• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

huskybass

Hey All,
In the past week I have broken my 22 year old 33cc Eskimo auger (loved it), and just last night I burned out a 18v Makita drill on a Clam plate. The drill will be replaced with a brushless.. However, I am still in the market for an auger. Now, before everyone starts saying “go electric,” I will say this.. I drill a lot of holes. 100-200 hole days/weekends. I can’t always keep batteries warm/charged.
So, I’d like opinions on an affordable and somewhat light auger. 2 that come to mind right now are an Eskimo Stingray 33cc w/ 8″ bit. As you know, Eskimo now has a 5 year warranty, which is very appealing. <$280> plus tax. 28lbs.
The other auger I’m considering is a Strikemaster Chipper Lite 1.5hp Solo. Now, I haven’t seen many review for it, but Fleet Farm is advertising it for around $280 as well. 24lbs
I’ve used my buddy’s StrikeLite in the past and really liked it, but that was a 4 stroke.
Should I buy new or used? There are a few in good shape on Craigslist as well..
I really would like to keep the spending around $300 or less.

I've seen Solo Lazer Mags on CL for $250. The 2.5hp shreds ice, even better if you can find a Pro (3hp). If you're really drilling that many holes, get something that rips.

I have an eskimo stingray. Decent auger. If you drill that many holes in would look for something with a little more speed. 

Well, I broke down and bought a brand new Eskimo Mako 43cc.  Started on the 2nd pull right out of the box.  32lbs and cuts like butter.  10% off at Fleet Farm.

• Thumbs Up 2

Same 1 we have. Got ours from L & M online end of the season closeout last year for $60-$80 off retail. Couldn't get the same deal out of the store.

Edited by gunner55

I own the chipper light, changed to the lazer blade/shaft.... it is a fairly good auger, cuts just as fast as some of the more expensive augers... Good deal for the $$$.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Good choice on the Mako, I don't like the weight of the darn thing but it'll last for years and the 5 year warranty sure sets the mind at ease. 

• Thumbs Up 1