• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sletten420

Well im hoping that maybe ill be able to find a little insight as to how i can feed my ice fishing addiction on the weekend. While working all week its not that I have to travel alot to find a lake. Just that i plunged into my addiction being a novice at best. Looking for some advice on what to look for when choosing lakes and how to go about pursuit on the lake.

Jim Uran

What's your fish of choice to pursue? A weekday fish you could find after work are crappies, the basin bite on your local lake/lakes could make for a fun night bite. Panfish in general are fun to chase anytime, northerns are fun to target too but that's more of a weekend thing until we start gaining more daylight. Walleyes are punks to me and I've never been patient enough to target them unless I'm on LOW or Upper Red lol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

gunner55

Definitely panfish, mostly crappies, for me this time of year. A good gill bite is is fun too. I'll actually chase them from late summer / early fall right up until I think they are getting ready to spawn in the spring. Enjoy trying to figure the eyes out during open water too, that's generally May - Sept / Oct. I don't generally target the nords much though as we are on a lake that has a well deserved rep for lots of "hammerhandles"

loadmaster

Hey Jim do you guide for pout on Cass Lake and North Bay????

leech~~
1 hour ago, loadmaster said:

Hey Jim do you guide for pout on Cass Lake and North Bay????

Guide for pout. Is there such a thing? :confused: :D

AlwaysFishing23
31 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Guide for pout. Is there such a thing? :confused: :D

I Don't think so leech!!:D  

Edited by AlwaysFishing23
  • Thumbs Up 1

loadmaster

Thats what I thought.  But I am sure that is what the guy said

AlwaysFishing23

Be cool if there was such a thing. Being people are getting so much more interest in pout it wouldn't be a bad thing I'd say.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Yetzer2468
      By Yetzer2468
      Hey guys! First post so excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong spot. 

I just moved to Elk River, MN and am feening for some fish. I have no idea where to go first but do any of you know any decent spots to get some Crappie or Walleye within a 45 min drive from Elk River? Any spots are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!!!! 
    • smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      Finally, a rain free day on Rainy Lake.

• smalljaw
    • Topwaterordie
      By Topwaterordie
      Anyone got any place that they would like to share with me to catch walleyes from shore. That is good anytime of the season.
      Preferably public land. I've got bad hips and cant be lifting my canoe any longer, so Im stuck to fishing on the shore. If you have
      any ideas of places let me know. Id be grateful for the advice.

Minnesota or North Dakota advise welcome.

Oh, Ill be fishing at night mostly. Ill be using live bait, Chubs and leeches.

Thanks!
    • Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• cg2
      By cg2
      Anyone know of lakes with decent shore fishing near Mankato? I've gone to North Shore on Madison Lake but can't find any shore on other lakes near by. Any suggestions?
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Up here in the Northwest Angle lines are tight and fish are biting! Water temps are warmer in the shallows at 50-52 degrees to upper 40’s in the main lake.

Recent weather was not great but the fishing was. Some of the best action has been within a few miles of the lodge. Walleyes have been found anywhere from 3 to 30ft. 22-30ft with a jig and minnow is best during daylight hours. 

Multiple trophy walleye were caught this week including a couple 28’s and one 31 inch.  The bite off of the dock late evening is really heating up and will produce limits.

Come up soon to take advantage of great spring fishing! 

Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Sheez it's quiet here. 🙄 any ice reports. Cabin lake had about 4 inches in front of our cabin. We had to chop that much around the dock to get that out.   Our group went  3 fer 5 deer hunting. Going back up for the last weekend.
    • birdswacker
      Wow that’s a dandy!!!
    • smurfy
      I can't believe the ice is that thick on the shoe already. There was open water on the spunk lake off 94 in Avon on Friday afternoon 
    • eyeguy 54
      I was busy this last week butchering and killing but thx for the tips on those spots!
    • AlwaysFishing23
      I was able to get out for a bit today. Lake had good ice (5-6”) and was able to ice a few nice gills. I did get to drill about 20 holes with the drill/auger setup. Wow is all I can say. Butter smooth and FAST! Very nice, 20 holes and never dropped the battery down one bar. Just pull the trigger and go, no gas no pulling no mess. But I did have a lot of torque to deal with like I expected. The drill did great so I’m going to invest in the clam drill plate and a 6” lazer auger. I have the 8” lazer now so I should have a lot less torque and more holes per charge. As far I know from reading and YouTube the lazer auger (Hand auger) should bolt right on the plate without any other needed adapters? 
    • Horseshoe_Don
      got home tonight from deer hunting and decided to check the ice.    I had trouble finding a spot to get on the ice since  it has pulled away for the shoreline.    Once I got out on the ice I found 5" of clear solid ice out as far as 100 yards.   Don   
    • MJ1657
      Hopefully get the antlers back from the taxidermist tomorrow so we can score them. Should be 150+
    • Wanderer
      I think most of them moved on with the full moon last week.  I hear SE MN is still good I.e. Lake Pepin.  Reports from Mille Lacs/Leech/Winnie have been quiet.  I know some people that have been looking.  Haven’t had much of report from western MN for a week.  
    • monstermoose78
    • Borch
      No. No, No....   It's the shallow rock pile off the.inside corner of the old river channel.     Jeez....