• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      On Saturday I drove into Wisconsin to meet up with my buddy Matt and his Dad to target some Crappies. The weather was perfect and allowed us to stay mobile & hole hop around all day to catch fish. We found a good average size (10-12") and some larger fish mixed in. I started the day fishing a 4mm tungsten jig with big plastics but the fish seemed to shy away so I downsized to the smaller profile (3.8mm) tungsten fly and almost every fish I marked turned into a biter. I always have a Wisconsin fishing license so I'm hoping to check out a few new lakes this winter across the border.

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      Last Thursday I got out in the Metro for a few hours with a buddy. We went out in the afternoon about 2 hours before Sunset and stayed for a few hours after it got dark. With the Sun up we punched a lot of holes, camera'd them and were able to find some thick weeds holding some good sized Sunfish. We fished those for a little bit and then pulled our shacks out a mile to a major piece of lake structure only to find that it was holding ZERO fish. On the way back to our launch point we stopped to check out a deep hole and found the larger Crappies to be roaming the edges suspended in the upper half of the water column. Big tungsten jigs with large plastics seemed to trigger their interest and get them to bite.

• Jory
      By Jory
      Not new to ice fishing but I can't seem to find the fish anymore around my neck of the woods in foley mn. so if anyone could give great insight of lakes times and maybe hints of baits and area of the lake would be awesome. 
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Went and checked the first ice lakes and found .5 inches to almost 2 inches. If you go out please bring a buddy and dry clothes.
    • flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Greetings fishermen and women! Its great being back in the swing of things and better yet in the boat! Both the MN and Ontario season is now open and fishing has been great! Staffers here at Flag Island Resort have been busy getting ready for the upcoming summer months with some deep cleaning, window washing, grounds work and remodeling!

On the Minnesota side anglers have been catching nice saugers, walleyes and perch. Soon the crappies should be finding their way into the shallows around Angle Inlet and other small creeks and the walleyes have spawned out over the past couple of weeks. With the warmer temps that started out last week anglers were finding fish in shallower water between 5-17 feet now, with the cooler temps, rain and winds most of the fish have been pushed deeper into the 16-26 foot range. Points and reefs close to large land masses adjacent to sand and rubble have been hot locations. Anglers have found fish near Soldier’s, Little Oak, Oak Island and NW Point. The water surface temp has been in that 50-55 degree range. Right now it seems like everything is working from ¼ to 3/8 jigs to slow trolling with raps in the shallows as well as trolling spinners keeping on the move at 0.9 mph.

Over in Ontario, the walleye, sauger, crappie, perch and pike have been hungry. Perch and crappie should be spawning soon. Crappies are being caught around the 20 foot mark . Sandy bays and points have been best for the walleye and crappie bite while the perch are still caught in the rocks. Many pike have been caught in areas with current. There have been reports of a lot of smallmouth mixed in with the walleyes.  Jigging with a ¼-3/8 ounce jig has been the ticket and the water temp has been around 49-52 degrees.

We hope to see you up here soon!
      Until next week, good luck fishing!
      Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers
      Flag Island Resort
      218-223-8011

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort, Lake of the Woods NW Angle 2-20-17   Fishing on the MN side started out a little slower at the beginning of the warmer temps we have been having but we have seen a 360 turn around and fishing is back to where we like to see it for the NW Angle. We are seeing a lot of nice Walleye, Sauger, Perch, Tulibee and Pike being caught in 20-26 feet on the rocks and sand. The best areas we have seen all year are on rocks and shallow, the fish are feeding on the crayfish. The best colors ave been gold, red, silver and blue on spoons, rattler flyers, ripping raps and buckshots.   Over on the Canadian Side the Walleyes, saugers, Perch, Crappie and Pike continue to bite. The morning and afternoon bite has been best for the Walleye and Crappies. The Crappie bite has been best in 30 plus feet, look for deep holes with trees nearby and 26-28 feet on rock bars, reefs, shoals and humps for Walleyes. Tungsten jigs #6 or #8 have been best for Crappies with red or pink plastics and a wax worm, spring bobbers and electronics are recommended. Buckshots, flyers, flutter spoons, and rippin raps have been successful for Walleyes   With the warmer temps and rain we have recently experienced most of the snow has melted and we are left with water on top of the ice. For snowmobiles it is recommended to have scratchers to prevent overheating. We still have good ice with 24 plus inches and the roads are still good, the approaches are a little rough and sloppy but manageable. With the cold weather coming things should firm up quickly. Check with resorts and guides for up to date ice conditions.   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides Ray King, Dan Schmidt, Professional Fishing Guide, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers.   Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011
    • UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      ISO vexilar pm me what you got and price picture is preferred 
    • flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, NW Angle 1/16/17

Fishing up here in the angle has been great!

On the Minnesota side the Walleye, Sauger and Jumbo Perch bite has been hot. The early morning and afternoon bite has been best and the fish are aggressive. We have been fishing in 21-28 feet on reefs, gravel bars, shoals and rocks. Buckshots, Lindy Flyers, Ripping Raps, and Jigging Raps have all produced fish. Live minnows with demon glow and a bobber have also been successful. Colors of choice have been red glow, gold, pink and green glow. A lot of nice fish in the 29 inch range have been caught as well as large quantities.

Over on the Ontario side the Crappie and Walleye bite has been awesome, better than the days of Red Lake. We have also hooked into the Jumbo Perch and they are of good size and quantity. We’ve been fishing in the 28-34 foot range. Something to know about when fishing up the deep waters of Ontario is the crappie mortality rate is high when releasing crappies in 25' of water or greater.  We encourage guests to catch your desired number of crappies up to your limit and then go target other species of fish.  Crappies and Walleyes sometimes appear to swim back down the hole when released but often times do not make it due to being reeled in so fast from great depths. We still advise anglers to stay on marked trails due to the heavy current changing ice conditions.

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Ray King, Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

• UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      Hello I am looking for this exact reel with the cork handles in left hand it is the black berry 2014 model. I really want one so if you have it pm me I will pay a decent price 

• TactcialFishing
      By TactcialFishing
      Welcome Anglers,

To those who love the sport of ice fishing. We all have a story or two of the BIG ONE that got away. Now we can show the big one that didn't get away! Introducing the Crappie Coffin, the only ice fishing net on the market today. Born out of the frustration of losing that big fish at the top of the hole. I decided to go to work on a solution to this problem. The Crappie Coffin is the result of this effort. Placed in the drilled ice hole, you drop your jig down through the center of the Crappie Coffin and fish as always. The hooked fish is reeled up and enters through the one way passage at the bottom and is then trapped within the net. Also your sonar transducer will work normally placed inside the unit. No more lost fish wrapped around your transducer. Once you use the Crappie Coffin you'll never want to fish without one.

http://www.tacticalfishing.net

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• DTro
      It's truly amazing how social media has transformed our lives.   Seems like not too long ago there was no such thing as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or TikTok.    Where did you go for fishing information, research, brotherhood and fellowship?   You spent a lot of time at bait shops, reading magazines and newspapers, or you dialed up into a fishing discussion bulletin board on the world wide web.   I'm a geek who preferred the electronic version so I spent A LOT of time online reading everything I could on web forums and discussion boards.  I came to find a primary home here with Fishing Minnesota in roughly 2000.   I dove in and met a lot of great fishing and personal friends.  I was provided the opportunity to get involved with the marketing side of fishing and learned quite a bit about the business of fishing.   I've been saddened to see how participation in forums such as this and others I follow, have crashed with the growing popularity of other platforms.   What brings me here though today is to stop by and say hi to all my old fishing friends.  About 4 years ago I started a Catfish/Sturgeon guide service.  It has been growing steadily each year and one of the reoccurring themes I seem to experience is how many of my guests refer to Fishing Minnesota Dot Com and how they came to recognize me and my activity there from years ago.      For several years this site reigned supreme when it came to current fishing news and information and a place where everyone was here to help and became a brotherhood for many.  While there was always some political stuff tossed in, for the most part it was a place to forget about the world and focus on our favorite past time.    Oh how times have changed.....      I hope everyone is doing well and pushing through all the background noise in todays world.  What we are currently experiencing does not bode well for our mental health and I hope things change soon before we find ourselves in another 1863 Gettysburg.   I'll share a great experience I had the other night with a Mother/Daughter captured by Ben Garving (Award winning KARE11 photojournalist).   He really did a great job in capturing what happens when you forget about outside things for a while and spend time with family and just sit back and enjoy our great outdoors.   No matter your political views or your thoughts on our natural resources and how they are managed, this is something we can all come together and embrace.    Take care!   KARE11 Sturgeon Story Click Here
    • gimruis
      I have encountered this problem for years now.  I see all kinds of ducks on the city lakes I fish and then when duck season rolls around, they're STILL on the city lakes and there's virtually none to be found on the ponds I can hunt.
    • JerkinLips
      SkunkedAgain, I will be up early Friday so I will let you know.  Boat and motor (and full minnow bucket) are still in the lake from last week when water temps were 50F.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Yup, I started it. Seeing people post about water temps in the low 40s, and knowing that there will be a lot of cold temps this week....we may see the small bays freeze. I have a vested interest as I'd like to make it up next weekend, but have strong doubts that our small bay will be ice-free. Let's hear those reports as the lake begins to change.
    • Wanderer
      Rick posted a link on this too.  Scroll down a few topics for more info.
    • Wanderer
      One goose for me today.  The other one shrugged off the BBs and left it’s partner with me.   Hard to tell if a person should call or not.  I’ve turned birds both to me and away by calling.  Running a minimal spread.
    • JBMasterAngler
      DNR has a proposal to remove the dam on the Grindstone River, in Hinckley. The reservoir, which serves absolutely no purpose, is about 27 acres, and is nothing but mud and silt. I’m in favor of any and all dam removals! They’re taking comments via e-mail until November 12. If you want to write the DNR, subject e-mail “Grindstone EIS” to [email protected]
    • JBMasterAngler
      Best bet would be to troll tiny flashy spinners until you mark schools of fish. Then use winter tactics when you find them.
    • monstermoose78
    • Wanderer
      It’s an early fall this year. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.