• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Borch

St Cloud Area Get Together 2017 - Fishing Reports

Borch

St Cloud Get Together 2/25/17, 8:00 am until you want to leave

The St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot called the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  As of today the ice conditions appear to be adequate.   The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.   So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.    As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots.  ;)

There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.

We will need to monitor ice conditions as it's been a weird winter so far.  Given the current ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

56a438969e969_StCloudGetTogetherMap2.JPG

Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22.  There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23.  DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area.  Instead use the winter access further south(see on map).

I look forwards to seeing you all there!

• Like 4

eyeguy 54

can you mark where the hole is? 

Borch
38 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

can you mark where the hole is? 

I've been told it's not legal for us to do so by the Stearns County Sheriff.  The one year we did put cones out it drew trucks and snowmobiles like flies to poo.  Couldn't believe some didn't get wet.

eyeguy 54

I meant on your map.  stay away from X ;)

Borch
2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I meant on your map.  stay away from X ;)

Oh....... that different. 

It's usually 200-300 yards NNW of the gathering spot.   But it's not always in the same spot.

eyeguy 54

ok,  went one year and kinda spooky not knowing the area. lol 

grandsons birthday party so I cant get there. have fun !

Borch
1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

ok,  went one year and kinda spooky not knowing the area. lol 

grandsons birthday party so I cant get there. have fun !

Too bad you can't make it.  But enjoy the party!

mrpike1973

Hope to make it. hope we have ice by then? Always a good time.

Bass Thumb

I think the methane migrated a couple hundred yards west of where I found it last year. The ice was a couple inches thinner (like 11" instead of 14") and my graph was lit up like crazy with rising bubbles. I don't think there's one single outlet for the gas coming out of the earth, for that matter. An area where I popped 10 holes had bubbles in like 5 of them, and not 5 in a row. It's best to park close to Hammer's Point and walk out to your spots.

To find the spot I'm referring to on the map that Borch put up, draw a line straight above the "L" in Horseshoe Lake, and straight to the left of the black dot inside the yellow icon. The water was 32-36' deep

A week after i found the thinner ice and all those bubbles, I tried that spot again and found no bubbles. . . or cats.

• Like 1

Horseshoe_Don

The ice to the Meth hole may not be safe for Cars or trucks that weekend according to the forecast.   There are many 40 degree high days.   Only one high at 31 degrees and a 50 in there.

Don

Naturboy

I think I'll be walking from now on, the landings always go first. If we don't get back to some cold temps this week might be the last.

Borch

Was hoping for some colder temps.  It's not looking good at all.

Horseshoe_Don

Fishing tournament on Kramer lake by st. joe was cancelled for this weekend

Borch

Yeah, I was hoping for a weather change but it appears there is a significant warming trent stating today.

So to get the information out ahead of time and with he location of the gathering it's just gonna be too iffy to have the gathering this winter.  So it will be canceled.

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Bummer I was going to come over

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

• Similar Content

• Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 2/24/18, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      The St Cloud Get Together will be on Cedar Island Lake near Richmond.    As of today the ice conditions appear to be excellent with 2 feet or more of good ice in all areas except necked down current areas.  The highlighted routes are being traveled frequently at this point.   The Cedar Island Lake is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.   So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.    As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots.  
      There will be a potluck about noon with a raffle drawing following lunch.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.

Cedar Island Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22 east of Horseshoe lake.  There is a public access about 3 miles south of Hwy 23 on CR 71 that is a good option for cars or wheelhouses as the CR 22 access is a bit steep.  For those who have used the winter access for Horseshoe Lake the Cedar Island winter access is directly across the road from this access.

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

• Borch
      By Borch
      See details and join the conversation at the link below. 

http://fishingminnesota.com/forums/topic/210112-st-cloud-area-get-together-22418/

• Horseshoe_Don
      By Horseshoe_Don
      Was out walleye fishing tonight and the cats were pretty aggressive just after dark.   Caught 2 cats that were 4-5 pounds and lost another just as big.   Ate some tasty walleye also.

Don

• esoxrocks01
      By esoxrocks01
      I'll be fishing the red river this weekend from Saturday until Sunday for giant channel kitties.  On the Minnesota side, where is the best public place to shorefish for one of these trophies?  Also, what bait tends to work the best if you're not using cut bait?  I'm looking for alternatives.  Thank you guys!
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 1/30/16, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      When after all of your feedback the St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot call the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  Today the ice conditions where checked again and found to be 14-15" of good ice between the winter access and the gathering area.   Thanks Don and Rick.  The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.  We caught a lot of crappies last year along with the cats.  So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.   With the late ice this winter there hasn't been a lot of people fishing this area.  So fishing could be really good.  As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.
      Given the ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22.  There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23.  DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area.  Instead use the winter access further south(see on map).
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 1/30/16, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      When after all of your feedback the St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot call the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  Today the ice conditions where check again and found to be 14-15" of good ice between the winter access and the gathering area.   Thanks Don and Rick.  The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie, (rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.  We caught a lot of crappies last year along with the cats.  So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.   With the late ice this winter there hasn't been a lot of people fishing this area.  So fishing would be really good.  As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  The is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.
      Given the ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• skyking
      Was up last week on Kab and it seemed that your bait depended on where you were fishing. Some areas leeches did good, but others minnows were the go to. We lindy rigged the entire trip and on days when wind was gusty we did pretty good shallower with minnows in 13 to 20 ft....then some areas we were doing better with leeches 16 to 32 ft. No wind was like the dead sea.
    • Mike89
      catch and eat the crawfish too!!!
    • Uncle Boney
      I can second A Warrior.  Jumbo leeches for Walleye.  Northern were more interested in minnows and crawlers.
    • Harry Goodliffe
      A Carp Anglers Group Fishing social will be on June 23rd in Coon Rapids. If you enter the park from the Coon Rapids side (Egret Blvd), take a left from the parking lot and drive towards the picnic shelters. Take a right at the first stop sign and park in the lot. We will be fishing in the stretch or river behind the picnic shelter/playground. Start time can be before 7am and you can fish into the evening if you want. There will be medals for the 3 largest fish captured.
    • Gone Out Fishin
      Thanks for lots of good info guys.  Sounds like if I do things right I can have fish for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I'll try fishing that reef for some evening walleye. Bobber fish for some sunnies in the weeds.  @delcecchi, I catch enough Walleye in the summer that I really don't want to ask. I won't shy away from a bite. I'll check that little bay for crappies.  @vermilionfox, Wow that is a lot of location data. My PROP thanks you for the rock info!  Merry Go Round? I have another question regarding the Rusty Crawfish... are they a problem on the west side of the lake too? Bloody mini lobsters. I remember spending lots of time using orange for bass and walleye since they were a major food source. Been years since I've done that.  Gone Out Fishin
    • Parmer
      I don't think you will be able to run it on that generator. I have a yamaha 2000 and I have not tried it yet but from everything I have read you need 2800 watts to start the AC. All the 2018 ice castle fish houses are coleman mach 3 plus AC I think. 
    • BigVwalters
      The fishing was pretty decent over the weekend.  Walleyes were biting on rigs with leeches or crawlers. Caught 12 between Friday and Saturday with with 4 nice slotters.   Biggest being a 24".   
    • Borch
      Star Island in Cass Lake has remote, boat in primitive camping as well.
    • A Warrior
      Just returned from a successful trip on Kab.  Minnows did catch fish, but leeches were the ticket
    • Rick
      Angling regulations on Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River in northern Minnesota would change under a proposal being considered by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to reduce the number of walleye and sauger allowed to be kept in the winter on the lake, and on the river allowing only catch-and-release fishing for those fish in the spring.  “We recently went through a public process of updating the Lake of the Woods Fisheries Management Plan and identified several potential areas of concern with regard to current levels of harvest,” said Phil Talmage, Baudette fisheries supervisor. “That’s why we’re discussing these potential changes.” The proposed changes would reduce the aggregate limit of walleye and sauger in the winter to align with the summer regulations on Lake of the Woods, and make spring angling on the Rainy River catch-and-release for walleye and sauger. The changes would go into effect starting March 1, 2019. Anglers will see yellow signs at public water accesses around Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River later this month notifying the public of the proposal. Future news releases will provide the details of a formal public comment period during the fall, and will include ways to provide comment to the DNR on the proposal. For more information on Lake of the Woods management go to mndnr.gov/lakeofthewoods. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.