• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I think the jiffy model 30 finnaly died

AlwaysFishing23

Well my dads model 30 finnaly died I think. No commpresion. New plug fresh gas. Still nothing. Leaking gas like crazy. It was originally my grandfathers but my dads been using it since he passed away 3 years ago. Looks like she decided she drilled enough spear holes it's drilled many many many holes. Any one know if she's dead? I'm not a engine guy. Is it worth fixing? Or should I tell him to maybe upgrade? Thanks for the help!

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

I bought mine new in 1984 and it keeps ticking so I haven't had your dilemma yet.  I couldn't say if it is worth fixing but I would lean towards not as I guess there are some nice augers that have been made in the last 30+ years.

I have one and that is a great auger. I did upgrade this year but the Jiffy still runs great. Never did one thing to it and never let me down.

No compression and if it is leaking fuel out of the exhaust, then it is a valve problem, fix-able, but at what cost when compared to a new one or find a used unit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thats what I'm thinking its what 25-30 years old and stating to not run as good as it used to so putting money into probably won't be worth it vs just buying a whole new auger.

Lot of folks dumping gas powered for Ion's, so there may be a good used unit available at 1/2 the price of new.....

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Hoey said:

Lot of folks dumping gas powered for Ion's, so there may be a good used unit available at 1/2 the price of new.....

True enough there!

I was thinking about this trend over the weekend while running my newly repaired Eskimo 8 inch gasser.  It only cost me $12 to repair it though.  I brought the Ion with me as a backup but didn't need it thankfully.  I was planning to cut a lot of holes.

I love my Ion but don't know if I'll give up the gasser anytime soon.  Mixing and using a gallon of gas isn't a big deal as long as nothing is leaking and there's still peace of mind I can cut all day and keep searching for fish.

There are some really good gassers out there but nothing built like that Jiffy 30.  Tanks.  Heavier than I preferred but reliable.  You could probably find another in good shape.

I bought the ion x this year. Sold my jiffy legend 10 in. The jiffy was bulletproof, It was just getting to darn heavy for me as I get older.

Id have to agree great augers but so heavy to lug around out there on the ice. I think ill still stick with my gas powered strikemaster fast, light, durable, reliable ect. I drill a pretty decent amount of holes and over the last year I've had it the thing just never seems to burn gas ( It does). Still always knew there was a jiffy at home if i needed it.;)

Just thought I'd add:  I got the part for my 25 year old Eskimo from Jacks Small Engines on line.  They have lots of parts and do service as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

They are on C L i s t for $50 all the time. No auger will ever be as dependable as they were and are, but too heavy for this old fart. Ion!

Biggest problem with the old ones is getting blades.  I had to retire my Eskimo because the blades were no longer available and the ones that I had were too far gone to sharpen anymore.

However, I replaced it with an Ion and don't miss the weight, repairs or mixing gas.

My grandpa sharpened the point every few spearing trips and put a new blade on every few years was the fastest drilling spear hole drill out on Winnie. And still was earlier  this year. But yes finding blades for them these days can be a bugger. 

Model 30 stands for 30 years or more of a working ice auger, what a bulletproof uint but heavy. RIP30

1 hour ago, Jighead4914 said:

Model 30 stands for 30 years or more of a working ice auger, what a bulletproof uint but heavy. RIP30

Sure is! Holds lots of great memories of standing out there freezing your rear off watching grandpa drill holes with its -20. Fun times:(. How many of you know some one who has or own a model 30 that runs or not?

I own a Jiffy model 30 sounds like a problem I had a couple years a go talked to a mech. he said sometimes the contacts on the flywheel and the solid state ingnition get corroded  took it apart cleaned things up and has worked perfect since also NGKBR2 sparkplug and always premium gas. Just my experience.                                  Stay Safe Good Luck Bear55

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks! I'll talk to him next week and tell him. Hopefully can get it back up and running for next year I know he messed with it some this week with no luck he also put a new plug and is running good fuel.