• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

ANYFISH2

Catfish photos

ANYFISH2

Post up pics of you big, or little, Cats here!

Here are my boys first ever channel cats from this past summer.

20160806_102519_001.thumb.jpg.413444468b9b922f1ff6dec2fe20fdc6.jpg20160806_094443.thumb.jpg.03780079810ae94e5555487d96d20b79.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Midwest Anglers

Love the pics.  I'm headed to Milford Lake in 3 weeks, hope to have some big blue cat pics to post.

Ryan

ANYFISH2

Good luck!

And welcome to FM!

Rick G

20170527_140715.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

eyeguy 54

whisker beast!

Mike89

nice kitties!!

JeremyCampbell

Back to work tommorrow

20170611_150012.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Outy22

Great catch!

Barbelboy

I finally got my dad and son into the same boat for some catfish. Ended up with 4. 2 eaters and 2 dandies.

IMG_1417.jpg

20170702_072045.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

rumeye

I know that spot LOL.............

Barbelboy

Yes sir, I believe you do! :grin:

Daniel Anderson

Here's a few I got the other night... 26.5" and 24". Made the mistake of eating the big one. Think I'll stick to smaller cats from now on. Haha...

20170811_045117.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Daniel Anderson

GF got her first channel cat last week... It was nice, too. Didn't measure or weight, but I'd guess maybe 6-7lbs?

20170811_033345.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Daniel Anderson

Got this fatty night before last. Like my old school smelting net? I've been using it because it had a 6ft handle and makes thinks easy in precarious shore scenarios.

20170811_020829.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Daniel Anderson

Another from the night before last...

20170811_002844.jpg

Last night's hog... 23.5"

20170813_231133.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Daniel Anderson

I've got more, but those are from the last week or so... I wish we had more than just channels up here!

• Thumbs Up 1

Daniel Anderson

Pulled a nice cat out of the Cloquet tonight... 

20170815_223919.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Daniel Anderson

Went and tried a new spot... 3 snacky cats. One of them took my rod straight into the river and I had to dive in after it. Good times.

20170818_230958.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Daniel Anderson

Caught a fatty the other night... 26.5". Looked preggo so I tossed it back. Got it from a bridge at night, was sure it was a 20lb cat until it was out of the water. Somehow snapped a 50lb mono leader at the snell a split second before my buddy got it in the net. Was pretty wild. Cats are way too much fun!

20170821_225327.jpg

Edited by Daniel Anderson
  • Thumbs Up 2

JeremyCampbell

Awesome posts Daniel.:cool:

ANYFISH2

nice catches!

My son keeps trying to convice to take him after cats.  He seems to think they fight good??:grin:

teal50

Cats are fun to catch & fight hard, but I have been unable to make them into something truly worth eating.  I grew up catching channel cats in SDakota and there were very good.  The cats out of the MIssissippi in the Little Falls area consistently have a pronounced algae-muck-weedy bad flavor.  Occasionally, some walleyes late summer have the same from this section of the river.

I have tried removing the fatty areas, dark red-colored meat, soaking them in buttermilk for extended periods and other methods to reduce this off-flavor.  Doing each of these has improved them, but not reduced the bad taste significantly or eliminated it.  Does anybody have any other suggestions on how to eliminate this bad flavor?

• Thumbs Up 1

ANYFISH2

Teal i have the same experience with cats in the LF area, really the only place i fish for them.  I figured i was just doing it wrong!

I really like the walleyes from this stretch however, never a bad one!

phishnerd

Finally got my oldest son (5 years old) out for his first overnight cat fishing adventure.  I was surprised how well he handled the wait in between bites.  After we caught the first fish he wanted to try and hold it.  Right when he got close to it :wham:, tail slap right in the face.  He thought it was hilarious and so did I!  We managed to catch quite a few fish ranging from 5 to 14Lbs.  He can't wait to go back out.  It's great feeling to see that excitement and be able to share a passion of mine with him.  Looks like I'll have a kitty chasing partner from here on out!!!

20170818_221141.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

teal50

Anyfish2...I have had a number of walleyes in the Little Falls area that had the same algae type flavor. This has only been in late summer and is only occasional.  They have tended to be larger in the 20 + inch range. They all had very red colorization in the rib meat area. Basically inedible. I had always thought it was something they were eating. The flavor is identical to the catfish.