• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help finding a good spot to fish walleyes.

AlwaysFishing23

Heading up to try a new lake I've never tried tomorrow. I seem to be having a hard time finding a spot to fish eyes I feel confident in. If you were going to fish here where would you try? Thanks!

IMG_0303.PNG

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

If it was me.

Red Stars mornings-evenings.

Black Stars during the day.

Good Luck! :)

IMG_0303.PNG.e4d377a0a657c452006461dca5f27e8d.PNG

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 3

Give that finger tip a try at sun down into the 10 o'clock hour. Tip up 1ft of the bottom in 10-14fow. Medium size sucker 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
1 hour ago, Moneymerse said:

Give that finger tip a try at sun down into the 10 o'clock hour. Tip up 1ft of the bottom in 10-14fow. Medium size sucker 

Yep, Red Star spot on my map! ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Only spot I'd add is the inside corner on the south side of the rock reef/point.  I love saddles and inside corners.

On a semi related note do you guys find the map updates with the Navionics SonarChart subscription to be accurate?  On Lake Marion in Dakota county the depths are way off (ex: says the max death is 51 feet but from experience I know it maxes out at about 24).  It was more accurate, but less resolution before I paid the $5 subscription.  Also the locations if humps etc were off a bit on O'Dowd when I was out there too.  Just wondering what you see...

• Thumbs Up 1

The Navionics Boating App I find very accurate on many lakes at least the ones I fished. The subscription is $9.99 and annual renewal at $4.99. The app gains accuracy through users that have Vexilar, RayMarine, Lawrence etc. sonar units to link to the app. Its Called Sonar Chart Live or Navionics +. Real-time contours are created and uploaded to Navionics who updates the map and provides free updates to all users. Here are side by side contours for the two Navionics maps named Navionics and SonarChart. Navionics is the same chart image on the Web map. Map shows max depth of 36 and 37 ft.

58ae0f5023db8_MarionDakota(800x595).jpg.66f9b1c8b32e7ec6a20ab2bccb6ca372.jpg

I understand that the SonarChart data comes from user submitted data, but I wonder if that data is rife with errors.  Maybe the users set up their sonar wrong or something to contribute to the faulty data?  As your screen shots prove, they're highly inconsistent.  There is no 37 foot hole just south of the words Marion Lake nor along the western shorelines.  Based on my experience on the lake with my sonar in my boat, the Navionics data is more accurate than the Sonar Chart, so I'm not seeing the value in the $4.99 yearly subscription to the user submitted data. I guess I'll have to evaluate on a few different lakes and see, maybe it is just a problem with the data for Marion, I just expected that the user submitted data would be more accurate, not less accurate :)

On a side note, I noticed I could refresh my map update and that at least got rid of the data with the 51' depths, but it still looks like your screen shot on the right.  I'll keep checking for updates in hopes of better data come summer.

• Thumbs Up 1

@AaronTC05 You may be correct on the latest SonarChart update, I looked a Comfort Lake where I lived for 38 years, SonarChart Contours on Big Comfort are also Way Off. Coon Lake and Ottertail Lake still have very accurate SonarChart contours where I have fished. I contacted Navionics on the issue. Will most likely be Mon. or Tue. before they get back to me due to the 8 hour time zone difference.

On 2/24/2017 at 11:14 AM, papadarv said:

I contacted Navionics on the issue. Will most likely be Mon. or Tue. before they get back to me due to the 8 hour time zone difference.

Thanks, will be interested in hearing what they say.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, AaronTC05 said:

Thanks, will be interested in hearing what they say.

Looks like March 20 for an update to Marion and Comfort SonarChart contours.

>Latitude 44.39.622N
>Longitude 93.16.724W

>Nearest Port/City/Lake: Marion Lake
> Area of Description: Lake just south of Lakeville MN
> Detailed Description of Discrepancy: SonarChart contours not correct.
> Reports from others the Navionics contour map much closer to reality"

"Thank you for bringing this issue to our Cartography Department. Navionics appreciates your input.  We anticipate these changes will be made available by 20 MAR 2017.  Once they are complete we will contact you with instructions to receive the correction. Thank you for being a valued and helpful Navionics customer.  Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Have a great day.

Best regards,
Jennifer Pereira
Navionics Customer Service"

@AaronTC05 Just got the email from Navionics, Marion SonarChart now correct.

Dear Darv Bethke,
Thank you for bringing this issue to our Cartography Department. Navionics appreciates your input and we are pleased to inform you the issue has been corrected. The updated data is currently available for Navionics Mobile by updating your maps.  Always make sure you are running the most current version of the mobile app. To refresh your charts within the mobile app, simply download the area of mapping again. You can do this by going to Menu > Download Map and selecting the coverage you wish to update or by going to Menu > Update All to update all of your downloaded maps. Thank you for being a valued and helpful Navionics customer. Have a great day.

Best regards,
Jennifer Pereira
Navionics Customer Service

short video on the update.

Marion UpdateHB.mp4

Thanks @papadarv  Good to know they follow up quickly with great customer services.  It appears as though they just re-set the SonarChart data back to match nearly what Navionics maps have which I guess is better than having bad data and having to switch back and forth all the time :)