis
  • I Like it 1
  • Yayyyy 2

huntnfish

I am slowly acquiring more Muskie lures. I prefer to toss spinners right now but also plan to get a couple suick type baits. 

My son loves topwater for bass and has been tossing topwater for Muskie so I’ve picked up a couple more topwater for him. That river rat looks like something he’d like to toss but they aren’t cheap. 

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78
Posted (edited)

They are cheap but no muskie bait is. But that are American made and in Minnesota 

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Yayyyy 1

IceHawk

Come on Nick talk to pops and get the family discount so the kid can  toss one 😉 Might make this day 😀

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78
16 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Come on Nick talk to pops and get the family discount so the kid can  toss one 😉 Might make this day 😀

Family discount I don’t even have a Beaver to toss let alone a river rat. The day I get one I know a guy Chris who would like one

• Thumbs Up 1

IceHawk
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

Family discount I don’t even have a Beaver to toss let alone a river rat. The day I get one I know a guy Chris who would like one

Those things do look awesome!! Well I saw a road kill muskrat today. Ill go back pick that up and ship  it to you and you can toss that! 😂

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Wanderer

If the muskie expo would’ve happened I might’ve just picked one these up!  I’ve heard rumors about them but haven’t seen one in action yet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

gimruis

Aint nothing cheap about muskie fishing.  Rods, reels, lures, line, and muskie nets are all significantly more expensive than other species-specific gear.  Not to mention the patience and time investment that doesn't really have a price tag.

• Thumbs Up 2

huntnfish
On 4/5/2020 at 5:37 PM, monstermoose78 said:

They are cheap but no muskie bait is. But that are American made and in Minnesota 

I am quickly learning this. I do think he will have one but something like that will be more of a birthday or Christmas thing. He did think they were cool. 

• Yayyyy 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Squirrelhawke
      By Squirrelhawke
      I've had an old rapala cd-18 since I was a little guy and the wife has hung it on the wall and won't let me fish with it anymore. Just wondering if anybody knows a store i can go find this at. I've been to the Cabela's in Rogers and owatanna both, sportsman's Warehouse in coon rapids and about every Walmart bait shop and gas station I've stopped at with no luck. Really miss using this lure as it is the most productive thing I've used outside a 3 inch red and white spoon.
    • huntnfish
      By huntnfish
      Very interesting article regarding diets of muskies and other game fish. I was surprised that the percentage of walleye eaten by musky was as low as it was. 

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/outdoors/5040992-What-are-muskies-eating-in-Miltona-Local-lake-part-of-Minnesota-diet-study-on-four-major-game-fish
    • huntnfish
      By huntnfish
      I am starting to collect more and more Muskie lures. What is everyone’s go to colors for fishing muskies in MN? 
    • dutchboy II
      By dutchboy II

What is your personal best Minnesota Pike? Were you targeting Pike when you caught it?

Mine is 42" from a shallow lake North of me. It was very skinny for a 42" fish. I caught it while fishing for Bass on a spinnerbait. Water was very warm and unfortunately I wasn't able to revive it. I contrast that to a 42" Pike caught in Canada trolling. That fish absolutely stopped the bait on the strike.

Learned a very good lesson that day. Always have a decent size net in the boat, the fish don't know what species you are after.
    • FatFishie
      By FatFishie
      2013 Ranger 1850

This is the cleanest 2013 multi sport fishing boat that you’ll find. Powered by a Yamaha 150 four stroke, this is a great performing boat. The interior, exterior, motor and trailer are in awesome condition. Features include:

Ranger Custom Trailer w/spare tire.
      Yamaha 150 four stroke.
      Minn Kota 80 Terrova trolling motor w/iPilot.
      Lowrance HDS 7 & HDS 5 depth/fish finders.
      Onboard 2 bank battery charger.
      Large Livewell.
      Bait Livewell.
      12+ rod locker.
      AM/FM/CD Stereo.
      4 swivel seats.
      2 flip on seat.
      Snap in carpet.
      Ranger custom travel cover.
      Swim ladder.
      Ski pylon.
      Removable bow cushions
      Built in cooler
      Interior LED courtesy lights
      Lots of storage

I’m sure there are things that I’ve missed in the above list of options. This is the perfect fishing boat, and can easily double as a family runabout for skiing, tubing and cruising around.

Boat is located in Detroit Lakes MN.  Please call or text for more information. 701-371-509nine

• huntnfish
      By huntnfish
      Last summer was my first foray into the Muskie world. My 7 year old and I were out bass fishing (his favorite because of the casting) when he had a Muskie follow his bait to the boat. This wasn’t our first encounter with a Muskie. We’ve seen probably 8-10 in the last 3 years with one being a giant that was following my trolling motor while fishing walleyes.  After that last encounter he wanted to give it a try. I picked up a couple cheap Muskie rods and repurposed a bass reel with decent capacity and an old round reel I bought for catfish. I also picked up a giant net that I could also use to fish 2-3 drunk adults out of a lake at a time. I spooled my sons reel with 60lb braid because of capacity and mine with 80. I then sent a text to Scoot to pick his brain and hoped he’d give me a little insight into the world of muskies. He came through and even let me borrow a few lures to get started. I had no idea what I was doing and he helped a lot and got me excited about it. 

Our first time out i am casting out one side of the boat and my son out the other. We are in the area of the most recent Muskie sighting our last time out. My son is pitching a top water that scoot sent with me and I’m throwing a spinner. About 45 minutes in my son yells there’s one following my lure but he stops reeling. When I turned around all I saw was a boil in the water. I asked him if he was sure it was a Muskie and I could tell by the look on his face that it was something big. He just says yeah and sits down on the bow of the boat. I tell him to get casting again and get her and he just says not yet. I’m just going to rest for a minute. We didn’t boat any muskies last summer but still had fun. It’s a nice change of pace once the water warms and walleye fishing slows. I caught a handful or northerns but they were all pretty small. It’s crazy how anything that hits your bait when you’re chucking giant lures and holding a pool cue makes your heart skip a beat. 

Our first time out I realized that old reel wasn’t going to cut it with the low gear ratio. It was a lot of cranking to get any blades going on the bait I was throwing but used it for the summer on the half dozen times we went out. This (kind of) spring I’ve been thinking fishing. I normally fish walleye with some bass and crappie mixed in but I keep going back to that dam Muskie! I decided I’m upgrading my reel and going to start the collecting of Muskie lures. I had seen prices of lures but quickly learned that they’re also very proud of Muskie reels. 

I am partial to Abu Garcia reels for some reason and picked up a Toro Beast reel to replace the old POS that I tried out last year with a 6.4-1 gear ratio. I’m thinking I’ll be a little happier with cranking this one than the old one.  

I dont really have any question of any sort or looking for any advice but this warmer weather has me thinking fishing. Just sitting here thinking about my now 8 year old hoisting his first Muskie and hopefully me getting my hands on one as well. Anyone else ready for some soft water? 

Also, I’m thinking that the hardest part about musky fishing isn’t all the casting and standing. It’s actually finding somewhere to store that dam giant net where you aren’t stepping on it or your kid is snagging it. 
    • Finns
      By Finns
      https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/watch-ice-fisherman-pulls-50-pound-fish-through-tiny-hole/ar-BB10DHtn?li=BBnba9I#image=4
    • Dakota Loing
      By Dakota Loing
      Hey I was curious to see if there were any active fishing clubs near whitebear lake or forest lake 
    • Hatto018
      By Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.   
      Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake. 

• Jesse Wilkins
      By Jesse Wilkins
      Hey fellas, I developed a free fishing phone app for my fellow fisherman. It’s called FishIQ. I broke down 10 species by their location based on the water temperature. So if you’re looking for quick pointers or interested on where to find other species throughout the seasons give it a try! Hopefully it leads to more fish at the boat!
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Philco
      I just moved to Minnesota, I live in Maplewood and looking for somewhere near by to fish for catfish from the shore. Any suggestions?
    • ANYFISH2
      Nice to trip for the family it looks like. A round home here in central MN, the fish are very much in that phase of,    Bass- they are three phase right now, some are post spawn, some are spawning and on beds, other are still pre-spawn and staging.  Nice that most tactics can work on a single lake but each day is different.   Panfish are similar, most fish are still staging but alot of males are shallow and some beds are being swept.   Pike-have been all over the board here.  I have figures out a great system yet.   Walleye- are still preferring shiners and other minnows right now.  Leeches have not really produced well with the exception of the river bite.  Most fish still biting in less than 16ft of water.   Water temps- continue to be very lake dependent.  I have been seen 60-65 degrees on most smaller lakes and the bigger 2000 acre lakes I am seeing from 55-60 degrees main lake.
    • Wanderer
      Sounds like you got your money’s worth!   I hunted 3 afternoons in the C season is all, due to being too busy with work and projects or too tired/lazy to get up in the morning.  Didn’t take any time off work to chase with all the COVID stuff going on.  The bird I did get was one one the easiest birds I’ve ever taken on the first day of the last season.     I guess what I’m saying is you EARNED that bird and should rightfully be proud!
    • monstermoose78
      Well I hunted just about every weekend during this turkey season and some days during the week. I just could not get a jake or Tom to come and play. Until this morning I was watching a buck and two yearlings all morning they just never presented a good photo opportunity. I was calling and I hear a gobble!! O yeah I get the crossbow Set up for an easy pick up. I look to the west and see a deer looking into the woods. I look to the east and see two turkeys making a bee line to me. At 50 yards I can’t see a beard on either of them, but I pick the crossbow up and get ready. The first turkey has a little beard at 20 yards I can see it. They go out sight and he comes up next to the blind and heads out 3-4 yards. That tiny beard looks like 15 inch rope at this point in my season and turns to give me a spine shot. Game over a full hunting season used and   Turkey 🦃 wild rice soups is cooking!! 
    • Dave Bonjour
      im, new to this sight,and my wife and i will be going to Lake Osakis for a few days in mid June to target walleye and crappie,any tips and hints will be helpful,,Thanks
    • KidMoe
      Looks like a great time and some big smiles! You’re gonna have the kiddos rousing early you every weekend for more time on the water!
    • KidMoe
      With that detail Borch I could spend all summer trying the different suggestions and combos! Very well done sir!    I might have to venture away from Pool 4 to try out some clearer water for night time eyes!
    • smalliehunter
      couple good ones from last couple weeks.  Top pic is my pb 10¾"  Bottom photo is a ten incherfinally got a ruler with white lines that will show up in a photo
    • Djsnej123456
      Just meaning trout  waters that have natural population of trout that are born and grow in the water their entire life.  Green pumpkin, browns, watermelons, black, silver/ blue, some orange. Colors those fish are used too. Insects, Minnows, crawdads etc. 
    • Djsnej123456
      Great pic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.