• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Jim Almquist

Panfish.....Skin on or Off

Jim Almquist

When you keep a couple to eat what is your favorite way fillet them up for dinner ?

Don't know why but I always like to scale the fish and then fillet it up. I know it tends to curl when frying bit I always feel it has more flavor.

• Thumbs Up 1

eyeguy 54

I just fillet and fry. :) 

sometimes freeze. 

no skin.

monstermoose78

No skin

gunner55

Some smaller gills & sunnies  I'll leave the backbone , ribs, & skin but usually just fillet the bigger ones

Borch

No skin for me.  But if you fry some with skin for me Jim I won't complain.   :D

• Thumbs Up 1

leech~~
9 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

When you keep a couple to eat what is your favorite way fillet them up for dinner ?

Don't know why but I always like to scale the fish and then fillet it up. I know it tends to curl when frying bit I always feel it has more flavor.

The best fish I ever remember eating were pan fish my uncle would give us when I was young and fried up crispy skin on with the fins! Loved um. :) Now, I'm just to lazy and filet. :(

Jim Almquist
8 hours ago, leech~~ said:

The best fish I ever remember eating were pan fish my uncle would give us when I was young and fried up crispy skin on with the fins! Loved um. :) Now, I'm just to lazy and filet. :(

The funny part is that I think it takes me about the same amount of time to clean but it is a lot more mess to contend with when cleaning up.

ANYFISH2

I usually fillet skinless. 

I do agree, the skin on sunfish tastes even better. I just hate to scale.

ozzie

no skin

fishingstar

no sin for my family 

AlwaysFishing23

No skin. Very very rarely do I leave the skin on every so often I will. Scaling takes so much longer and is so messy.

eyeguy 54

skin and scales on if smoking :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Bass Thumb

No skin. However, I know someone who swears by the skin-on, deep-fried method. He says it allows him to get a better, tastier fillet from smaller bluegills in the 6-7" range. 

Edited by Bass Thumb
  • Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• walros
      Maybe see if you slide the winch back on the tongue an inch or two. The roller needs to contact the boat to keep it from bouncing. Should check to make sure the rear bunk rollers line up with the rear transom for stability.  
    • gunner55
      Every rig we've owned the roller is above the eye & snug to the boat when it's loaded.
    • h8go4s
      https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing_piers/index.html
    • Cheers
      I looked at my rig yesterday . It is a matched boat/trailer package from Lund . My roller is above the eye but snug onto the bow , probably an inch maybe more, higher than yours.
    • KidMoe
      If I have where you are right then lake Nokomis is near you. There’s lots of good walleye and crappie in there. If not I might suggest Medicine lake. There’s a handful of shore areas to fish and some easy to access kayakable areas. Lots of northerns and panfish in that lake. Look for weed edges and either cast spoons, spinnerbaits, etc for pike or bobber and work for panfish. Also some bonus walleye in there from time to time. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      Wild trout are more cautious, and basically smarter. I rarely do well with flashy or bright lures on streams with wild trout. But when I fish designated trout lakes up north, it usually doesn’t matter what color I use. But I’ll give the flashy stuff a slight edge.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Went wading on the upper croix today. Started at my secret spot, but high water made it tough to get around. Fish were fairly active though. Caught 5 decent bass and a little pike. Zipped up to highway 70 bridge and gave that a try. Caught 2 really nice walleyes here. But like the other spot, high water made wading not possible. Might come back here with my boat though 🤔  
    • Philco
      I just moved to Minnesota, I live in Maplewood and looking for somewhere near by to fish for catfish from the shore. Any suggestions?
    • ANYFISH2
      Nice to trip for the family it looks like. A round home here in central MN, the fish are very much in that phase of,    Bass- they are three phase right now, some are post spawn, some are spawning and on beds, other are still pre-spawn and staging.  Nice that most tactics can work on a single lake but each day is different.   Panfish are similar, most fish are still staging but alot of males are shallow and some beds are being swept.   Pike-have been all over the board here.  I have figures out a great system yet.   Walleye- are still preferring shiners and other minnows right now.  Leeches have not really produced well with the exception of the river bite.  Most fish still biting in less than 16ft of water.   Water temps- continue to be very lake dependent.  I have been seen 60-65 degrees on most smaller lakes and the bigger 2000 acre lakes I am seeing from 55-60 degrees main lake.
    • Wanderer
      Sounds like you got your money’s worth!   I hunted 3 afternoons in the C season is all, due to being too busy with work and projects or too tired/lazy to get up in the morning.  Didn’t take any time off work to chase with all the COVID stuff going on.  The bird I did get was one one the easiest birds I’ve ever taken on the first day of the last season.     I guess what I’m saying is you EARNED that bird and should rightfully be proud!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.